Erik Pieters and Jayson Molumby
Two key players for us. Each in a different way underlines the chaos that has surrounded our recruitment for a very long time.

Pieters got here by shouting over the garden fence, "Hey Pieman, any chance I can train with your lot, I'm out of contract". A reasonable and relatively cost-free request. It's testament to Erik's quality and professionalism that he has been so influential. But the fact that at 34, carrying a knee injury and playing out of position, he can keep Ajayi or Bartley out of the side shows what Carlos thinks of our central defence options.

Molumby was a much derided signing and many posters on here still can't get over the fact that he isn't shite. Potato Head said he wouldn't have kept him if it weren't a contractual obligation - fine motivational speaking there from one of the masters of the art. But Jayson has been one of the players of the season. I fully expect offers to come in for him and O'Shea, possibly one or both of the goalkeepers, but no-one else. Can we keep him? How can we replace him if he goes?
(05-09-2023, 09:52 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: Two key players for us. Each in a different way underlines the chaos that has surrounded our recruitment for a very long time.

Pieters got here by shouting over the garden fence, "Hey Pieman, any chance I can train with your lot, I'm out of contract". A reasonable and relatively cost-free request. It's testament to Erik's quality and professionalism that he has been so influential. But the fact that at 34, carrying a knee injury and playing out of position, he can keep Ajayi or Bartley out of the side shows what Carlos thinks of our central defence options.

Molumby was a much derided signing and many posters on here still can't get over the fact that he isn't shite. Potato Head said he wouldn't have kept him if it weren't a contractual obligation - fine motivational speaking there from one of the masters of the art. But Jayson has been one of the players of the season. I fully expect offers to come in for him and O'Shea, possibly one or both of the goalkeepers, but no-one else. Can we keep him? How can we replace him if he goes?

Really? I've seen nothing but universal praise for him this season and rightly deserved. He got my vote for player of the season.

Pieters has been a very solid signing. I wouldn't keep him for next year though. We've been terrible at knowing the right time to let players go over the last few years and he should probably move on having done good work for this year.
(05-09-2023, 09:52 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: Two key players for us. Each in a different way underlines the chaos that has surrounded our recruitment for a very long time.

Who has said that? Name names.

I think most people have been very complementary since he signed permanently.
I was one that lambasted JM ideas completely wrong he has been great for us when others hid .
Tony pulis is a wanker 
(05-09-2023, 10:04 AM)Duffers Wrote:

If anything, I've seen far more people clambering to say how they'd always said he was brilliant here when in truth he was an average player in a poorly performing team during his original loan spell.
Molumby has been great and is getting the credit he deserves.

Pieters initially exceeded expectations but has been poor recently. I appreciate his effort but I hope that he's not first choice next season should we extend his contract
(05-09-2023, 10:04 AM)Duffers Wrote:

Somewhere in yesterday's posts I read "Molumby was off it all game". Not what I saw or indeed what the E&D reported in their ratings. Damned with faint praise, is the expression that comes to mind. It's taken a long time for his worth to be recognized.
I'll happily say that JM has proven me wrong. Thought he was shit last year. Much better this and is getting better.

Must add goals/assists to his game though or his energy and tenacity will not be enough in that box to box #8 position.

Pieters has done fantastically but must be released and replaced with Kipre/Taylor just from a financial/age perspective.
Indeed.

When we signed JM the general opinion was that the fee was low.

On the pitch, he works his bollocks off every match.
I can't see a Premier League club bidding for either Molumby or Yokuslu. One of the promoted clubs maybe but unlikely. Of those coming down it depends who they can get rid of but again I doubt it, and don't think anyone else has much cash.

A Prem club could take a punt on Dara or one of the keepers but for potential and as squad players.