Goal of the season
(11-28-2023, 08:42 AM)NewWanker Wrote:
(11-28-2023, 07:41 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(11-27-2023, 10:07 AM)AnelkasBeard Wrote:
(11-27-2023, 07:37 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: The subjective nature of goals is there’s no real answer but surely complete cohesion with a team goal is the best type of goal. It is, after all, a team game.
To me that goal Jack Wishere scored some years ago was just poetry in motion. The great individual strike is a 1 in a 1000 thing.
The beating of players on a solo run is the height of individual skill. Occasion also counts, like in a big game. That is why the likes of Carlos Alberto and Maradona’s goals that were in the World Cup huge games are immortalised.

That's why Bale's overhead in the Champs League final is ahead of Garnacho's too.

Simply many of us, in our heyday, could catch a 30 yarder just right one in a 1000 times. You can see footage of low level games where someone blasts in a screamer. 
None of us could do what Maradona did with his solo effort in 86. To score a brilliant goal in a high level game with the world watching is something else. 
Garnachos goal was excellent but it won’t be remembered in a couple of years by other than United fans.

As has been said it's all subjective. For me I don't rate Maradona's goal as there were no real challenges made, you could argue he made it hard to be challenged. Same as that Giggs goal where he ran a long way, no real challenges made on him though.

The speed, balance and accuracy of the runs, along with the calmness to saunter through all those players is what makes the goals special.

Spandau is correct (in bold). Benteke scored an almost carbon copy of Garnacho's goal for Liverpool a few years ago, no-one remembers it happened. Everyone remembers Bale's though, because he did it when it truly mattered.
I reckon the goals Spandau would score if given a season up front for Man City would be memorable Wink
(11-28-2023, 09:18 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: I reckon the goals Spandau would score if given a season up front for Man City would be memorable Wink

I'm imagining a fiercely struck shot from 20 yards, spurred on by the ire of seeing all the Christmas decorations in November  Smile
Personally I thought Olise's goal for Palace against Luton was better. Picked it up on the half way line, beat a few men before curling it in from the edge of the box.
(11-28-2023, 09:18 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: I reckon the goals Spandau would score if given a season up front for Man City would be memorable Wink

When I was 15 at a school game on Four Dwellings pitch in Quinton I got the ball 40 yards out beat two players and hit a swerving 25 yarder into the top corner beyond the goalie, who was well over 6ft at the time. It remains my footballing highlight.

None of the current Man City team would have got near me, as they hadn't been born.

Now at 58 I think I would need De Bruyne to tee me up with some tap ins.
(11-28-2023, 09:39 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:

When I was 15 at a school game on Four Dwellings pitch in Quinton I got the ball 40 years out beat two players and hit a swerving 25 yarder into the top corner beyond the goalie, who was well over 6ft at the time. It remains my footballing highlight.

None of the current Man City team would have got near me, as they hadn't been born.

Now at 58 I think I would need De Bruyne to tee me up with some tap ins.

Mine was the red card and subsequent 22 man brawl for my uni halls team against the Christian Union team.
(11-28-2023, 09:36 AM)Duffers Wrote: Personally I thought Olise's goal for Palace against Luton was better. Picked it up on the half way line, beat a few men before curling it in from the edge of the box.

Yes. It was completely created by himself. This all begs the question was Cyrille's goal of the season v Norwich that great. I would argue it was due to the control beforehand. It was more than just a blaster.

Personally I think some of Cyrille's solo efforts where he beat several players were better. Sadly many of these were not televised.
(11-28-2023, 09:42 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(11-28-2023, 09:36 AM)Duffers Wrote: Personally I thought Olise's goal for Palace against Luton was better. Picked it up on the half way line, beat a few men before curling it in from the edge of the box.

Yes. It was completely created by himself. This all begs the question was Cyrille's goal of the season v Norwich that great. I would argue it was due to the control beforehand. It was more than just a blaster.

Personally I think some of Cyrille's solo efforts where he beat several players were better. Sadly many of these were not televised.

Some of Cyrille's goals were a CF dream. Power and Grace.
His goal against MU is always remembered, but he was scoring those almost every week.