Cruel
(12-15-2022, 12:25 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(12-15-2022, 12:07 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: One of my neighbours, who claims to be an animal lover with several dogs and a cat, always puts the cat out at night.

We have started taking it in at night, giving it a warm bed. How anyone could put an animal out in this is beyond me. It's fine in the summer, but it was -9 by us last night.

My cat goes to the patio door and I open it.  He stands there, sniffing the air and then turns around and walks back in to the house.  

Or, yesterday, he ventured up the garden, had a crap on the soil and ran back to the house as quickly as he could.

One of our cats does that. He has a goldfish brain. 5 mins later he is back at the door again, same routine.
We've a fluffy little dog and she has no interest in leaving the house at the minute.
Our cat has a catflap. Goes out and in at will. Why owners don't put one in defeats me. That said during this cold snap she's barely set paw outside. She is a house cat mind so only goes about twenty yards max before the local Toms terrorise her and she scoots back to the comfort of the fireside.
(12-15-2022, 02:30 PM)Brentbaggie Wrote: Our cat has a catflap.  Goes out and in at will. Why owners don't put one in defeats me.  That said during this cold snap she's barely set paw outside.  She is a house cat mind so only goes about twenty yards max before the local Toms terrorise her and she scoots back to the comfort of the fireside.

it's much more fun to leave the back door open in an arctic gale, when the heating is on full blast, according to my missus  Angry
My collie wouldn't come inside this morning when it was -7. She likes the cold, a bit like me. She's much happier now then when it was 40 and I'd imagine walking on hot concrete or tarmac would be more painful for her and other dogs.
My border terrier is in his element at the moment. There are leaves and snow aplenty to rummage around in and loves the dark on the early morning walk as his nose goes into overdrive. 

This morning I stopped at the local Co-op to pick up some milk and left him outside. If anyone had seen him trembling as I came out they'd have thought what a cruel, thoughtless bastard I was for leaving him out in the cold for two minutes. What they wouldn't have known is that he gets a treat for being a good lad and not barking outside and that's what he's doing, just getting excited. He might have been a little bit cold but, blimey, he's a dog with a thick-ish coat at this time of year. Now I get that someone with a whippet or chihuahua which has next to no fur might need a bit of extra cover but, FFS sake, it how they were made, they don't need a fuggin coat.
(12-15-2022, 03:06 PM)Fido Wrote: My border terrier is in his element at the moment. There are leaves and snow aplenty to rummage around in and loves the dark on the early morning walk as his nose goes into overdrive. 

This morning I stopped at the local Co-op to pick up some milk and left him outside. If anyone had seen him trembling as I came out they'd have thought what a cruel, thoughtless bastard I was for leaving him out in the cold for two minutes. What they wouldn't have known is that he gets a treat for being a good lad and not barking outside and that's what he's doing, just getting excited. He might have been a little bit cold but, blimey, he's a dog with a thick-ish coat at this time of year. Now I get that someone with a whippet or chihuahua which has next to no fur might need a bit of extra cover but, FFS sake, it how they were made, they don't need a fuggin coat.

My whippet hardly goes out in any weather. When it was 40 degrees she was under the covers.
Who is it who said he hates dogs the other day?
(12-15-2022, 03:55 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Who is it who said he hates dogs the other day?

Whoever they are, they'm weird and aren't to be trusted!
(12-15-2022, 02:30 PM)Brentbaggie Wrote: Our cat has a catflap.  Goes out and in at will. Why owners don't put one in defeats me.  That said during this cold snap she's barely set paw outside.  She is a house cat mind so only goes about twenty yards max before the local Toms terrorise her and she scoots back to the comfort of the fireside.

Have they invented cat flaps for double glazed French Doors yet?

I once made the mistake of making it so that the local ferals could get into my shed in the cold weather. Phoned up Cats protection to see if they'd come get them, basically got told I'd created a cat's knocking shop and to seal it up ASAP.

(12-15-2022, 03:56 PM)SuperBob2002 Wrote:
(12-15-2022, 03:55 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Who is it who said he hates dogs the other day?

Whoever they are, they'm weird and aren't to be trusted!

Don't recall, I said I'm not a fan of cats on that fred though.