Just watched the film. Every time I watch, read or hear about WWI it makes me angry and sad. What an absolute waste of life and all due to a pointless war for greedy, self serving, squabbling aristocratic families.
It’s a great film, brilliantly shot and acted and like you say, hammers home the sheer pointlessness of that war.
Saw it at the cinema and watched again tonight with Mrs CIM and our eldest. Very good film.
Great film and tragically pointless war, my grandad died from wounds and complications in 1916 when my dad was less than a year old, he was a reluctant recruit and received field punishment No1 ( look it up) for going awol during training when he went to visit his wife when my dad was born
Now you should watch All quiet on the Western Front, the black and
white original. One of the greatest war films of all time
I suppose the question is, are any wars actually to benefit the majority or only for those who have power to get more?
(12-28-2022, 03:44 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote: Now you should watch All quiet on the Western Front, the black and
white original. One of the greatest war films of all time

The recent German made and dubbed version on Netflix is a good watch. Again, makes the whole idea of war seem utterly pointless.
In the form of his life.
Isn't every war pointless and a waste of life?
(12-28-2022, 10:09 AM)SuperBob2002 Wrote: Isn't every war pointless and a waste of life?

WW2 was tragic but almost certainly necessary.
(12-28-2022, 10:09 AM)SuperBob2002 Wrote: Isn't every war pointless and a waste of life?

WWII caused directly by WWI senselessness was necessary