You’re in the army now!
(01-24-2024, 05:48 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: If someone kills Putin and a sensible bloke takes over, then we can all leave happily ever after once more.

They’ve been flexing their muscles for too long, intentionally flying in to different countries air space and sailing in to waters they shouldn’t.

The west should have stood up to Putin when they invaded Crimea, instead of letting him think he can invade whatever country he likes and get away with it.

What does standing up to Russia in reality look like? Shaking a metaphorical fist at them and going grrr? Simply by sheer force of numbers and the fact western countries are not going to treat their populations as canon fodder like it’s the Great War again means it’s a pretty moot point unless it’s just to ask other country’s to fight on our behalf And we sell them arms to help.
(01-24-2024, 05:54 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 05:48 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: If someone kills Putin and a sensible bloke takes over, then we can all leave happily ever after once more.

They’ve been flexing their muscles for too long, intentionally flying in to different countries air space and sailing in to waters they shouldn’t.

The west should have stood up to Putin when they invaded Crimea, instead of letting him think he can invade whatever country he likes and get away with it.

What does standing up to Russia in reality look like? Shaking a metaphorical fist at them and going grrr? Simply by sheer force of numbers and the fact western countries are not going to treat their populations as canon fodder like it’s the Great War again means it’s a pretty moot point unless it’s just to ask other country’s to fight on our behalf And we sell them arms to help.

It's a war of attrition and both sides have suffered heavy losses of men and equipment. I don't think there are sufficient resources to fight another world war.
I don't think you should change a winning team. Can't we just send those that won the last war?
(01-24-2024, 12:35 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: [Image: GEm40wTWAAIbAza?format=jpg&name=medium]

Form an orderly queue…

Richy's latest pitch to stop the boats, in fairness it's probably his best shot.
You have to laugh.seriously expecting the parents of the U.K. to say yeah go ahead take my sons and daughters to fight for you bunch of corrupt cowardly bastards crack on! I would grab both my boys and break there legs before putting them to fight for this shithole country

(01-24-2024, 05:19 PM)baggie93 Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 01:02 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 12:57 PM)Ted Maul Wrote: National service is always shouted loudest for by the fuckers who managed to avoid it last time.

Yep, no one under 75 has done national service and yet there are some very keen to inflict it on others.
Yes..im.one of em. But i grew up with discipline and respect..unlike many now. And obvs 'some' parents arent instilling that so yeh..id happily inflict it on some of the arseoles skulking around now.

My kids are lovely well mannered hard working citizens who have contributed to society financially and socially. What gives you the fucking right to say send them off to war to fight for a bunch of corrupt bastards?
Here's a suggestion - bin off Capita.

Being in the armed forces doesn't pay well, adding in several months of delays for applications for a not well paying job because Capita are incompetent at processing applications puts people off that have already applied.

I will also say - from having a Greek mate - that mandatory national service precipitates brain drain as mobile people who don't want to deal with it won't deal with it and will leave.
There are a few people in this country I'd be happy to take up arms against before I start considering state funded murder anywhere else.
Who on earth would want to be around for the post apocalyptic aftermath anyway.

To Greenland!
Someone could have been killed
(01-24-2024, 11:18 PM)johntoewba Wrote: You have to laugh.seriously expecting the parents of the U.K. to say yeah go ahead take my sons and daughters to fight for you bunch of corrupt cowardly bastards crack on! I would grab both my boys and break there legs before putting them to fight for this shithole country

(01-24-2024, 12:57 PM)Ted Maul Wrote: National service is always shouted loudest for by the fuckers who managed to avoid it last time.

Yep, no one under 75 has done national service and yet there are some very keen to inflict it on others.
Yes..im.one of em. But i grew up with discipline and respect..unlike many now. And obvs 'some' parents arent instilling that so yeh..id happily inflict it on some of the arseoles skulking around now.

My kids are lovely well mannered hard working citizens who have contributed to society financially and socially. What gives you the fucking right to say send them off to war to fight for a bunch of corrupt bastards?

If your Grandparents said that, your kids would be speaking German.

It won't come to conscription. Russia is too thinly spread, all they have is Nukes. My daughter is 21 and I share your anxiety.
(01-25-2024, 02:31 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(01-24-2024, 11:18 PM)johntoewba Wrote: You have to laugh.seriously expecting the parents of the U.K. to say yeah go ahead take my sons and daughters to fight for you bunch of corrupt cowardly bastards crack on! I would grab both my boys and break there legs before putting them to fight for this shithole country

If your Grandparents said that, your kids would be speaking German.

It won't come to conscription. Russia is too thinly spread, all they have is Nukes. My daughter is 21 and I share your anxiety.
If (and it’s a massive “if”) conscription happened, then it’s surely not about fighting for a corrupt government. Or even serving “King and Country”. It’s about preserving a way of life. The freedoms you enjoy daily. The right to have opinions and vent them. The consequence of not fighting is what? Allow (for example) Putin to just walk in and take what he wants? Nobody wants to go to war, but surely some things are worth fighting for? I read somewhere that over 150 thousand Ukrainian men have fled the country, as is their right (as much as that personally disgusts me). But I hope that when Ukraine is returned, those who fled (and their families) get none of the social benefits. No free healthcare, no free education, blacklisted for certain jobs, etc. If you won’t fight for your country, what will you fight for?