A not so much who do you want as manager
Preparation.
Someone who believes a 13 points gap with 33 games to go can be closed
Megson did 11 in 10 games
Someone who looks at all our games before the World Cup and demands we win them all
(10-11-2022, 12:00 PM)Baggiedownunder Wrote: Someone who believes a 13 points gap with 33 games to go can be closed
Someone who looks at all our games before the World Cup and demands we win them all

Anyone can demand that we win games, changing things around to allow us to do so is the real key.
(10-11-2022, 12:04 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 12:00 PM)Baggiedownunder Wrote: Someone who believes a 13 points gap with 33 games to go can be closed

Anyone can demand that we win games, changing things around to allow us to do so is the real key.

Bruce was content with a point v Luton
That’s not the person I want going forward
(10-11-2022, 11:41 AM)Peachy Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 10:23 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Results obviously.

Youth development, key for a club of our size without external investment.

A clear tactical plan that we recruit for.

Ability to improve players by coaching.

Don't care what style or how pretty the football is.

Agree with all of this. 

I'd love to see us appoint a DOF and Head coach at the same time. A pair who work with each other. The DOF will implement a new scouting structure and also work with the Academy director in bringing youth players through. 

I've said for a good while Mark Robins ticks a lot of boxes for me. Can work on a budget, has bought Coventry back from the dead and has a great working relationship with Richard Stevens our academy director from their time at Coventry.

Can Gourlay see all this though. Therein lies the problem......

Robins is incredibly loyal to Coventry. He'd be excellent.
Someone who's young and hungry, with modern ideas. He also needs to be tactically astute, so isn't wed to a single formation and will try different things to exploit the opposition's weaknesses or counter their strengths. He also needs to be charismatic enough to get senior players onboard plus also be capable of developing other players too. He alsoi needs to be astute enough to recognise the deadwood in our squad and not play them unless he has no option, until such time that they can be shown the door.

I think the style of play does matter, as I believe people will become less and less willing to accept boring football when the financial situation is really difficult and there are many other things they could be doing with their time. I don't accept that attacking football is less successful than defensive football so, if the former can be implemented to a positive effect, it's much better to go with that than be defensive.

We've done our time over many years with managers who aim to win 1-0, so it's time for the shackles to be removed, albeit in a sensible and organised way!
Can tell my football education was 90's Italian football.

I like managers that aim for a 1-0 win, get the goal, keep a clean sheet, perfect. Same as I can watch a good defence for hours, and really don't get over excited at players going on pointless dribbles, if there isn't a goal or assist at the end, waste of energy.

Think I'm very much a minority.
(10-11-2022, 01:34 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Can tell my football education was 90's Italian football.

I like managers that aim for a 1-0 win, get the goal, keep a clean sheet, perfect. Same as I can watch a good defence for hours, and really don't get over excited at players going on pointless dribbles, if there isn't a goal or assist at the end, waste of energy.

You like what you like, personally I found Italian defence based football utterly unwatchable.
(10-11-2022, 01:36 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 01:34 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Can tell my football education was 90's Italian football.

You like what you like, personally I found Italian defence based football utterly unwatchable.

How? Proper defending, no sliding tackles, perfect positioning, tactically perfect. Oh it was glorious.
(10-11-2022, 01:38 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(10-11-2022, 01:36 PM)MassDebater Wrote:

How? Proper defending, no sliding tackles, perfect positioning, tactically perfect. Oh it was glorious.

I just found it totally dull. Yes, defending is an art, but personally I like to see goals... As I've said before, Ossie Ardiles for me over 1-0.... If i lived nearer to Wrexham I think i'd be tempted to take in some of their games! Big Grin