Glasto
(03-14-2024, 08:34 AM)Man from delmonte Wrote: It's a desperately poor line up. There's some really good stuff much further down the bill like Alvvays and Blondshell but on the whole there are very few acts on there which I'd be interested in seeing. I think anyone going this year is getting very poor value for the considerable outlay for their ticket.

Aye. First time ever I’ve missed out two years running but feels like the line up is a rehash of the last 5 festivals anyway so that’s cushioned the blow
Someone could have been killed
Oh dear- to be honest think they could do worse than try to entice some 80s bands along who are still doing well on the circuit filling big arenas. Tears For Fears and Duran Duran I've seen in recent times and the shows have been excellent and there's enough well known hits to keep the crowd singing along.
By the way, saw Echo and The Bunnymen last night at the old Dome- excellent show and surprising how many young whipper-snappers were there.
(03-14-2024, 09:03 AM)Man from delmonte Wrote: Confidence Man are an excellent live act. The second album didn't live up to the promise of the first, a couple of the singles aside, but I've seen them live quite a few times and they're great fun.

Fair play. This is what I meant when I said I've lost touch. There's nothing in their live show for me - each to their own, though.
Pyramid is a shocker bar LCD but there's plenty at the Other Stage, Woodsies and Park to fill my time until the fun starts at midnight. Just need a ticket on resale.
(03-14-2024, 09:07 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 08:34 AM)Man from delmonte Wrote: It's a desperately poor line up. There's some really good stuff much further down the bill like Alvvays and Blondshell but on the whole there are very few acts on there which I'd be interested in seeing. I think anyone going this year is getting very poor value for the considerable outlay for their ticket.

Aye. First time ever I’ve missed out two years running but feels like the line up is a rehash of the last 5 festivals anyway so that’s cushioned the blow

This to me is a problem with a lot of festivals at the moment. I see the bills for the likes of Kendal Calling, Y Not, Truck, Victorious etc. and they all pretty much look exactly the same and similar to what they've had on in recent years. I know there is a lot in the press about certain festivals having to cancel this year due to financial problems but the reality seems to be that there have been far too many newer festivals which have started over the last 10-15 years but which don't offer anything different at all and are showing the same old acts on the circuit.

I'll just be doing the Great Escape in Brighton in May and Manchester Psych Fest in August. Relatively cheap tickets, not dependent on the weather with pretty much everything being indoors and, in the case of Great Escape, virtually all very new acts so you're getting to see something new and interesting.
(03-14-2024, 09:07 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Oh dear- to be honest think they could do worse than try to entice some 80s bands along who are still doing well on the circuit filling big arenas. Tears For Fears and Duran Duran I've seen in recent times and the shows have been excellent and there's enough well known hits to keep the crowd singing along.
By the way, saw Echo and The Bunnymen last night at the old Dome- excellent show and surprising how many young whipper-snappers were there.

I've been arguing for years that Duran Duran would absolutely crush the Sunday afternoon legend slot. But apparently whenever the festival has approached them they've been headline or nothing so it's never happened. They do book the likes of Crowded House, Tears For Fears and Echo though.

The problem Glastonbury always has is that it pays considerably less than other festivals, it's run as an NPO and any surplus at the end of the year is donated to charity, this means they haven't got huge sums to throw at acts. They have flat fees which artists either take or they don't - most acts playing are taking a pay cut and do it for the prestige of playing the biggest festival in the world and the watching tv audience. Despite all this they've still managed to book bona fide megastars like The Stones, McCartney, Springsteen, U2, Elton etc... but there have been a few that have refused to lower their fees so have never played - Madonna, Fleetwood Mac, Stone Roses, Prince...

Apparently Madonna decided quite late in the day she wasn't going to do it so they've had to bump SZA up to headliner from lower down the bill.
(03-14-2024, 09:02 AM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 08:44 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: I’m looking forward to it!!

I’m going to pitch my tent at the end of my garden and put my small tv in my living room that I can watch from my tent, in order to get the true Glastonbury experience. Big Grin

Don't forget the hosepipe with a sprinkler head attachment hooked up to a tap. And wellies  Wink .

Big Grin

I forgot, I will also use a porta pottie and not flush it.

Where do I send my 1/3rd of a grand?
I told you I’ll be back
(03-14-2024, 09:26 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 09:07 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Oh dear- to be honest think they could do worse than try to entice some 80s bands along who are still doing well on the circuit filling big arenas. Tears For Fears and Duran Duran I've seen in recent times and the shows have been excellent and there's enough well known hits to keep the crowd singing along.

I've been arguing for years that Duran Duran would absolutely crush the Sunday afternoon legend slot. But apparently whenever the festival has approached them they've been headline or nothing so it's never happened. They do book the likes of Crowded House, Tears For Fears and Echo though.

The problem Glastonbury always has is that it pays considerably less than other festivals, it's run as an NPO and any surplus at the end of the year is donated to charity, this means they haven't got huge sums to throw at acts. They have flat fees which artists either take or they don't - most acts playing are taking a pay cut and do it for the prestige of playing the biggest festival in the world and the watching tv audience. Despite all this they've still managed to book bona fide megastars like The Stones, McCartney, Springsteen, U2, Elton etc... but there have been a few that have refused to lower their fees so have never played - Madonna, Fleetwood Mac, Stone Roses, Prince...

Apparently Madonna decided quite late in the day she wasn't going to do it so they've had to bump SZA up to headliner from lower down the bill.

Stone Roses were announced as headliners in 95 but pulled out when John Squire fell off his bike.
(03-14-2024, 09:17 AM)richbaggie Wrote: Pyramid is a shocker bar LCD but there's plenty at the Other Stage, Woodsies and Park to fill my time until the fun starts at midnight. Just need a ticket on resale.

LCD deserve a far better slot than trying gamely to a bunch of bored people waiting for Dua Lipa.

Beck had exactly the same problem before Coldplay a few years back.
(03-14-2024, 09:33 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(03-14-2024, 09:17 AM)richbaggie Wrote: Pyramid is a shocker bar LCD but there's plenty at the Other Stage, Woodsies and Park to fill my time until the fun starts at midnight. Just need a ticket on resale.

LCD deserve a far better slot than trying gamely to a bunch of bored people waiting for Dua Lipa.

Beck had exactly the same problem before Coldplay a few years back.

LCD would be better headlining Other Saturday night with Disclosure subbing Lipa.