Tight
(12-26-2023, 06:32 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Think we are pretty much in a weird niche spot or our own in fifth and that's where I expect we will end up

Still think we can have a crack at the top 2. If this were a horse race, you’d put a target on Southampton/Leeds’ back and expect that Ipswich drop back through the pack - which they will.
(12-26-2023, 11:42 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 06:32 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Think we are pretty much in a weird niche spot or our own in fifth and that's where I expect we will end up

Still think we can have a crack at the top 2. If this were a horse race, you’d put a target on Southampton/Leeds’ back and expect that Ipswich drop back through the pack - which they will.

Admire your optimism but there’s absolutely nothing suggesting that we can close that gap. We’ve just come off the back of 2 away defeats and all four above us have been more consistent. 
Leicester will romp away and I expect Leeds or Southampton have stronger squads. 
We have to hope for the playoffs and we get the form and luck to get up.

Don’t see it myself. We’re 14 points behind Ipswich. Making up that ground would be very hard to do let alone having to also overtake Leeds and Soton who have bigger and better squads than us. I’d say 5th is a fair reflection of where we should be and where we should realistically be aiming for.
(12-27-2023, 12:07 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:

Admire your optimism but there’s absolutely nothing suggesting that we can close that gap. We’ve just come off the back of 2 away defeats and all four above us have been more consistent. 
Leicester will romp away and I expect Leeds or Southampton have stronger squads. 

Agree.

As was said at the start of the season, the three relegated sides are head and shoulders above the rest of the division but outside of those 3 teams there’s very little for us to fear. For all the deserved praise CC is rightfully receiving, we arguably have one of the best 6 squads in the division in terms of budget and depth, we are about where we ought to be IMO. 

Concerning thing is with the takeover very unlikely to be completed by the time the transfer window opens and our need to reduce wages means I expect offers for Kipré and Mowatt to arrive quite rapidly given their contracts expiring and the latter being one of our bigger earners. Would be a huge loss if either were to go, particularly given we saw again yesterday why Chalobah should be nowhere near the side.
(12-27-2023, 01:30 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Agree.

As was said at the start of the season, the three relegated sides are head and shoulders above the rest of the division but outside of those 3 teams there’s very little for us to fear. For all the deserved praise CC is rightfully receiving, we arguably have one of the best 6 squads in the division in terms of budget and depth, we are about where we ought to be IMO. 

Concerning thing is with the takeover very unlikely to be completed by the time the transfer window opens and our need to reduce wages means I expect offers for Kipré and Mowatt to arrive quite rapidly given their contracts expiring and the latter being one of our bigger earners. Would be a huge loss if either were to go, particularly given we saw again yesterday why Chalobah should be nowhere near the side.

I missed the last five mins of the game but what did Chalobah do wrong? The last ten mins or so Norwich threw caution to the wind to get an equaliser and we made a lot of subs and lost any rhythm we had. Chalobah was far better than Fellows who was our poorest player when he came on.
(12-27-2023, 10:38 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Agree.

I missed the last five mins of the game but what did Chalobah do wrong? The last ten mins or so Norwich threw caution to the wind to get an equaliser and we made a lot of subs and lost any rhythm we had. Chalobah was far better than Fellows who was our poorest player when he came on.

Lost the ball once in our half but I thought he was decent enough, apart from that. Helped us move and keep the ball further up the pitch.

Agree.

Lapse in concentration and gifted them the ball with most of our players at the wrong end. We got away with it, (deservedly on balance), but it could have been costly. It was the sort of thing a sub does when not up to the pace of the game and a reason I can't go along with multiple subs in the 80something minute.
(12-27-2023, 11:14 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(12-26-2023, 11:42 PM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote: Still think we can have a crack at the top 2. If this were a horse race, you’d put a target on Southampton/Leeds’ back and expect that Ipswich drop back through the pack - which they will.

Agree.

Lapse in concentration and gifted them the ball with most of our players at the wrong end. We got away with it, (deservedly on balance), but it could have been costly. It was the sort of thing a sub does when not up to the pace of the game and a reason I can't go along with multiple subs in the 80something minute.

I agree about making so many subs so late on it makes teams and games very disjointed. Chalobah lost the ball, but I could point to Diangana, Fellows, Ajayi even Swift etc etc losing the ball and putting the team under pressure. It does seem that Chalobah is judged by different criteria than other players in the squad by some of our fans. Personally thought he was one of our better subs and added impetus to a tiring midfield.
(12-27-2023, 11:26 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(12-27-2023, 12:07 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Admire your optimism but there’s absolutely nothing suggesting that we can close that gap. We’ve just come off the back of 2 away defeats and all four above us have been more consistent. 

Agree.

I agree about making so many subs so late on it makes teams and games very disjointed. Chalobah lost the ball, but I could point to Diangana, Fellows, Ajayi even Swift etc etc losing the ball and putting the team under pressure. It does seem that Chalobah is judged by different criteria than other players in the squad by some of our fans. Personally thought he was one of our better subs and added impetus to a tiring midfield.

I thought he was good going forward but he doesn't appear to have the urgency sometimes in defence. I have no problem with him and think he's a useful squad member. We have made very costly lapses in a few games last month so expect the players are under instructions how to see a game out. It was a lapse in concentration from a late sub. We got away with it, I'm sure CC noted it though.
(12-27-2023, 11:26 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(12-27-2023, 12:07 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Admire your optimism but there’s absolutely nothing suggesting that we can close that gap. We’ve just come off the back of 2 away defeats and all four above us have been more consistent. 

Agree.

Problem with Chalobah is the mistake he made at the end wasn’t an isolated occurrence, these lapses happen in most of his sub appearances and he’s not good enough to play a role from the start. When he’s given a run of games he can perform, but again he takes a while to get going, and whilst there’s space for the odd 6/10 performer in any team whilst they get up to speed (eg. Phillips post injuries), Chalobah always has a big ruck in him. Added to this, he’s one of our highest earners.

Ultimately a crap signing that has had 5 negligent to negligible performances for every 1 decent one. Another couple million pissed away by Fat Ron and Fat Ian.