Pubs known by a nickname
(10-25-2023, 06:06 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Another ex-local of mine, The Wrenna.
I'm surprised no one from West Brom is on here, most of the pubs there had a nickname. The Jinglers, for one. The Rampa Tampa another.

The Jinglers, is still known as the Jinglers although I think it’s now the Anchor well that’s what I thought someone said when they shouted at me from the other end of the bar.
Blimey this is bringing back a few memories. I use to go in the Jinglers and the Rampa . In the 70's the Jinglers got a bit of a reputation due to the number of men of a 'certain persuasion' frequenting it so we stopped going in. There was also the Cabin on Friar Park ,the Pit (Foresters) on Yew tree. When we lived up in Tantany my Grandads local was i think called the Hargate Arms but locally always called The Blood Tub .
(10-25-2023, 06:12 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
I'm surprised no one from West Brom is on here, most of the pubs there had a nickname. The Jinglers, for one. The Rampa Tampa another.

Did you ever go in the Gipsies Tent?

And there was one or two pubs where the traffic lights are now by the old Vauxhall Garage (by the burnt down Snooker Club)

Yes. Just sold cider from 2 taps, a rough and a smooth. Ran by two brothers that allegedly hadn't spoken for 20 odd years. One wore a waistcoat, bow tie and smart shirt while the other wore a boilersuit. There was a mangy dog permanently sleeping behind the bar (it may have been dead, come to think of it). A large stove and pipe was in the centre of the bar which the landlords never lit. Locals had to fire it up and used to bring bits of pallets with them to burn. My old dad got barred for singing, no merriment was ever allowed and the locals all had yellow teeth and had eyes pointing in different directions. The cider I guess. I loved it although girlfriends were never impressed. 
There were quite a few pubs around that old Vauxhall Garage. The Hammer, The King and Queen, The Shakespeare with the West End round the corner on Wolvo St. They were all terrible when I was first of drinking age. back then, The Grange was the best pub in that part of Dudley.
Ye Olde Foundry in Dudley will always be The Vic

And there was one or two pubs where the traffic lights are now by the old Vauxhall Garage (by the burnt down Snooker Club)

Yep - cider place.  Wonderful eccentric shithole.  We called it The Palace.

Thence the Lamp Tavern.....

(10-25-2023, 06:48 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:

Yes. Just sold cider from 2 taps, a rough and a smooth. Ran by two brothers that allegedly hadn't spoken for 20 odd years. One wore a waistcoat, bow tie and smart shirt while the other wore a boilersuit. There was a mangy dog permanently sleeping behind the bar (it may have been dead, come to think of it). A large stove and pipe was in the centre of the bar which the landlords never lit. Locals had to fire it up and used to bring bits of pallets with them to burn. My old dad got barred for singing, no merriment was ever allowed and the locals all had yellow teeth and had eyes pointing in different directions. The cider I guess. I loved it although girlfriends were never impressed. 
There were quite a few pubs around that old Vauxhall Garage. The Hammer, The King and Queen, The Shakespeare with the West End round the corner on Wolvo St. They were all terrible when I was first of drinking age. back then, The Grange was the best pub in that part of Dudley.
Ah, the West End.  That took me back to 1975...
(10-25-2023, 06:18 PM)Old Stroller Wrote: The King’s Arms at the top of Kings Heath was known to one and all as The Knob when I frequented it in the early 1980s.

They still refer to it as The Knob Kev , even the "titty babbies" call it by that name. 

Is  The Britannia in Sedgley still known as Sally's?.
Other one I can think of is Tinkies in Bloxwich
(10-25-2023, 07:08 PM)TR 675 Wrote:
(10-25-2023, 06:18 PM)Old Stroller Wrote: The King’s Arms at the top of Kings Heath was known to one and all as The Knob when I frequented it in the early 1980s.

They still refer to it as The Knob Kev , even the "titty babbies" call it by that name. 

Is  The Britannia in Sedgley still known as Sally's?.
Other one I can think of is Tinkies in Bloxwich

The Brit's in Gornal mate, and yes, still Sally's..
(10-25-2023, 07:08 PM)TR 675 Wrote:

I really hope there should be a comma after the word ‘Knob’, there. If not I think I left a worse impression on the locals than I realised!
Miners Arms, Tipton AKA The Widders.
The Mount Pleasant in Sedgley, universally known as The Stump.