"Energy bills could rise to cover consumer debts"
Is an interesting take, on matters, isn't it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67725424
Would rather talk to ChatGPT
No wonder they've been trying to con every fucker onto a smart meter
Someone could have been killed
They've had a collective tough year, raising just £1.7bn in profits and someone has to pick up the tab at Simpsons.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin...88968.html
Would rather talk to ChatGPT
Unlike anyone else you owe a debt to, an energy company can enter your home to fit a prepayment meter to recover any debts. Why on Earth would everyone else’s bills have to rise?
Money for jam, the crooks. Over the years I've had a few customers go bump then not pay me. Guess what happened? Nothing. Guess what didn't happen? Me putting my rates up for everyone else that did pay. These, and some other utilities, should be taken into public control.
Private - profit
State - loss cover

What a swizz
(12-16-2023, 08:50 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: Money for jam, the crooks. Over the years I've had a few customers go bump then not pay me. Guess what happened? Nothing.  Guess what didn't happen? Me putting my rates up for everyone else that did pay.  These, and some other utilities, should be taken into public control.

If you took these utilities into public control it wouldn't make any difference to the rest of us covering private debts. In fact, in all likelihood it'd get worse.
But it would mean that those profiting from taking no risk were no longer the people that currently are
(12-16-2023, 10:05 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: But it would mean that those profiting from taking no risk were no longer the people that currently are

We eradicated private risk in 2008. It's the root of most of our problems economically and several of them socially.
As we've discussed before, won't get any argument from me on that. We just have different solutions.