Tax Code Accountancy Biffs...
Quick question for you guys... Is there a place where I can see historic tax records? 

I've received a letter from HMRC saying I underpaid tax by £2,700 for last year, and I am already backpaying almost £2,000 from the last couple of years. Every calculation I've done based on my taxable benefits says my tax is correct month to month so I'm really unsure where these big underpayments are accruing from every year.

I will have records of all my company cars, medical benefits and bonuses, and I have my payslips digitally, so I can do it manually but is there a system which can be accessed either by myself or an accountant that shows my historic contributions as I'm sure there must be an error somewhere. The Government Gateway only goes back to LY as far as I can see.
https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates/income-over-100000
Do you do self assessment?

You can log on to your tax account online and see your current tax code. You can then update online the yearly salary you believe you'll get including bonus etc.

This will then alter tax code.
SW4, you've probably already done this but it's worthwhile digging out any correspondence from recent years - particularly any coding notices - and just seeing if you can agree to HMRC's calculations. You should be able to see the rationale behind any adjustments that have been made, and also that the numbers make sense.

I say should, because the system is certainly not infallible; at the very least you'll be armed with some information. One problem is HMRC adjustments to coding being retrospective, and often by more than one tax year.
(10-23-2022, 12:57 PM)Ossian Wrote: SW4, you've probably already done this but it's worthwhile digging out any correspondence from recent years - particularly any coding notices - and just seeing if you can agree to HMRC's calculations. You should be able to see the rationale behind any adjustments that have been made, and also that the numbers make sense.

I say should, because the system is certainly not infallible; at the very least you'll be armed with some information. One problem is HMRC adjustments to coding being retrospective, and often by more than one tax year.

I pay tax through PAYE as full time employed and currently no other incomes.

I had a couple of overlap spells between jobs where I was receiving two incomes and two company cars, which has really confused my tax codes, I seem to have a new one every couple months.

I do think I need to trawl back through it all manually, but was hoping there was an easier way.

Thanks lads
(10-23-2022, 01:16 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(10-23-2022, 12:57 PM)Ossian Wrote: SW4, you've probably already done this but it's worthwhile digging out any correspondence from recent years - particularly any coding notices - and just seeing if you can agree to HMRC's calculations. You should be able to see the rationale behind any adjustments that have been made, and also that the numbers make sense.

I pay tax through PAYE as full time employed and currently no other incomes.

I had a couple of overlap spells between jobs where I was receiving two incomes and two company cars, which has really confused my tax codes, I seem to have a new one every couple months.

I do think I need to trawl back through it all manually, but was hoping there was an easier way.

Thanks lads

If you don't pay, they would have to assess you with the figures  and information to back it up.  If it's wrong, you can appeal.  If it's correct on your cross-checking you pay and they have done the work for you!