Words that em indelibly linked t'the Black Country accent
Shap is a great shout.

R. I'd agree with you on that sound eminating from the Bonk and nearby
Someone could have been killed
(01-10-2023, 03:55 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Shap is a great shout.

I do love that, to the discerning ear, we can tell where someone is from within a mile or two.  Ask a Londoner (cockney) and they can't tell the difference between a BC and a Brummagem.
Would rather talk to ChatGPT
Skewl is whey-a ar went ter lern ter spake proper. Non on this yoonivearsity palava. Aer skewl waz onny owver the rowad an-all.

(01-10-2023, 03:58 PM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote:

I do love that, to the discerning ear, we can tell where someone is from within a mile or two.  Ask a Londoner (cockney) and they can't tell the difference between a BC and a Brummagem.

Ar. Darn Krerdlee yow werk farv days a wik. In Wensbree its fuyiv.

I reckon I can get the BC down to half a mile in places.

The accent around some parts of brum - especially Kings Heath, Stirchley etc, has some particularly funny nuances. There's also an area that seems to afflict Villa fans mainly where the way the letter R is pronounced is quite something. I cant even mimic it, it's a total reshaping of how the letter should work.
(01-10-2023, 04:02 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote:

The accent around some parts of brum - especially Kings Heath, Stirchley etc, has some particularly funny nuances. There's also an area that seems to afflict Villa fans mainly where the way the letter R is pronounced is quite something. I cant even mimic it, it's a total reshaping of how the letter should work.

Chembo is the most identifiable Brummie accent. Stirchley's full of MCWs, these days.
Would rather talk to ChatGPT
Werta
Boons
Code
Oss
Wench
In fairness to Hudds, if you listen to the way the blokes at the BCM say There, he's spot on

(01-10-2023, 04:04 PM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote:
(01-10-2023, 04:02 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote:

Chembo is the most identifiable Brummie accent.  Stirchley's full of MCWs, these days.
Small Heath by a chalk

I was always able to tell which BC area someone are from by their words back in the day. It's all a bit mokney now so I reckon I'd struggle but I could always tell which pub would be their local (that took a lot of research)
Typical phrase:

"R cor fun it"

=

"I cannot find it"

Regarding "stoon" = "stone", I think many a good proper BC chap or wench would say "stowan"
Once upon a time I did the reading at my mate's wedding and put on my poshest voice for the occasion, afterwards I was complimented by an out of towner on how I had managed to round (or rowund) all of the vowels so completely - cheeky bastard  Big Grin