Internet broadband techie help again please
Mrs H has just discovered that it's possible to have internet connection without phone lines or broadband.  There are routers which plug in and use a sim card, like a phone.  One can either use the pay as you go or the monthly tariff and it seems the cost is lower than the cost of a phone line and is generally more reliable, in terms of signal strength and drop-outs. 

So, dear ponners, could you advise please: (a) is this the type of thing that would work in a garden office - just plug it in, put in the sim and go? ( b) has anyone got rid of their landline and broadband, replacing it with this type of router?

Ta in advance.  I bet CC knows - I asked Bruce but his mouth was full of chips and half a chicken (raw).
(11-06-2022, 01:45 PM)hudds Wrote: Mrs H has just discovered that it's possible to have internet connection without phone lines or broadband.  There are routers which plug in and use a sim card, like a phone.  One can either use the pay as you go or the monthly tariff and it seems the cost is lower than the cost of a phone line and is generally more reliable, in terms of signal strength and drop-outs. 

So, dear ponners, could you advise please: (a) is this the type of thing that would work in a garden office - just plug it in, put in the sim and go? ( b) has anyone got rid of their landline and broadband, replacing it with this type of router?

Ta in advance.  I bet CC knows - I asked Bruce but his mouth was full of chips and half a chicken (raw).

Use a phone. Plug a 4g sim card into it and set the phone as a mobile hotspot and then connect to it as you would do regular WiFi.
It's just 4G/5G exactly as you would get on your phone. If you get decent signal in your house then it's a reasonable option. I changed all our chalet Internet over to 4g boxes from ADSL when I worked in the alps because it was quicker
U'dds, if you still live where I think you do it may not be a great solution for you. I doubt you'll get any 5G signal, and if your 4G reception isn't great then don't expect it to be better than your broadband.
In the form of his life.
(11-06-2022, 02:30 PM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: U'dds, if you still live where I think you do it may not be a great solution for you. I doubt you'll get any 5G signal, and if your 4G reception isn't great then don't expect it to be better than your broadband.

Yeah, really need to check coverage on that which is very random outside of built up areas.
Cheers lads
(11-06-2022, 02:30 PM)Midget In A Pinstripe Suit Wrote: U'dds, if you still live where I think you do it may not be a great solution for you. I doubt you'll get any 5G signal, and if your 4G reception isn't great then don't expect it to be better than your broadband.

Midge knows where you live. Sounds ominous  Big Grin
(11-06-2022, 02:58 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

Midge knows where you live. Sounds ominous  Big Grin

The door is always open.  Just don't fall down the well as you approach.
Just be wary of the amount of bandwidth you are allowed t to consume.
30 GB may sound a lot but if you stream HD video or even standard quality, you can chew through that quite quickly. Just run a quick report and it looks like I've used around 250gb in the last month or so.