Just in case you missed it
“Wah, wah, wah”? Don’t be a prick. 

Nobody’s saying it’s fairing horribly, we’re saying that Brexit has made it worse than it needed to be. That is simply a fact.
(04-20-2023, 02:49 PM)Protheroe Wrote: "Wah Wah Wah the published statistics don't suit my argument."

Grow up FFS.

It isn't an anti EU post, it's simply calling out the myth that the UK is suffering horribly compared with western Europe. It isn't.  A weighted average for the bloc says so. Ireland's weighting isn't very big and at the other extreme neither is Hungary's.

You're wilfully ignoring the published stats and being extremely selective with what you're accepting, including subsets of what you are talking about, if they don't fit the argument you want to make. Bit rich of you to tell anyone to "grow up".

Ireland is a fair comparison for equivalency with regards to food inflation as it's a neighbouring country with a similar culture, a similar diet and intertwined supply chains (especially with respect to food and agriculture). What is responsible for the 6.1% discrepancy? As input and labour costs are unlikely. Any set of comparison you want to make as like-for-like as possible, even France they eat a lot more local agriculture, in Germany it's a lot more bread heavy and in Italy it's a lot more pasta heavy so they're not ideal for like-for-like comparisons unlike Ireland.

Another example, food inflation in December in Northern Ireland was 13.3%, it was 16.8% in the UK as a whole. Why? What is responsible for that discrepancy? Could Northern Ireland being in the Single Market be a factor?
(04-20-2023, 04:11 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(04-20-2023, 02:49 PM)Protheroe Wrote: "Wah Wah Wah the published statistics don't suit my argument."

Grow up FFS.

It isn't an anti EU post, it's simply calling out the myth that the UK is suffering horribly compared with western Europe. It isn't.  A weighted average for the bloc says so. Ireland's weighting isn't very big and at the other extreme neither is Hungary's.

You're wilfully ignoring the published stats and being extremely selective with what you're accepting, including subsets of what you are talking about, if they don't fit the argument you want to make. Bit rich of you to tell anyone to "grow up".

Ireland is a fair comparison for equivalency with regards to food inflation as it's a neighbouring country with a similar culture, a similar diet and intertwined supply chains (especially with respect to food and agriculture). What is responsible for the 6.1% discrepancy? As input and labour costs are unlikely. Any set of comparison you want to make as like-for-like as possible, even France they eat a lot more local agriculture, in Germany it's a lot more bread heavy and in Italy it's a lot more pasta heavy so they're not ideal for like-for-like comparisons unlike Ireland.

Another example, food inflation in December in Northern Ireland was 13.3%, it was 16.8% in the UK as a whole. Why? What is responsible for that discrepancy? Could Northern Ireland being in the Single Market be a factor?

Either that or NI sources more food from Ireland which has cheaper food. It’s a possibility.
Why would Ireland have cheaper food?
[Image: bobsburgers-fox.gif]
(04-20-2023, 07:50 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Why would Ireland have cheaper food?

”I don’t know” is the honest answer. I’m not sure it’s just down to being in the EU either, given prices in other EU countries. Do they just produce a lot more of their own stuff?
Perhaps it’s because they have won the Eurovision Song Contest more than UK
Ireland is more expensive than the UK apparently which would account for the lower inflation rate so that wouldn’t account for why the NI inflation rate is lower than GB.
(04-20-2023, 04:11 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: You're wilfully ignoring the published stats 

How the fuck am I ignoring the published stats? I'm citing them.
(04-21-2023, 10:12 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(04-20-2023, 04:11 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: You're wilfully ignoring the published stats 

How the fuck am I ignoring the published stats? I'm citing them.

In the same way you're quoting me, ignoring through selectively choosing what you want and omitting what you doing want.

Toedels!