The gender wars
Just having a coffee with my mate, years younger than me (36), and a psychotherapy councillor, helping people with all manner of issues.

We've been discussing the Nicola Bulley case and how now there's so much flying about around the police handling, women's menopausal issues, social media's part in the madness etc.

Our conclusion is simply the narrative at the start that this was a happy go lucky affluent mum who suddenly disappeared into thin air set millions of women into a panic and created a media juggernaut that Lancs cops were unprepared for. If at the start the cops had said Nicola is known to be vulnerable and in a bad place mentally it would have changed the whole interest and the madness of wannabe sleuths, woman screaming about safety etc etc (violent men) would have been avoided. The unpalatable lines by mainstream media mentioning dodgy cops like Wayne Cousins also wouldn't have been there.

In all though, what the hell is going on, with this agenda stoking fear into women and let's just talk violence generally?

As a lad who had my youth in the 80s I saw violent times with my working class background and the fear men have, still do, is something not talked about because it is just the way it is.

Men are more likely to be violently attacked and I guess all of us as blokes(mostly on here) have had to be wary.

In my youth I've had a close mate glassed, been chased around Halesowen by 3 pissed up arseholes one Christmas when walking back from my girlfriend's, had a dodgy bouncer grapple with me in a nightclub, been involved in a violent punch-up in a chip shop, and countless other times I've been on my heels ready to fight or flight and looking over my shoulder.

All of us blokes on here have similar tales but the simple fact is man or woman, there will always be a climate of fear in situations out of our control. Walking through bad areas, going into dodgy clubs, driving in the wrong street it can all happen. It's life- there's bad people.

This does not in any way dismiss the stories around women, but the constant focus on division at the moment is at a level I've never known and IMHO unhelpful in society.

Apologies for airing this, but some of the crap I've read this morning on LinkedIn has made me voice this, especially women now sounding off about the menopause not being understood as they have had to change tack as men can't be blamed for this death.