Pubs known by a nickname
(10-25-2023, 08:42 PM)Boinger Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 06:12 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 06:06 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Another ex-local of mine, The Wrenna.
I'm surprised no one from West Brom is on here, most of the pubs there had a nickname. The Jinglers, for one. The Rampa Tampa another.

Did you ever go in the Gipsies Tent?

And there was one or two pubs where the traffic lights are now by the old Vauxhall Garage (by the burnt down Snooker Club)
One was the Shakespeare I think. I still go in the Lamp.

Cheers, Boinger.

On page 617 of the Dudley PDF file there is a 2013 photo of the Shakespeare before it shut. In the background is a red brick former pub, now HMO or similar...

Any ideas what that was called?

https://www.longpull.co.uk/downloads.html
The Lyttleton Arms in Halesowen town centre was known as Billy Picks for years to such an extent they renamed it Picks.

the Lyttleton Arms in Hagley we know as the PT due to it's clientele (Pretentious Tosser).
(10-26-2023, 08:08 AM)Jamin03 why change it? Wrote: The Lyttleton Arms in Halesowen town centre was known as Billy Picks for years to such an extent they renamed it Picks.

the Lyttleton Arms in Hagley we know as the PT due to it's clientele (Pretentious Tosser).

Can we leave the relentless bullying of Protheroe for the politics board please?
Would rather talk to ChatGPT
(10-26-2023, 08:10 AM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote:
(10-26-2023, 08:08 AM)Jamin03 why change it? Wrote: The Lyttleton Arms in Halesowen town centre was known as Billy Picks for years to such an extent they renamed it Picks.

Can we leave the relentless bullying of Protheroe for the politics board please?

Big Grin  Careful he will post a pretentious picture of a sea food massacre sorry platter in response!
(10-25-2023, 10:29 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: The Bell in Lye always called the Top Bell
The Railway in Lye - The Pit.
The Caledonian in Lye - Cally
Tweedy's in Stourbridge - T's then Mr T's
The Bell at the Delph - The bottom Bell
Seven Stars Oldswinford - The Rot Hole.

I'm local to all of these and I've never heard of any of those nicknames.
Billy Pick's
(10-26-2023, 08:48 AM)col lard Wrote: Billy Pick's

I never went in when I lived in Halesowen. I wasn't brave enough.
Big Beech and little Beech in Blackheath
(10-26-2023, 07:56 AM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 08:42 PM)Boinger Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 06:12 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 06:06 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Another ex-local of mine, The Wrenna.
I'm surprised no one from West Brom is on here, most of the pubs there had a nickname. The Jinglers, for one. The Rampa Tampa another.

Did you ever go in the Gipsies Tent?

And there was one or two pubs where the traffic lights are now by the old Vauxhall Garage (by the burnt down Snooker Club)
One was the Shakespeare I think. I still go in the Lamp.

Cheers, Boinger.

On page 617 of the Dudley PDF file there is a 2013 photo of the Shakespeare before it shut. In the background is a red brick former pub, now HMO or similar...

Any ideas what that was called?

https://www.longpull.co.uk/downloads.html

Blimey - The Castle and Falcon on Wolvo Street.  That was another shithole near the Cowshed.  I went in there a few time about 1975;  it says it closed in the 70s, so I was lucky to see it in its aged splendour....
Surely Ma Pardoe's (Old Swan, Netherton) is the most famous one?