Hasenhuttl sacked
Fat Sam will be all over it - once he sobers up after his 2 lunchtime pints of Lambrusco
(11-07-2022, 03:24 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 03:01 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:40 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Luton have given Saints permission to speak to Nathan Jones. Strange one. He struggled badly in his last attempt at a bigger club (Stoke)

I like Jones but have a bad feeling that this won't work for Saints. They have bought in a squad full of youngsters and really have their work cut out this season. I'm not sure adding in Jones to the equation will help them. If they want to bring through youngsters on a long term plan then fine but I seriously think they are jeopardising their PL status. 

I'd be going for Dyche all day long. He would keep them up imo.

I wonder out loud how Dyche would cope with a squad that young.

The problem for Dyche is that a club like Southampton rely heavily on being able to sell some of their players on for healthy profits.

It helps by providing an alternative revenue streams, so that they can be competitive on wages. And their willingness to allow players to move on if the opportunity arises, means they are a good fit for young ambitious players.

Dyche doesn't have a great record of buying in players and moving them on for a profit.

+1

Southampton also understand the importance of playing attractive football when it comes to selling.
(11-07-2022, 04:58 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 02:40 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Luton have given Saints permission to speak to Nathan Jones. Strange one. He struggled badly in his last attempt at a bigger club (Stoke)

I like Jones but have a bad feeling that this won't work for Saints. They have bought in a squad full of youngsters and really have their work cut out this season. I'm not sure adding in Jones to the equation will help them. If they want to bring through youngsters on a long term plan then fine but I seriously think they are jeopardising their PL status. 

The problem for Dyche is that a club like Southampton rely heavily on being able to sell some of their players on for healthy profits.

It helps by providing an alternative revenue streams, so that they can be competitive on wages. And their willingness to allow players to move on if the opportunity arises, means they are a good fit for young ambitious players.

Dyche doesn't have a great record of buying in players and moving them on for a profit.

+1

Southampton also understand the importance of playing attractive football when it comes to selling.

Well they will be playing it in the championship unless they are very careful. I personally think they have gone too far with their recruitment of young talent from the top prem clubs. I think they've spent £70m+ on 8 youngsters this summer. Pretty sure they have the ex Brentford moneyball guy in there pulling the strings.

Its a risky strategy. I get it from a finance point of view. Bring them in young, polish them up, and flog them at a premium but you always have to keep an eye on how the team is performing and the make up of the side. You need the right blend of youth and experience in the premier league and Saints look imbalanced to me.
(11-07-2022, 10:56 AM)rsbaggy2 Wrote: Nathan Jones being touted as favourite.

About time too ... he's been gone too long

Big Grin I got it

+1

They won't see much passing football under hoofball Nathan Jones
(11-07-2022, 08:52 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:

+1

Such a needlessly risky appointment!
(11-07-2022, 08:53 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 08:52 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(11-07-2022, 03:01 PM)Peachy Wrote: I like Jones but have a bad feeling that this won't work for Saints. They have bought in a squad full of youngsters and really have their work cut out this season. I'm not sure adding in Jones to the equation will help them. If they want to bring through youngsters on a long term plan then fine but I seriously think they are jeopardising their PL status. 

+1

Such a needlessly risky appointment!

Indeed. A dreadful appointment.
Jones was out of his depth at Stoke.
(11-08-2022, 12:22 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Jones was out of his depth at Stoke.

Tbf that club was a basket case at the time. Akin to Val's time here, not a fair reflection on his ability. I do agree it's a risky appointment though. Dyche would be a far safer pair of hands imo.
I've met Jones. He's a very smart and astute man. A prolific preparer on other teams and very knowledgeable about the players that are around. Doesn't mean it will work out at Soton but he is much happier with younger players prepared to listen rather than older ones who won't. Good luck to him.