Poll: Next Saturday - When is it?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
31st December
51.72%
15 51.72%
7th January
48.28%
14 48.28%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Next Saturday
This drives me crackers how "next <insert day of the week> " can mean a totally different date to different people. I always double check when people use this expression as to when they mean.

So what does "Next Saturday" mean to you?

I would be interested to know if this is a local mis-use or national.  For those who live outside the Midlands I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
(12-28-2022, 03:26 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: This drives me crackers how "next <insert day of the week> " can mean a totally different date to different people. I always double check when people use this expression as to when they mean.

So what does "Next Saturday" mean to you?

I would be interested to know if this is a local mis-use or national.  For those who live outside the Midlands I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

It's a good question and the answer from me is 'both oddly enough.

If someone said 'this Saturday' then it would mean this coming Saturday but 'next Saturday' would also mean the next Saturday to arrive so same day - 31st December.

Satdee wik however would mean a week on Saturday so 7th of January.
Depends how close to Saturday you are. If you're chatting on a Thursday, you should say "Not this Saturday but next." If it's on a Monday/Tuesday, next Saturday could be the one coming or the one after and then the listener should ask for clarification.
I could use either 'this Saturday' or 'next Saturday' to describe the 31st. If I was talking about 7th Jan at the moment I'd say 'a week on Saturday'.
Totally depends on how early in the week it's used. Around Tuesday being the cut off point. would be the next Saturday, 31st... Wednesday onwards it's the one after.

I'd probably add the date when using it, e.g. see you next Saturday ( 31st)...or see you next Saturday ( 7th)

You don't have a both option though.

Then again I'd mostly just say see you Saturday for this one, and next for the one after... But it depends never bothered me in the slightest
This Saturday is 31st, next Saturday is either but the closer your get to Saturday the more it means the 7th.

Not “this” one the “next” one.
滚开赖
31st Dec is This Saturday.

7th Jan is Next Saturday.

Ends.
(12-28-2022, 03:53 PM)AnelkasBeard Wrote: 31st Dec is This Saturday.

Ends.

That doesn't make sense.

Next Saturday is The Next Saturday which is this Saturday coming.
(12-28-2022, 03:54 PM)Calgary_Baggie Wrote:
(12-28-2022, 03:53 PM)AnelkasBeard Wrote: 31st Dec is This Saturday.

Ends.

That doesn't make sense.

Next Saturday is The Next Saturday which is this Saturday coming.

Don't start bringing sense into the English language. You'll open a whole can of worms.
31st is just Saturday.

7th is next.