Acceptance of the Albion situation
How accepting are you of the current way it is supporting Albion?

Me- fairly so, despite the misery.

It doesn't mean I want us to be a crap Championship side or worse in the next few years, but the reality of what control we have as fans is something some need to realise.

I've gone from feeling 70 per cent positive a month ago that we will make the play-offs to believing we are 70% unlikely. 

I shall continue to support us whatever the next few years bring, but I'm realistic enough to know getting too wound up about it will do me no good whatsoever.

I hope some with more power than me can wrestle control off the shadowy regime controlling us, but the readjustment to realising for the first time in 20 years we are no longer virtual certs to get back in the Prem is one I've made well.

I think most fans feel the same, but I really can't understand those posters who seem to wallow in the misery and paint hideous doomsday scenarios with glee. On poster in particular stands out.
(03-06-2023, 11:11 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: How accepting are you of the current way it is supporting Albion?

It doesn't mean I want us to be a crap Championship side or worse in the next few years, but the reality of what control we have as fans is something some need to realise.

I've gone from feeling 70 per cent positive a month ago that we will make the play-offs to believing we are 70% unlikely. 

I shall continue to support us whatever the next few years bring, but I'm realistic enough to know getting too wound up about it will do me no good whatsoever.

I hope some with more power than me can wrestle control off the shadowy regime controlling us, but the readjustment to realising for the first time in 20 years we are no longer virtual certs to get back in the Prem is one I've made well.

I think most fans feel the same, but I really can't understand those posters who seem to wallow in the misery and paint hideous doomsday scenarios with glee. On poster in particular stands out.

Where is the glee? 
Everyone knows we have no control but that doesn’t mean you have to be happy, shrug your shoulders about it or not criticise / bemoan our decline back into mediocrity or worse. 
I don’t want to go back to where we were in the 1990s, it’s hardly a controversial statement to make.
Thousands of fans will drift away as they did previously. 

If someone is content / at peace with playing in the Championship or worse for the next decade with no money and an owner who has no interest then that’s up to the individual. I’m really not that patient / have the interest / belief / hope anymore with us drifting listlessly and I can think of better ways to spend my time than hoping for a Megson type miracle to happen again.
(03-06-2023, 11:27 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 11:11 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: How accepting are you of the current way it is supporting Albion?

Where is the glee? 

Every post of Nick's is dripping with it.
(03-06-2023, 11:29 AM)Duffers Wrote:

Where is the glee? 

Precisely.

It speaks volumes as well that when things are going bad some posters seem to be more active. They must be gleeful as they love the 'I told you so,' of their morose ramblings.

I think constantly being told how crap it is really doesn't make any of us feel any better or in control of it.

We all know we've a dodgy owner and the parachute money is gone.

I will certainly be supporting of any team that's part of a vision in adversity. At least we do have a good academy and have a rich supply of youngsters. It's something to cling to if we are in here for the long haul.
To be honest too old in the tooth to get upset by Albions position.

That's why I don't get annoyed by the ownership situation. 
Mainly because I can't do anything about it. Also given how football ownership is generally, I have no confidence that even ii in the unlikely event of a change in ownership, realistically there is every chance that any new owners would be as bad if not worse than the current owners. 

On the football front, we are suffering from a decade of poor strategic management at the football level, poor player recruitment and player development.

It's not all gloom and doom. The current manager is a good un, and we would be best advised to show him patience, because his job is very difficult and in truth is only likely to get more difficult in the short term.

When you are a football fan of a club of our size and resources you have to expect peaks and troughs.

If you can't live with the troughs, this might be the time to lose interest.
It's annoying for 90mins or so when we lose but afterwards it's soon forgotten about. Whatever division we are in is rendered pointless by our current ownership.
(03-06-2023, 11:43 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:

Where is the glee? 

Precisely.

It speaks volumes as well that when things are going bad some posters seem to be more active. They must be gleeful as they love the 'I told you so,' of their morose ramblings.

I think constantly being told how crap it is really doesn't make any of us feel any better or in control of it.

I will certainly be supporting of any team that's part of a vision in adversity. At least we do have a good academy and have a rich supply of youngsters. It's something to cling to if we are in here for the long haul.

Like who? Name names? Don’t hide behind some posters. 

Btw I have had a season ticket for 35yrs and until Covid missed on average one game per season at home in that time. For those that go every other week or even to every game home and away then fair play if they can accept the trough we are potentially heading towards. However armchair fans who perhaps go to games a handful of times a season I’m not sure I can take any advice on support from.

Where is the glee? 
Everyone knows we have no control but that doesn’t mean you have to be happy, shrug your shoulders about it or not criticise / bemoan our decline back into mediocrity or worse. 
I don’t want to go back to where we were in the 1990s, it’s hardly a controversial statement to make.
Thousands of fans will drift away as they did previously. 

If someone is content / at peace with playing in the Championship or worse for the next decade with no money and an owner who has no interest then that’s up to the individual. I’m really not that patient / have the interest / belief / hope anymore with us drifting listlessly and I can think of better ways to spend my time than hoping for a Megson type miracle to happen again.
Don't think anyone is happy with it, well maybe one, but there's just so little we can do about it. I was there in the 90's, as you were, but we are still here, we didn't go anywhere. In fact, many of my fondest memories come from when we were at our very worst, just because of the age I was.
Point of this ramble is that, as long as there is a club to support, I'll be there. Yes the owner's shit and i praise anyone that tries to do something about that, but the next one could be worse, we'll have no say at the end of the day, so coming on here and having a go at each other is pointless and futile.

To be even in with a shout at this stage is a minor miracle, after what the Bruce's did, so I'll keep doing the maths and won't give up until the numbers say we are done. Even then, I'll be thankful that we got this far with something other than survival to play for.

We ALL want the same thing and that is to see us do well, it's how we deal with the disappointment that sets us apart. There's no right or wrong for me though, because, despite football being so tribal, it is also a very personal, and lonely, passion at times and we all do it our own way. That's why forums are so enjoyable.  Smile
However we're doing I'll still go to the games and support the team. I'm no longer of the mindset of my teens and early 20s where us losing would completely destroy my weekend. I'm more accepting of where we are these days and football is something I enjoy but not the most important thing in my life. If we're back to a prolonged period of misery similar to the 90s then so be it.
(03-06-2023, 11:54 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-06-2023, 11:43 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:

Where is the glee? 

Precisely.

Like who? Name names? Don’t hide behind some posters. 

Btw I have had a season ticket for 35yrs and until Covid missed on average one game per season at home in that time.

He has named names upthread.

But just in case:

Nick. His posts go way beyond trolling. There are Seals and Dingles who are less joyous about our current woes.