Barts
Playing devil's advocate here if it is just the 2 weeks I think Bartley could actually benefit from the rest. It's not long enough for him to get too rusty and need games to bed back in.

Semi coming back in and game ready too having played every minute for Nigeria. Real shame he's not available for tonight.
(02-10-2024, 10:02 PM)Cuzer Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 05:06 PM)BurleyBaggie Wrote: What was telling today was having Pieters on the bench, who was a stalwart under CC last year, fail to come on for KB.

Instead we took the best player on the park from midfield and effectively lost 2 players. To be clear this isn’t questioning CC, it’s more an indication of where Pieters is fitness wise and his deterioration.

As I stated last summer giving him another 12 months was woeful business, seen nothing so far this season to change that opinion 

Cuzer

Fully agree with this but so many people on here wanted to give him another year. As a club we've got into the habit of keeping players until they're just ready for the knacker's yard by the end of their contract.
Pieters is the exact sort of older players we should have in the squad. Perpetually fit. Grafter. Great experience. Can fill in a couple of positions. Cheap as chips.
(02-13-2024, 08:09 AM)Man from delmonte Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 10:02 PM)Cuzer Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 05:06 PM)BurleyBaggie Wrote: What was telling today was having Pieters on the bench, who was a stalwart under CC last year, fail to come on for KB.

Instead we took the best player on the park from midfield and effectively lost 2 players. To be clear this isn’t questioning CC, it’s more an indication of where Pieters is fitness wise and his deterioration.

As I stated last summer giving him another 12 months was woeful business, seen nothing so far this season to change that opinion 

Cuzer

Fully agree with this but so many people on here wanted to give him another year. As a club we've got into the habit of keeping players until they're just ready for the knacker's yard by the end of their contract.
I suspect Okay had to drop back to deal with Kiefer Moore who is top draw in the air , I don't blame the club for keeping Pieters as there was little money at that point and he covers 2 areas depending on what system we play . He won't be on much money and has allowed a couple of youngsters to go out on loan too .
Happy to be corrected on this but where has this come from that Pieters is a 'cheap' option? Whilst we picked him up on a free, I doubt an ex-Holland international who has played virtually all his career in the Premier League or the Eriedivisie is likely to be on peanuts.
(02-13-2024, 09:48 AM)Man from delmonte Wrote: Happy to be corrected on this but where has this come from that Pieters is a 'cheap' option? Whilst we picked him up on a free, I doubt an ex-Holland international who has played virtually all his career in the Premier League or the Eriedivisie is likely to be on peanuts.

https://salarysport.com/football/player/erik-pieters/

Found this .. whether correct or not.
(02-13-2024, 09:58 AM)rsbaggy2 Wrote:
(02-13-2024, 09:48 AM)Man from delmonte Wrote: Happy to be corrected on this but where has this come from that Pieters is a 'cheap' option? Whilst we picked him up on a free, I doubt an ex-Holland international who has played virtually all his career in the Premier League or the Eriedivisie is likely to be on peanuts.

https://salarysport.com/football/player/erik-pieters/

Found this .. whether correct or not.

Fair enough.
Pieters really couldn’t come on to mark Kieffer Moore.As it was we ended up losing the midfield when Yokuslu went back but it was still the right decision.Allowing Taylor to go to Bolton was always a risk,I hope that it doesn’t come back to haunt us.
(02-13-2024, 10:49 AM)Huggybear Wrote: Pieters really couldn’t come on to mark Kieffer Moore.As it was we ended up losing the midfield when Yokuslu went back but it was still the right decision.Allowing Taylor to go to Bolton was always a risk,I hope that it doesn’t come back to haunt us.

Believe Taylor had to go off for Bolton , not sure how bad it is .