Pubs known by a nickname
(10-26-2023, 11:08 AM)hudds Wrote:
(10-26-2023, 07:56 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 08:42 PM)Boinger Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 06:12 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 06:06 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Another ex-local of mine, The Wrenna.
I'm surprised no one from West Brom is on here, most of the pubs there had a nickname. The Jinglers, for one. The Rampa Tampa another.

Did you ever go in the Gipsies Tent?

And there was one or two pubs where the traffic lights are now by the old Vauxhall Garage (by the burnt down Snooker Club)
One was the Shakespeare I think. I still go in the Lamp.

Cheers, Boinger.

On page 617 of the Dudley PDF file there is a 2013 photo of the Shakespeare before it shut. In the background is a red brick former pub, now HMO or similar...

Any ideas what that was called?

https://www.longpull.co.uk/downloads.html

Blimey - The Castle and Falcon on Wolvo Street.  That was another shithole near the Cowshed.  I went in there a few time about 1975;  it says it closed in the 70s, so I was lucky to see it in its aged splendour....

What a website! Just spent a glorious 2 hours reading that.
I remember the pub but don't recognise the name. Not the most fashionable venue even in a street permanently threatened with demolition. My early drinking years it was a stop off just to keep the crawl going. As I remember it had a bar running along the streetfront with - like many pubs along there - a free standing woodburner and stovepipe in the middle of the bar area. What could go wrong, eh? 
A weeknight would involve a walk past the waterworks to meet at the Salamander, The Sally, (a very poor pint of Ansells). Over the road to The Struggling man, the Struggler, (Hansons), down to the Oak (a freehouse) then meet some more mates in The Grange (Banks's). a very decent pub with the attraction of students from the teachers training college. Or, meet at the Wrenna, catch the D1 buz to Dudley, always finishing at the Saracens. The days when it was affordable to go out every night.
(10-26-2023, 08:18 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 06:12 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: Did you ever go in the Gipsies Tent?

And there was one or two pubs where the traffic lights are now by the old Vauxhall Garage (by the burnt down Snooker Club)

Cheers, Boinger.

On page 617 of the Dudley PDF file there is a 2013 photo of the Shakespeare before it shut. In the background is a red brick former pub, now HMO or similar...

Blimey - The Castle and Falcon on Wolvo Street.  That was another shithole near the Cowshed.  I went in there a few time about 1975;  it says it closed in the 70s, so I was lucky to see it in its aged splendour....

I remember the pub but don't recognise the name. Not the most fashionable venue even in a street permanently threatened with demolition. My early drinking years it was a stop off just to keep the crawl going. As I remember it had a bar running along the streetfront with - like many pubs along there - a free standing woodburner and stovepipe in the middle of the bar area. What could go wrong, eh? 
A weeknight would involve a walk past the waterworks to meet at the Salamander, The Sally, (a very poor pint of Ansells). Over the road to The Struggling man, the Struggler, (Hansons), down to the Oak (a freehouse) then meet some more mates in The Grange (Banks's). a very decent pub with the attraction of students from the teachers training college. Or, meet at the Wrenna, catch the D1 buz to Dudley, always finishing at the Saracens. The days when it was affordable to go out every night.

It is great, an incredible reference point.

Not yet mentioned (I think)...

The Old Swan in Netherton - Ma Pardoes!
(10-26-2023, 08:18 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 06:12 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: Did you ever go in the Gipsies Tent?

Cheers, Boinger.

I know all those pubs - went with mates from The Priory - The Sally for the pool table; The Griffin was a destination in town proper for the quality of the ale.
(10-26-2023, 05:28 PM)hudds Wrote: I think the Five Ways in Lower Gornal was/is known as the Widders.

Correct. My brother in laws late dad used to run it. Lovely old pub
(10-29-2023, 12:37 PM)johntoewba Wrote:
(10-26-2023, 05:28 PM)hudds Wrote: I think the Five Ways in Lower Gornal was/is known as the Widders.

Correct. My brother in laws late dad used to run it. Lovely old pub

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/loca...alls-flat/
(10-26-2023, 02:37 PM)Bartley_baggie Wrote: Dirty Betts, Hagley rd The Talbot

Also known as The Shed.
(10-29-2023, 01:20 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote:
(10-26-2023, 02:37 PM)Bartley_baggie Wrote: Dirty Betts, Hagley rd The Talbot

Also known as The Shed.

I knew it as the chalet
(10-25-2023, 06:12 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 06:06 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Another ex-local of mine, The Wrenna.
I'm surprised no one from West Brom is on here, most of the pubs there had a nickname. The Jinglers, for one. The Rampa Tampa another.

Did you ever go in the Gipsies Tent?

Cheers, Boinger.

Was that the one known as the Duckpen?
(10-25-2023, 05:32 PM)Bob Fossil Wrote: Gospel Oak in Tipton will always be Shippies 

The Safe Harbour by where I work in Perry Barr has always been the Gravediggers, due to its proximity to the cemetery and after recent refurbishment has actually become The Diggers

Drove past the other day and my exact thought was, "fug me they've named it The Diggers" Big Grin
One for Llandudno Baggie. Old Station Hotel in Llandudno junction always known as the Killer.