Furlong
Both him and Townsend are "good enough" probably 75% of the time, but the things they struggle with will not improve now, so can only see them getting worse.

Both get caught out of position too often, get caught under balls into the box, rarely beat the first man when crossing and can't hit a barn door with a banjo. Other than that, they are adequate.  Smile
I've never rated Furlong. I think this was probably his best season with us but he still has some of the positional issues that leave us exposed.
(05-09-2023, 10:05 AM)Woodman scoreboard Wrote: We need to replace both fullbacks they are very very bang average even at this level .....we won't do anything if we don't improve this woeful defence ....start from the back .

Remind me how many home clean sheets we had?  Defence (when at home) clearly wasn’t as woeful as you suggest.
(05-09-2023, 10:55 AM)Cuzer Wrote: You can make a point we need to replace both full backs and I agree however funds will be limited as we know so other areas of the pitch need way more attention

Ashworth and Ingram shoud be more than adequate cover and both deserve a chance to step up

Cuzer

Agree Cuz. Like them both. Ashworth sounds like he has benefitted hugely from his season in league 1. He's extremely focused. I'm expecting him to come back and really show CC what he's about this summer. Ingram has all the attributes to be a great RB but it's a shame he has had no loan. It'll be harder for him to force his way in but I notice he was pictured training with the first team last week in the run up to Swansea. 

The big one for me is Caleb Taylor. I saw a lot of him for the stiffs in the season before last and he looks a player. Physically he's built like a basketball player. 6'6 but ridiculously athletic. Not an ounce of fat on him! Brilliant organiser. Never stops talking and absolutely loves the physical battle. Really excited to see where he can go.

He had a brilliant review from the Cheltenham manager. Said he can go right to the top. Think he started 40+ games last season.
He has always put in a shift but technically and defensively is lacking. Would be excellent cover but has never had any proper competition.
I’d imagine he will be first choice again next season as it’s a position that’s never seen as a priority for some reason, unfortunately it will probably be judged that him, Ingram and a couple of CBs who can fill in if needed is enough again.

It’s a big problem for us which needs addressing as a priority for me, we’re often exposed on his side as he wonders forward but has no attacking output. I think we’d see a more productive Wallace with a better player to combine with. It’s accepted that we need goals from other areas and a better fullback would help a lot with that. Giles on loan at Boro leads the league in assists, Manning has 10 and is out of contract, even James McClean has 11 contributions playing wingback for Wigan. Budget will be small but not difficult to improve on what Furlong has to offer
(05-09-2023, 01:45 PM)wbamitch Wrote: I’d imagine he will be first choice again next season as it’s a position that’s never seen as a priority for some reason, unfortunately it will probably be judged that him, Ingram and a couple of CBs who can fill in if needed is enough again.

It’s a big problem for us which needs addressing as a priority for me, we’re often exposed on his side as he wonders forward but has no attacking output. I think we’d see a more productive Wallace with a better player to combine with. It’s accepted that we need goals from other areas and a better fullback would help a lot with that. Giles on loan at Boro leads the league in assists, Manning has 10 and is out of contract, even James McClean has 11 contributions playing wingback for Wigan. Budget will be small but not difficult to improve on what Furlong has to offer

Byram at Norwich is out of contract now.  Decent attacking right back at this level. Is aged 29 though.
(05-09-2023, 09:16 AM)Stillclem4england Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 08:47 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: His passing yesterday was embarrassing for a professional footballer.
To be fair I don't think he did his usual trick of mis-controlling it on the touchline and letting it go out of play.

People are talking about getting leaders in and the right mentality yet don't seem to want to replace the likes of Furlong / Ajayi. So, sorry who do we replace with these leaders then? Molumby? Wallace? O'Shea? Give me a Des Lyttle over Furlong any day.
I like warriors too.
Remember how fond we were of James McLean - a warrior if ever there was!
Me neither...
(05-09-2023, 02:35 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 09:16 AM)Stillclem4england Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 08:47 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: His passing yesterday was embarrassing for a professional footballer.
To be fair I don't think he did his usual trick of mis-controlling it on the touchline and letting it go out of play.

People are talking about getting leaders in and the right mentality yet don't seem to want to replace the likes of Furlong / Ajayi. So, sorry who do we replace with these leaders then? Molumby? Wallace? O'Shea? Give me a Des Lyttle over Furlong any day.
I like warriors too.
Remember how fond we were of James McLean - a warrior if ever there was!
Me neither...

A leader and a warrior are not interchangeable. Besides which, McLean was too often a headless chicken with a woeful scoring record for a then-PL sign. A huge canary in the mine for the decline of our recruitment.
(05-09-2023, 01:52 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 01:45 PM)wbamitch Wrote: I’d imagine he will be first choice again next season as it’s a position that’s never seen as a priority for some reason, unfortunately it will probably be judged that him, Ingram and a couple of CBs who can fill in if needed is enough again.

Byram at Norwich is out of contract now.  Decent attacking right back at this level. Is aged 29 though.

Injury prone, unlikely have any resale value, and will command decent wages.

Shame he’s only 29, but we have to make compromises.