Putting Messi into perspective
(12-19-2022, 07:45 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: messi is a great player, no doubt. But to be totally fair (and to make me totally unpopular!), that villa keeper probably contributed every bit as much over the tournement.

Messi was Argentina’s best player. Their talisman throughout. Martinez wasn’t all that tbf
(12-18-2022, 10:50 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(12-18-2022, 10:41 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(12-18-2022, 10:04 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: There’s a lot of miserly souls on here who have got one on themselves about Messi finally winning the World Cup. Really?
He’s the best footballer of the generation. An unbelievable talent and seemingly decent guy. 
Of course in life once you’ve got a reputation for good stuff many jump on the plaudit bandwagon, but you can’t let that detract anything if you love football. The bloke is a joy to watch and he has done this at 35. 
The irritating aspects of such an accolade though is it’ll be done as the pointless argument about whether he is better than Pele or Maradona. We’ll never know as, Jermaine Genas, rightly said it’s a different game now. 
Around 30 years after Maradona’s peak it’s like comparing the car you drive with the one you had in 1992. Advancements are made. 
In football there were savages in days of old like the bloke from Bilbao who smashed Maradona’s leg to bits. They’d get away with stuff they’d be in court for now. 
Sports science, pastoral care from clubs, better pitches have all made it a better game, as well as the clampdown on time wasting.
Anyhow well done Messi if anyone is deserving of the top prize it’s him. He’s also had his career in the video age so we’ve been able to see so much of his wizardry.
What a great outcome to a great game and amazing career.

If you compare Messi and Maradona's careers there's no comparison in terms of what they actually achieved with Messi putting the cherry on the cake today.

Here we go. You should be old enough to know better. 
Let’s imagine Messi 40 years ago or maybe Maradona now. 
Let’s see how Maradona would have got on in a billion pound club side with Iniesta and Xavi around you. Let’s imagine pitches like bowling greens, guys who can’t smash your legs. Imagine going to a club where they don’t leave you to your own devices and the mafia then take control. Imagine instead being carefully nurtured from when you’re about 11?
Comparing Messi and Maradona with the rules of then and the culture of then is futile. It’s a really simplistic and imbecilic standpoint. 
Both, in the circumstances of their generations, stand out. That’s all that matters.

Cheers.  If you actually read what I said - I never said who was the better player simply what they achieved.
Don’t want to compare Messi and Maradona so start numerous threads about comparing them, and argue with anyone who suggests an opinion that challenges my view that Maradona is better.
(12-20-2022, 04:18 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Don’t want to compare Messi and Maradona so start numerous threads about comparing them, and argue with anyone who suggests an opinion that challenges my view that Maradona is better.

I'm going to start one on trans issues in a minute, bemoaning how much attention this minority gets.
Would rather talk to ChatGPT