Reasons to cheerful...
(04-02-2019, 01:56 PM)Hopalong Wrote: If we don't go up this season it's difficult to know when we ever will but it's a more exciting scenario in a perverse way. 

Dawson hegazi gibbs phillips burke jrod rondon and possibly Harper sold. 

Barry Brunt Mozza Mears Hoolihan out of contract.

Gayle holgate johansen murphy montero loans end. 

We then build a team around the 5/6 current graduates blended with the likes of Kanu, Livermore, Bartley and Johnstone and buy a few other hungry younger players to fill the any gaps. Whilst bringing through the next batch - rogers soule ferguson barry. 

Graham Potter would be ideal manager to take this model forwsrd over the next 5 years. 

Of course all of the above is complete fantasy as it won't happen but it would be an  interedting experiment!

I said last Summer that we should have at least had talks with Potter. I can see him eventually doing what Farke has done at Norwich. Another missed opportunity.
(04-02-2019, 04:55 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 01:56 PM)Hopalong Wrote: If we don't go up this season it's difficult to know when we ever will but it's a more exciting scenario in a perverse way. 

We then build a team around the 5/6 current graduates blended with the likes of Kanu, Livermore, Bartley and Johnstone and buy a few other hungry younger players to fill the any gaps. Whilst bringing through the next batch - rogers soule ferguson barry. 

Graham Potter would be ideal manager to take this model forward over the next 5 years. 

Of course all of the above is complete fantasy as it won't happen but it would be an  interesting experiment!

I agree 100% but it must be a long term plan - not a promotion at all cost role like was dumped on Darren.
For the best chance of success the club would have to invest some capital though.
The biggest issue would be hanging onto our starlets when the big boys come calling.
We have a few youngsters out on loan who could come in and do a job for us (Howkins & Wilson) 
If the fan base could see we were working towards a young hungry home grown team I'm sure they would be right behind a work in progress plan. 
Maybe it's just a pipe dream

Johnstone
Wilson
Bartley
Howkins
Townsend
Leko
Field
Livermore
Harper
Edwards
Kanu. 

Bench;  Bond, Tulloch, Rogers, Soule, Ferguson, Fitzwater, Melbourne
(04-02-2019, 06:13 PM)Brunty Wrote:

Graham Potter would be ideal manager to take this model forwsrd over the next 5 years. 

Of course all of the above is complete fantasy as it won't happen but it would be an  interedting experiment!

I said last Summer that we should have at least had talks with Potter. I can see him eventually doing what Farke has done at Norwich. Another missed opportunity.
I think Potter looks promising but I wasn't over excited at the thought of him as our manager. I was even less so after I saw Swansea tip tap toeing around their own penalty area at The Hawthorns recently. Made Graeme Jones look like Pulis.
(04-02-2019, 07:23 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:

I think Potter looks promising but I wasn't over excited at the thought of him as our manager. I was even less so after I saw Swansea tip tap toeing around their own penalty area at The Hawthorns recently. Made Graeme Jones look like Pulis.

Quite. I think people like the idea of Potter's football more than the reality. They huffed and puffed the other week, when we were there for the taking, but Brunty and co blew them away in the end

Also, the idea of a manager getting a 5 year project in the Championship is utter fantasy.
(04-02-2019, 06:56 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 04:55 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote:

Graham Potter would be ideal manager to take this model forward over the next 5 years. 

Of course all of the above is complete fantasy as it won't happen but it would be an  interesting experiment!

I agree 100% but it must be a long term plan - not a promotion at all cost role like was dumped on Darren.
For the best chance of success the club would have to invest some capital though.
The biggest issue would be hanging onto our starlets when the big boys come calling.
We have a few youngsters out on loan who could come in and do a job for us (Howkins & Wilson) 
If the fan base could see we were working towards a young hungry home grown team I'm sure they would be right behind a work in progress plan. 
Maybe it's just a pipe dream

Johnstone
Wilson
Bartley
Howkins
Townsend
Leko
Field
Livermore
Harper
Edwards
Kanu. 

Bench;  Bond, Tulloch, Rogers, Soule, Ferguson, Fitzwater, Melbourne

Might do a job in Div 1 !!!
(04-02-2019, 08:22 PM)Squid Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 07:23 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:

Quite. I think people like the idea of Potter's football more than the reality. They huffed and puffed the other week, when we were there for the taking, but Brunty and co blew them away in the end

Also, the idea of a manager getting a 5 year project in the Championship is utter fantasy.

That's what I said!