Words that em indelibly linked t'the Black Country accent
Bunfire Night - 5th of November
Ties - What children get at Christmas
Suck - sweets
Kayli - what you dip your liquorice in

In all my years I’ve only just realised, with Hudd’s above post, that saft may be derived from soft. Live and learn, eh?
Craigerly Heaf.
(01-10-2023, 09:20 PM)Old Stroller Wrote: Bunfire Night - 5th of November
Suck - sweets

In all my years I’ve only just realised, with Hudd’s above post, that saft may be derived from soft. Live and learn, eh?

Yep, saft is a word that is "moower" than simply soft but that's weer it comes from.

As an extreme expression, when my dad thought something was really silly or stupid, he'd say said thing/person was "safter'n bally aerk shit"  (softer than diarrhoea), which exemplifies softness and is fuggin poetry.  The ghost of Shakespeare wishes he'd used that for Falstaff to taunt Prince Hal.

Me folks used to say that to be drunk was kaylied. Mostly me mom would say to me - yer faerther was kaylied last night!

Oil - ile (My dad on Ron Atkinson "'E gets weer ile cor get")

(01-10-2023, 09:24 PM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote: Craigerly Heaf.

Ommer 'em, Craerdlay!
Suck - sweets

Interesting. I've always related 'saft' to 'daft' both in terms of its sound and its meaning.
But then an oft-heard phrase like "He's saft in the yed" should really make it's origins clear.
(01-10-2023, 10:01 PM)DemonicBaggie Wrote:
Suck - sweets

Interesting. I've always related 'saft' to 'daft' both in terms of its sound and its meaning.
But then an oft-heard phrase like "He's saft in the yed" should really make it's origins clear.

Saft and Cunt usually go together.

Saft cunt is almost a term if endearment. 

Fode is another.
Yampy. 
Clondyke.
Suck - sweets

Or "saft as bally-erk shit"
Suck - sweets

Neither is yampy derived from 2 forms of vegetation me old fruit
Someone could have been killed