Just in case you missed it
(04-19-2023, 03:55 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 03:41 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 03:39 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Arf Brexiteers are now saying that this isn’t Brexit and even if it is, it’s not the Brexit they wanted and if it was the Brexit they said it should be, it would work! The anti-reality coalition ffs!

Question Dekka. When the UK voted to Remain in the EU in 1970s, do you think that Remain became the Remain they wanted? The EU Referendum in 2016 suggests not.

It’s irrelevant, every time evidence is presented that Brexit has negatively impacted on the country economically, politically, culturally and socially the goalposts are moved by Brexiteers well not so much moved but taken down, put in the back of a big red bus, taken out the big red bus, put into a large pit, buried and an imaginary new hospital is built over the top of them. 

It’s so childish, ‘that’s not my idea of Brexit’ is the get out of jail card now used by every ardent Brexiteer to excuse themselves from the bad decision they made. It’s like football fans that slate a manager because the manager didn’t pick the team they would and if only they did they would have won. There is zero proof this is the case, it allows the person that uses the tactic to just side step the reality of any political decision that goes wrong but they previously supported.

How is it irrelevant you fool?

I'd have been satisfied with the Common Market Ted Heath sold, and the Western European Single Market as originally established. I'd have voted to Remain in that.

Suggesting it's irrelevant once again exposes your misunderstanding of the dynamics behind Brexit. It's an idiotic comment. like most of the usual teenage polemic that follows. You're the world's oldest sixth former.
The reality is that if people had a vote on the reality of what was going to happen they wouldn’t have voted for it. David Davis saying that the German car manufacturers would be demanding that the EU give them access to the UK market; the big red bus saying £350M a week to the NHS; Farage standing in front of a poster of Syrians escaping war; the threat of Turkey joining the EU; etc; etc; etc. It was all just fantasy but sold as reality.

The cold hard fact is that there are many, including a number on here, that predicted we would be in this exact position, and lo and behold we were right. No expert inside knowledge on international trade deals needed, just being aware of the realities of living and working in the EU and the benefits it brings.

And there’s still this bullshit that it’s not the vague notion of the Brexit some wanted, without even being able to say what that is today. It’s damaged us; it’s damaging us; and it will continue damaging us for probably the majority of the rest of my life.

I don’t recall many like yourself Proth that were saying what their preferred version was, maybe you should have said at the time that a hard brexit was a bad idea and that we needed to negotiate to stay in the single market. Maybe you did, it doesn’t stand out in my memory though.

There is a reality now though that given the choice again Brexit wouldn’t get anywhere near a close contest.
(04-19-2023, 05:07 PM)Fido Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 03:55 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 03:41 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(04-19-2023, 03:39 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Arf Brexiteers are now saying that this isn’t Brexit and even if it is, it’s not the Brexit they wanted and if it was the Brexit they said it should be, it would work! The anti-reality coalition ffs!

Question Dekka. When the UK voted to Remain in the EU in 1970s, do you think that Remain became the Remain they wanted? The EU Referendum in 2016 suggests not.

It’s irrelevant, every time evidence is presented that Brexit has negatively impacted on the country economically, politically, culturally and socially the goalposts are moved by Brexiteers well not so much moved but taken down, put in the back of a big red bus, taken out the big red bus, put into a large pit, buried and an imaginary new hospital is built over the top of them. 

It’s so childish, ‘that’s not my idea of Brexit’ is the get out of jail card now used by every ardent Brexiteer to excuse themselves from the bad decision they made. It’s like football fans that slate a manager because the manager didn’t pick the team they would and if only they did they would have won. There is zero proof this is the case, it allows the person that uses the tactic to just side step the reality of any political decision that goes wrong but they previously supported.

It’s not irrelevant at all, FFS sake. The EU has changed beyond all recognition from essentially a free trade area of similar states to a bureaucratic behemoth which is also toothless when it comes to any conflict on its doorstep. Granted, we’ve hardly had the people in charge to steer HMS UK around the rocks but there will have been a load of people from that generation who would have voted Leave based on those changes alone or alongside other criteria.

It’s irrelevant to the situation we are currently in post Brexit. Proth trying to to move the conversation back 40 odd years from the reality of Brexit now to a fantasy Brexit where it can be described as a success for the country not just a few little flag wavers is the point. ‘If only we did this’. ‘I wanted this type of Brexit’ etc. It’s complete guesswork / slight of hand / misdirection with nothing to back it up.
Prothtit has nothing left - he's the other side of the same coin as a guy I used know who said communism done his way was the way, the truth and the life. Brexit done his way, the economy done his way. Back in the day advocating that Northern Rock, Lloyds, HBOS should have been allowed to fail. It's been great reading the learned academics on here rip him and JOKwit to pieces. Fuck the Tories and fuck Breixt.
Another gem:
https://twitter.com/g_gosden/status/1648550867102998530

Proper:
https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/statu...2400378880
UK food inflation in March 2023 was 19%. EU food inflation in February 2023 was 19%.

https://tradingeconomics.com/european-un...-inflation

Are food prices rising by the same amount in the EU due to Brexit?

EDIT: And food prices were generally starting from a higher base in the EU.
Do you think it would be better to break that down by country and use a comparable one to the UK, let’s say Ireland for your independent research.

Or do you want to include countries that will skew the figures like Hungary at 44% to prove your weak and daft point

I suspect your eagerness to jump on any anti EU propaganda that you see in your echo chambers doesn’t hold up to much scrutiny.

Ireland is 13% btw,
In Euro Area, the inflation rate is calculated using the weighted average of the Harmonised Index of Consumer Price (HICP) aggregates. The main components of the HICP are: food, alcohol and tobacco (21 percent of the total weight), energy (11 percent), non-energy industrial goods (27 percent) and services (42 percent). The HICP aggregates are computed as the weighted average of each country’s HICP components. The weight of a country is its share of household final monetary consumption expenditure in the total of the country’s group. The local HICPs are supplied to the Eurostat by the National Statistical Institutes. It's a perfectly acceptable measure of inflation, but I'm sorry it doesn't suit your purposes.

And food has historically been much cheaper in the UK than large western European countries.

It's not me seeing things through the cloudy prism of Brexit here.
(04-20-2023, 02:00 PM)Protheroe Wrote: In Euro Area, the inflation rate is calculated using the weighted average of the Harmonised Index of Consumer Price (HICP) aggregates. The main components of the HICP are: food, alcohol and tobacco (21 percent of the total weight), energy (11 percent), non-energy industrial goods (27 percent) and services (42 percent). The HICP aggregates are computed as the weighted average of each country’s HICP components. The weight of a country is its share of household final monetary consumption expenditure in the total of the country’s group. The local HICPs are supplied to the Eurostat by the National Statistical Institutes. It's a perfectly acceptable measure of inflation, but I'm sorry it doesn't suit your purposes.

And food has historically been much cheaper in the UK than large western European countries.

It's not me seeing things through the cloudy prism of Brexit here.

I wonder why you completely ignored the point about Ireland? Hmmm
Or Hungary
"Wah Wah Wah the published statistics don't suit my argument."

Grow up FFS.

It isn't an anti EU post, it's simply calling out the myth that the UK is suffering horribly compared with western Europe. It isn't. A weighted average for the bloc says so. Ireland's weighting isn't very big and at the other extreme neither is Hungary's.