Old Man Moans #2
(02-10-2024, 08:47 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 08:24 AM)1952 Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 07:23 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 12:34 AM)1952 Wrote: I'd need at least 8 mirrors, crash bars front and back, a rack at the back, spare wheel set high - with chrome wheel trim, a whippy ariel and handle bars tassels to take me back 55 years. (And a blue and white stripped seat - I kid you not)

Vespa or Lambretta? What model was it? 

They’ve been fashion icon symbols for years.
It was a 1964 Lambretta Li150. One of the first with double seat. Obviously it was blue and white. 13 of us kids ride together. One vespa and 12 Lambrettas.

Started to ride again 5 years ago after a about 38 years, but bikes.

My brother has a Li 150 that had double seats when he bought it.  

I’m glad you never said it was an SX or TV175 as they are worth £8k+

Having said that….  I bought a 1966 Vespa 150 super 20 years ago for £600 and hardly rode it.  I sold it on eBay 2 years ago and it fetched £2,600.  Not bad for something that had sat in the garage most of the time.

I’ve only owned vespas, having owned a 
PX150 when I was 18
150 super
T5 classic
PX200 which I’ve owned for 25 years and I had the engine changed to a 210cc. I’ve fitted a larger carb and a great big exhaust and tail pipe amongst other tuned items.  For a scooter it’s quick from a standing start and will leave most cars at the lights. 

What bike do you own?

When abroad I tend to hire large trials bikes, such as a KTM 500 and a Yamaha 600 etc

I've got a Harley Heritage Classic, maybe because it can be accessorised like a scooter. I ve had it since new in 2009, my first bike back riding. 
I quickly realised that after riding in bad weather I had to clean it, that became too often so hit a BMW R1200GS in 2010 which I still have. 
I inherited a 1995 Kawasaki VN1500 for a boss that died, I imported from Germany which was not that easy for a bike that age.
(02-10-2024, 09:31 AM)1952 Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 08:47 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 08:24 AM)1952 Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 07:23 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 12:34 AM)1952 Wrote: I'd need at least 8 mirrors, crash bars front and back, a rack at the back, spare wheel set high - with chrome wheel trim, a whippy ariel and handle bars tassels to take me back 55 years. (And a blue and white stripped seat - I kid you not)

Vespa or Lambretta? What model was it? 

They’ve been fashion icon symbols for years.
It was a 1964 Lambretta Li150. One of the first with double seat. Obviously it was blue and white. 13 of us kids ride together. One vespa and 12 Lambrettas.

Started to ride again 5 years ago after a about 38 years, but bikes.

My brother has a Li 150 that had double seats when he bought it.  

I’m glad you never said it was an SX or TV175 as they are worth £8k+

Having said that….  I bought a 1966 Vespa 150 super 20 years ago for £600 and hardly rode it.  I sold it on eBay 2 years ago and it fetched £2,600.  Not bad for something that had sat in the garage most of the time.

I’ve only owned vespas, having owned a 
PX150 when I was 18
150 super
T5 classic
PX200 which I’ve owned for 25 years and I had the engine changed to a 210cc. I’ve fitted a larger carb and a great big exhaust and tail pipe amongst other tuned items.  For a scooter it’s quick from a standing start and will leave most cars at the lights. 

What bike do you own?

When abroad I tend to hire large trials bikes, such as a KTM 500 and a Yamaha 600 etc

I've got a Harley Heritage Classic, maybe because it can be accessorised like a scooter. I ve had it since new in 2009, my first bike back riding. 
I quickly realised that after riding in bad weather I had to clean it, that became too often so hit a BMW R1200GS in 2010 which I still have. 
I inherited a 1995 Kawasaki VN1500 for a boss that died, I imported from Germany which was not that easy for a bike that age.

Is the BMW R1200GS the bikes they used on Long Way Round?  Great program that!!!  Have you seen Charlie Boardman in “race to Dakar?”  That’s worth watching too.
I told you I’ll be back

Is the BMW R1200GS the bikes they used on Long Way Round?  Great program that!!!  Have you seen Charlie Boardman in “race to Dakar?”  That’s worth watching too

If its the one with Charlie Boardman and Ewan McGregor they were R1150GS, but basically just an evolution. The new R1250GS's are water cooled and cost a fortune.
I ride on the GS to Germany every year to meet a friend and then we ride on, last year was Eifel Park, year before Alps, years before France, Belgium, Netherlands, this year planned the Pyrenees (hopefully). I don't know how many riding years (or just years per se) I have left, so trying to get about as much as possible.
Don't think I've seen Race to Dakar so will look out for it.

I like Vespas, I used to ride my mates, it was always much livelier than Lambrettas with the same cc.
If I had room in the garage I would love to get a scooter. Maybe as the bikes become too heavy (two of them are around 250kg dry weight) I'll get a scooter.
(02-10-2024, 10:38 AM)1952 Wrote:
Is the BMW R1200GS the bikes they used on Long Way Round?  Great program that!!!  Have you seen Charlie Boardman in “race to Dakar?”  That’s worth watching too

If its the one with Charlie Boardman and Ewan McGregor they were R1150GS, but basically just an evolution. The new R1250GS's are water cooled and cost a fortune.
I ride on the GS to Germany every year to meet a friend and then we ride on, last year was Eifel Park, year before Alps, years before France, Belgium, Netherlands, this year planned the Pyrenees (hopefully). I don't know how many riding years (or just years per se) I have left, so trying to get about as much as possible.

Yes, it was the Charlie & Ewan ride.  They also made a sequel, “long way down”, but hat wasn’t as enjoyable as long way round.  They even said so themselves, as they said the schedule was tight and they didn’t get as much chance to sight see as they did on long way round. 

I have both the above and race to Dakar on dvd.  The latter is definitely worth watching. 

I’ve just looked and all the episodes for Race to Dakar are on YouTube 

Here’s episode 1.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4-mpYiWK3y...=1&pp=iAQB

Well that’s your Saturday and Sunday night TV viewing sorted Big Grin
I told you I’ll be back
(02-10-2024, 10:47 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

Yes, it was the Charlie & Ewan ride.  They also made a sequel, “long way down”, but hat wasn’t as enjoyable as long way round.  They even said so themselves, as they said the schedule was tight and they didn’t get as much chance to sight see as they did on long way round. 

I have both the above and race to Dakar on dvd.  The latter is definitely worth watching. 

Here’s episode 1.  

He just needs you to sort him out with a couple of gourmet recipes now, & his weekend will be complete.    Big Grin
(02-10-2024, 11:01 AM)Psalm23 Wrote:

Here’s episode 1.  

He just needs you to sort him out with a couple of gourmet recipes now, & his weekend will be complete.    Big Grin

I’m just grateful you never suggested I go round to cook for 1952.

Fair play 1952 for riding those distances across Europe.  Have you ever been to the annual bike event in Portugal?

My ask gets numb after just 50 miles of riding. Mind you, I do have a thin racing saddle on it :-D 

I’m riding it to the festival again this year near Hertford.  Just hope I don’t come off this time.  I’ve changed my rims to tubeless as the fast front tyre puncture that threw me off was due to a fault line on the inner tube with a hole appearing in the middle of the fault.
I told you I’ll be back
(02-10-2024, 11:09 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

Here’s episode 1.  

Fair play 1952 for riding those distances across Europe.  Have you ever been to the annual bike event in Portugal?

My ask gets numb after just 50 miles of riding. Mind you, I do have a thin racing saddle on it :-D 

I’m riding it to the festival again this year near Hertford.  Just hope I don’t come off this time.  I’ve changed my rims to tubeless as the fast front tyre puncture that threw me off was due to a fault line on the inner tube with a hole appearing in the middle of the fault.

Thanks for the link, take a look later after the match. 

Never got to Portugal but always been on my list. 

I can do 2 to 2 1/2 hours on the BM, less on the Harley.

I had a front wheel puncture 2 years ago on the motorway. Luckily if just hit road works and was only doing 50 in a straight line. There's a tyre pressure warning light that I noticed before the loss of pressure. Also luckily no traffic around me and very luckily right on an exit.

I hoped your injuries weren't too bad.
(02-09-2024, 10:20 PM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote:
(02-09-2024, 09:34 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(02-09-2024, 09:20 AM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote:
(02-09-2024, 08:52 AM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote:
(02-09-2024, 08:51 AM)Psalm23 Wrote: Cunts on motor scooters who pip their horn at you when you're sat at a T junction waiting to turn right.   Rolleyes

Edited

The campest form of transport?

That has to be Boris bikes. No doubt they suit you and Duffers perfectly Big Grin

(02-09-2024, 01:16 PM)Mr Jingles Wrote:
(02-09-2024, 08:51 AM)Psalm23 Wrote: Cunts on motor scooters who pip their horn at you when you're sat at a T junction waiting to turn right.   Rolleyes

I own a motor scooter & have lost count the number of times some cunt waiting to turn right has pulled out on me. I'll carry on "pipping" my horn...you can carry on calling me a cunt !

The horns on Vespas are absolutely shite and sound like a half dead duck being strangled.

So, I bought a 12v dc battery (my scoot is ac) and fitted 2 twin horns (high & low) from broken BMW cars.  So there’s 4 horns in total. It’s fucking loud and grabs everyone’s attention.

How many mirrors you got mate?
Just the one on the handlebar. The bike is a 1966 Lambretta Li150 but I seldom ride it nowadays.
(02-10-2024, 11:50 AM)1952 Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 11:09 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

Here’s episode 1.  

Thanks for the link, take a look later after the match. 

Never got to Portugal but always been on my list. 

I can do 2 to 2 1/2 hours on the BM, less on the Harley.

I had a front wheel puncture 2 years ago on the motorway. Luckily if just hit road works and was only doing 50 in a straight line. There's a tyre pressure warning light that I noticed before the loss of pressure. Also luckily no traffic around me and very luckily right on an exit.

I hoped your injuries weren't too bad.

I came off around the same speed as yourself.   I was riding down a straight country lane and fortunately, the two cars coming towards me were further down the road as I bounced down the road and end up up on the verge on the other side of the road.  

I badly damaged the tendons in my left hand and was unable to pull the clutch on or change gear using my left hand due to my thumb, so I had to call for a recovery vehicle. 

I was fortunate as 10 minutes earlier I was on the A5 near Milton Keynes doing around 75. I was also fully protected with an alpine star jacket, full face helmet, alpine star gloves, over trousers with padded knees and steel toe cap boots.  The driver in the first car that was heading towards me and saw me come off thought I’d be dead.  I’d love to see how I bounced down the road.  All I can remember is thinking “fuck, I’m off” and I then let go of the grips to put my hands out in front of me and my helmet banging the road surface a number of times.
I told you I’ll be back