Argentina
(11-22-2022, 06:49 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: It's a nonsense argument simply to assume today's players are better, or that the likes of Best, Mathews, Pele, Duncan Edwards or even Maradonna wouldn't have been able to cope with discipline, diets and fitness. You can only beat what is there at the time. All else is speculation but those I've mentioned were top, top players who surely would have been even better with modern methods.

That argument works two ways though. Why wouldn’t Messi or Ronaldo thrive 40 years ago?
(11-22-2022, 05:35 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(11-22-2022, 05:33 PM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote:
(11-22-2022, 04:37 PM)BaggieBaggieBromBrom Wrote: Maradona the greatest ever

Recently read a book about Argentine footbalL, `Angels With Dirty Faces`, great book, as much about the history of Argentina as about the football.
Interesting that , England fans will never forgive Maradona for his `Hand Of God`goal, but, several of Englands players, donkeys like Butcher, Peter Reid, Terry Fenwick etc all say that in the build up to his second goal, they all tried to deliberately foul him, but,just bounced off him, or were too late as he had already got past them.

Not forgetting stupid, Tory fuckwit Peter Shilton getting out jumped by the smallest bloke on the pitch.
Some statements are utter rubbish, I’m glad you like cheat and drug addict.
Duffers Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:It's a nonsense argument simply to assume today's players are better, or that the likes of Best, Mathews, Pele, Duncan Edwards or even Maradonna wouldn't have been able to cope with discipline, diets and fitness. You can only beat what is there at the time. All else is speculation but those I've mentioned were top, top players who surely would have been even better with modern methods.

That argument works two ways though. Why wouldn’t Messi or Ronaldo thrive 40 years ago?

They almost certainly would. I perhaps didn't make the point well!  (Although I wouldn't back either of those two in a drinking competition with Best or Greaves....)
(11-22-2022, 06:56 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
Duffers Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:It's a nonsense argument simply to assume today's players are better, or that the likes of Best, Mathews, Pele, Duncan Edwards or even Maradonna wouldn't have been able to cope with discipline, diets and fitness. You can only beat what is there at the time. All else is speculation but those I've mentioned were top, top players who surely would have been even better with modern methods.

They almost certainly would. I perhaps didn't make the point well!  (Although I wouldn't back either of those two in a drinking competition with Best or Greaves....)

The truly great players would be great players in any era.

What gets me is the way some people venerate the past and state anything modern is automatically inferior. You see it in all walks of life - sport, music, tv/films, lifestyles, politics….
Am I the only person who thought the Saudi keeper reminded me of Button ?
(11-22-2022, 07:25 PM)Supamart Wrote: Am I the only person who thought the Saudi keeper reminded me of Button ?

No - when Sakos second went in that is exactly what I said
(11-22-2022, 07:25 PM)Supamart Wrote: Am I the only person who thought the Saudi keeper reminded me of Button ?

Yes
(11-22-2022, 07:07 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(11-22-2022, 06:56 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
Duffers Wrote:

The truly great players would be great players in any era.

What gets me is the way some people venerate the past and state anything modern is automatically inferior. You see it in all walks of life - sport, music, tv/films, lifestyles, politics….

Get used to it. It’s why you have channels like Absolute 90s and TCM where you can watch John Wayne, Gary Cooper and Jimmy Stewart take out the bad guys. 

There’s a Facebook group of old photos of Brum. My mate who lives in America were messaging the other night saying the old nostalgics forget what a shit hole Brum was then. However we had carefree youth, great music and a handful of brilliant places to go to. 

Brum now has more money, more bars and restaurants and I still have great times. Good and bad in all eras. 

For instance I loved the 82 World Cup the most. Was it the best? It probably wasn’t but I wouldn’t put up an argument about it as it’s based on nostalgia of being a kid in my mid teens. 

Back onto the original post though, clearly Messi is past his prime. We’ve all watched his genius over the past 15 years or more and he is certainly the best of the past 30 or so years. Ronaldo is a step below and has made a cock of himself. 

Messi’s legend will shine much brighter in the years ahead.
Dirty argies beaten by dirty Arabs perhaps this world cup isn't so bad after all Smile