KFC
(02-15-2023, 07:53 AM)MassDebater Wrote:
(02-14-2023, 10:36 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: Fast food such as KFC and McD was never a big thing with us when the kids were young. Far more likely to be in Pizza Express or suchlike. I can eat the stuff, but it's not even on the scale in terms of taste, quality, subtlety or anything like that. Fuel, not food IMO.

Now Nandos, that's a different matter. A chain that somehow has the rep of being a cut above your basic fast food. Really? Plastic topped tables and help yourself to soft drinks? Chicken dishes that all look and taste the same? If you bring your kids up to think that Nandos is a special meal out, then you're cheating them and yourself. Get them to a half decent Chinese or curry house FFS sake!

I liked the Rain Forest Cafe. Kids loved the jungle theme, but it was a proper restaurant experience as well. No-one wants to pay for that, which is why they went bust and KFC still sell bargain buckets of heart disease.

I used to have a Nando's, but these days their chickens are scrawny and the prices have gone up. Can virtually guarantee that a Nando's is healthier than pretty much all Chinese and Indians though, so you kinda shot yourself in the foot there. I'm not even trying to defend Nando's. But fuel not food, Nando's will fuel better than either.

It's not the quality of the food, it's the quality of the experience. As stated above, queuing up and fetching your own cutlery and drinks is garbage at the prices they charge.
(02-14-2023, 08:23 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: PFC is better than KFC, round the corner from The Sandwell.

If you want much better fried chicken go to the Caribbean place on the junction opposite the Days Hotel or whatever it’s latest owner is. Jaqks was decent but it’s closed for the time being.

Another shout for PFC. It's very rare that I have takeaway food but me and my lad stopped off at the PFC on the High Street following an away day about a year ago and shared one of their buckets. 

The chicken was delicious and there was loads of it. Very good value for money and much better all round than the KFC's I remember having years ago. I don't think I've had one in over a decade. That said the one near us seems pretty popular, especially with calorifically challenged school kids.

As a footnote I've only ever had a sit down 'meal' from Nando's on two occasions. The chicken was dry as fuck both times. If you need dips to make food remotely palatable then the food itself must be utterly shit.
Eating is cheating
(02-15-2023, 08:58 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(02-14-2023, 10:36 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: Fast food such as KFC and McD was never a big thing with us when the kids were young. Far more likely to be in Pizza Express or suchlike. I can eat the stuff, but it's not even on the scale in terms of taste, quality, subtlety or anything like that. Fuel, not food IMO.

Now Nandos, that's a different matter. A chain that somehow has the rep of being a cut above your basic fast food. Really? Plastic topped tables and help yourself to soft drinks? Chicken dishes that all look and taste the same? If you bring your kids up to think that Nandos is a special meal out, then you're cheating them and yourself. Get them to a half decent Chinese or curry house FFS sake!

I liked the Rain Forest Cafe. Kids loved the jungle theme, but it was a proper restaurant experience as well. No-one wants to pay for that, which is why they went bust and KFC still sell bargain buckets of heart disease.

I used to have a Nando's, but these days their chickens are scrawny and the prices have gone up. Can virtually guarantee that a Nando's is healthier than pretty much all Chinese and Indians though, so you kinda shot yourself in the foot there. I'm not even trying to defend Nando's. But fuel not food, Nando's will fuel better than either.

It's not the quality of the food, it's the quality of the experience. As stated above, queuing up and fetching your own cutlery and drinks is garbage at the prices they charge.

Don't disagree with you on that point. I've always seen Nando's as the place a teen lad takes a teen girl to try and impress her enough to cop a feel later. It's a pre-adult place. Can't say I've ever seen / known any adults take their kids there for a treat.
(02-15-2023, 11:42 AM)MassDebater Wrote:
(02-15-2023, 08:58 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:

Don't disagree with you on that point. I've always seen Nando's as the place a teen lad takes a teen girl to try and impress her enough to cop a feel later. It's a pre-adult place. Can't say I've ever seen / known any adults take their kids there for a treat.

I do for reasons I've said. Easy around both our allergies (I've had far too many moans by people in small restaurants about having to deal with them) and he likes it, usually his choice.

It's a treat same way some parents think McDonalds is a treat and so on, something out of usual.