Joe Mayo
(11-04-2022, 04:53 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(11-04-2022, 08:56 AM)Johnny akes Wrote: Mayo was ok but suffered by comparison with the other good CFs who came before him.

But yeah, he’d get into this team no problem because of his height and presence in the box.

Is exactly right. Came in pretty much as The King was finished. IIRC,  he made a living at the game pretty much entirely at the level we are at now.

And daytime quiz shows with Bob Monkhouse.
He would walk into this team. 

I never saw Joe give less than 100% as a player.  Not particularly gifted but always did his best and his presence created opportunities for others.  As previously mentioned, he suffered by being compared to some of the greats that had preceded him.

If the current half-hearted, entitled, over-paid, gang of mediocracy, had an ounce of self-respect, and half of Joe's application and attitude,  we'd be in the top half of the table.
(11-04-2022, 10:35 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Ah big Joe Mayo,a local lad, and the scorer of the first ever Albion goal I saw Dec 75 v Orient, a cracking shot at the Brummie End. He was a vital part of that 1975/76 side and a real handful- a big forward for that era and scored a lot with his head. I find it impossible now comparing now to then as it's so different a sport.

All I can say is he was decent and glad when I see him part of the fabric on match days now.

Remember that goal ,took my 1st girlfriend  to that game and stood right behind the goal about 20 steps up so had a great view  of it .
I don’t really think so. He was ok back in the day, but the game has moved on (apart from the Albeyun) and he just wouldn’t be quick/mobile enough.
(11-04-2022, 08:59 AM)Bob Fossil Wrote: Simon Mayo would get in this team

And Hellmans Mayo
The chant went:

Mayo, Joe Mayo, Joe Mayo, Mayoooo!
‘Ello, ‘Ello, Joey Mayo, Joey Mayo
As the centre forward in a team that won promotion to the top league, he’d walk into this team and make our current players look like the lazy wankers that they are
(11-04-2022, 07:02 PM)Supamart Wrote: I don’t really think so. He was ok back in the day, but the game has moved on (apart from the Albeyun) and he just wouldn’t be quick/mobile enough.

This.
Shabby Russian Wrote:
Supamart Wrote:I don’t really think so. He was ok back in the day, but the game has moved on (apart from the Albeyun) and he just wouldn’t be quick/mobile enough.

This.
I never buy that. He would have had modern training methods his entire life and adapted accordingly.
(11-04-2022, 07:53 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
Shabby Russian Wrote:
Supamart Wrote:I don’t really think so. He was ok back in the day, but the game has moved on (apart from the Albeyun) and he just wouldn’t be quick/mobile enough.

This.
I never buy that. He would have had modern training methods his entire life and adapted accordingly.

That's it in a nutshell.

You can only be the best in your era with the tools you have.

Now we have better coaching, sports science, pitches that are like bowling greens.

Remember up until 20 odd years ago by the time we got to now the penalty areas were full of sand.

Also people are bigger and stronger as a result of improved nutrition.

I recall getting the soccer stars album in 1976 and think only Joe Corrigan and Micky Droy of Chelsea were 6 4. Now every club has 3 or 4 of them that size.

In most ways it's a better watch than it was, but at the very highest level the lack of competition detracts the advancements. 

I recall Man City v Watford in the cup final a couple of years ago was like teams 3 divisions apart, which of course the top 6 or so are.