Blues deducted 9 points
Suspect 9 points is a compromise of looking severe but not likely to relegate them
(03-22-2019, 12:09 PM)Mancbaggies Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 11:06 AM)Peachy Wrote: Now 5 points off the drop. Probably makes our game tougher tbh.

Tend to agree.  4 straight defeats for them going into this - and pretty much resigned to mid table .  Relegation battle might just motivate them
This. I'd have preferred the punishment to happen after our game. They were a bit meh before, now they have to galvanise and get a few results together.
(03-22-2019, 03:49 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 12:26 PM)Lightnin Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 11:43 AM)Peachy Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 11:32 AM)MGalea Wrote: Seals need to get up this year or surely this will happen them next season and that'd make in at least 5 years in Championship.

Ian Danter (big blue nose) just been on talksport saying that there are a few other clubs in big trouble if they don't go up. He meant Villa!  Big Grin

Villa's knowing overspending has gone on for years and dwarfs what Blues did. They should be hit harder than Blues imo but at least 9 points has been set as a benchmark.

Villa were relegated in 2016, don't they need 3 consecutive years of losses after their relegation in order to be hit by the financial regulations. I believe they've submitted losses for 2017 and 2018 but I guess 2019 won't be submitted until February next year?

We all know they've spent big this season but if they don't go up after throwing all their eggs in one basket they will have no choice but to sell Grealish.

No - they have to provide an estimate of this season’s losses (management accounts) to the EFL by end of March under the new rules. These were brought in so that penalties can be enforced this season, rather than clubs escaping punishment by getting promoted
Makes you wonder how Blues will be assessed this March. I would guess they will fail FFP in March, and possibly next March too.

I suspect they will be on a strict EFL budget until they are compliant with FFP. They may no longer have an embargo, but I reckon they won't be able to trade much in the summer.
The good thing about it if it is accepted and applied is that is means other clubs may suffer a similar outcome
Meanwhile the knuckle draggers on Seal talk say they should keep their star players, because their misdemeanor is no where near as bad as Blues, so they should accept a 4-6 point deduction next year - they can afford to carry this as they storm the league next year.

I have news for them. Blues failed by under £10M, and the standard 12 point penalty was reduced due to the amount they breached by. Blues had promised c£9M to balance the books from player income (Butland money??) last summer, but when it didn't happen, they were charged by EFL. Every other club in breach corrected matters quickly.

Villa have a £25M gap (according to Swiss Ramble), which will only have increased as they merrily spunked away this season. Blues received an additional points deduction for an "aggravated breach" i.e. knowingly over-spending. The Seals, of course, won't have committed such an aggravated breach, will they??

I sincerely hope they implode before/during the play-offs again, and they finally have their comeuppance for behaving like complete cocks, and ignoring the rules since their relegation.
(03-22-2019, 09:49 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Meanwhile the knuckle draggers on Seal talk say they should keep their star players, because their misdemeanor is no where near as bad as Blues, so they should accept a 4-6 point deduction next year - they can afford to carry this as they storm the league next year.

I have news for them. Blues failed by under £10M, and the standard 12 point penalty was reduced due to the amount they breached by. Blues had promised c£9M to balance the books from player income (Butland money??) last summer, but when it didn't happen, they were charged by EFL. Every other club in breach corrected matters quickly.

Villa have a £25M gap (according to Swiss Ramble), which will only have increased as they merrily spunked away this season. Blues received an additional points deduction for an "aggravated breach" i.e. knowingly over-spending. The Seals, of course, won't have committed such an aggravated breach, will they??

I sincerely hope they implode before/during the play-offs again, and they finally have their comeuppance for behaving like complete cocks, and ignoring the rules since their relegation.

The net seems to be closing in on Villa, Derby and Wednesday https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba...tions.html
(03-22-2019, 04:02 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 11:43 AM)Peachy Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 11:32 AM)MGalea Wrote: Seals need to get up this year or surely this will happen them next season and that'd make in at least 5 years in Championship.

Ian Danter (big blue nose) just been on talksport saying that there are a few other clubs in big trouble if they don't go up. He meant Villa!  Big Grin

Villa's knowing overspending has gone on for years and dwarfs what Blues did. They should be hit harder than Blues imo but at least 9 points has been set as a benchmark.

Villa were relegated in 2016, don't they need 3 consecutive years of losses after their relegation in order to be hit by the financial regulations. I believe they've submitted losses for 2017 and 2018 but I guess 2019 won't be submitted until February next year?

We all know they've spent big this season but if they don't go up after throwing all their eggs in one basket they will have no choice but to sell Grealish.

No - they have to provide an estimate of this season’s losses (management accounts) to the EFL by end of March under the new rules. These were brought in so that penalties can be enforced this season, rather than clubs escaping punishment by getting promoted

I don't like that word estimate. It makes me think that they will get around it some how by fudging it!

If it's based on management accounts and submitted by end of March it's at least likely to have actuals until the end of Feb with the rest of the season estimated. Seeing the transfer window has closed, they can hardly have massive variances in income through other streams or it will stand out like a sore thumb. I didn't realise they had to do this, they could well be shafted with the gap they need to close if they've don't go back up.
(03-22-2019, 10:42 PM)Lightnin Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 04:02 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 11:43 AM)Peachy Wrote: Ian Danter (big blue nose) just been on talksport saying that there are a few other clubs in big trouble if they don't go up. He meant Villa!  Big Grin

I don't like that word estimate. It makes me think that they will get around it some how by fudging it!

If it's based on management accounts and submitted by end of March it's at least likely to have actuals until the end of Feb with the rest of the season estimated. Seeing the transfer window has closed, they can hardly have massive variances in income through other streams or it will stand out like a sore thumb. I didn't realise they had to do this, they could well be shafted with the gap they need to close if they've don't go back up.

A few of us have been saying it for a long time. You don't have to be a financial genius to work out they were spending far more than the rules permitted. And paying the wages of Bolasse, Abraham, new Grealish contract, paying off Bruce, Spunking £7M on a new keeper etc isn't the actions of a club that is contracting and in its last year of Parachute Payments.

From what I have read, the clubs have until the end of June to correct problems, before any soft embargo starts. Of course the vultures will know this, and start bidding low for prized assets.

I'm fascinated to see how this all pans out, but I fear it will all be swept under the carpet. The one good thing is that the majority of clubs will not agree to major change to FFP. There are more "have nots" in the EFL than "haves". The easy solution is "Prem 2", but you know that the big clubs don't want any more challengers such as Villa, Leeds, Wednesday, Forest, Derby etc coming along. Sky won't pay much more money, and those in the promised land won't want to share their income with the pretenders in Prem 2. Sky, of course, would love those bigger names in the Prem, at the expense of Burnley, Brighton, Watford etc, but you play in the Prem on merit, not by invitation.

We need to climb out this season, and then look down on those less fortunate beneath us.
Imho I think there is a "gentleman's agreement" that the Vile will not suffer any kind of sanction at all, I can see no other way to explain their reckless spending when promotion is not a given.
(03-22-2019, 11:29 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote: Imho I think there is a "gentleman's agreement" that the Vile will not suffer any kind of sanction at all, I can see no other way to explain their reckless spending when promotion is not a given.

I understand your logic, and a few Seals think the same. Every club is bound by the same rules though. If there was such an agreement I'm sure plenty of clubs would be squealing about it now. The financial rewards are just too great to let a single club be governed by different rules.