A not so much who do you want as manager
There is prioritising defensive organisation and there is putting a team out with no intention of winning the game or even scoring a goal. Pulis took the latter approach far too often which is why he will forever be bottom of my list of Albion managers. Even Bruce tried to win the game.

I want a manager who will form strategy and tactics around the players we have rather than the other way around. I cannot fathom how many professional coaches will shove square pegs in round holes in the name of their 'system'. I don't want a system, I'd be happy for us play with a different formation/approach every game depending on the opposition! unrealistic I know, but having 1, 2 or even 3 strategies (with players knowing their jobs in in each) depending on the opposition shouldn't be that hard.

I'd disagree with some on here who shy away from terms like 'young, progressive etc'. I do want a younger coach as we've had plenty of the old boys club over the last decade and I want someone with some energy and with something to prove who will galvanise the club. I do want someone who uses data and modern methodologies in a 'progressive' fashion rather than the back of a fag packet. As I've said above, I don't want someone who has a system they refuse to deviate from or even a system at all. Someone who decides what system we'll play after working with the players for a few weeks will be fine with me.
(10-12-2022, 01:25 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: There is prioritising defensive organisation and there is putting a team out with no intention of winning the game or even scoring a goal. Pulis took the latter approach far too often which is why he will forever be bottom of my list of Albion managers. Even Bruce tried to win the game.

I want a manager who will form strategy and tactics around the players we have rather than the other way around. I cannot fathom how many professional coaches will shove round pegs in square holes in the name of their 'system'. I don't want a system, I'd be happy for us play with a different formation/approach every game depending on the opposition! unrealistic I know, but having 1, 2 or even 3 strategies (with players knowing their jobs in in each) depending on the opposition shouldn't be that hard.

Aye, it'd be nice having a manager who knows how to play to the player's we have strengths. no point hoofing crosses in when we have no striker likely to be near them (as per Val and Bruce's approach)
(10-12-2022, 01:25 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: There is prioritising defensive organisation and there is putting a team out with no intention of winning the game or even scoring a goal. Pulis took the latter approach far too often which is why he will forever be bottom of my list of Albion managers. Even Bruce tried to win the game.

I want a manager who will form strategy and tactics around the players we have rather than the other way around. I cannot fathom how many professional coaches will shove square pegs in round holes in the name of their 'system'. I don't want a system, I'd be happy for us play with a different formation/approach every game depending on the opposition! unrealistic I know, but having 1, 2 or even 3 strategies (with players knowing their jobs in in each) depending on the opposition shouldn't be that hard.

I'd disagree with some on here who shy away from terms like 'young, progressive etc'. I do want a younger coach as we've had plenty of the old boys club over the last decade and I want someone with some energy and with something to prove who will galvanise the club. I do want someone who uses data and modern methodologies in a 'progressive' fashion rather than the back of a fag packet. As I've said above, I don't want someone who has a system they refuse to deviate from or even a system at all. Someone who decides what system we'll play after working with the players for a few weeks will be fine with me.

No one is advocating for a team that has no intention of winning. It's just basics that any good manager will prioritise a defensive system that works and allows the attacking players to have the biggest impact. Guardiola, Klopp, Potter, they all do it well.

Systems can change, but a manager with a set of core principles that can be applied in a number of systems wouldn't go amiss. Again, Potter is a great example of this - his team at Brighton seemed to mix it up every week in terms of shape but the game principles never changed. 

Agree with your last paragraph.
Yes I agree with the prioritisation of defensive organisation, I was more responding to Birdy's point about Pulis. Townsend used to be my favourite player and any manager who can un-shit him will be welcomed by me!
Whoever we get in will have to play winning football as we are currently in the relegation zone.

I'd agree that we finally need a manager who can play with the players he has, not those he wishes he had.

This is bang on. Exactly my thoughts on what we need. If we could find a great DOF to work with him then even better.
(10-12-2022, 01:25 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: I want a manager who will form strategy and tactics around the players we have rather than the other way around. I cannot fathom how many professional coaches will shove square pegs in round holes in the name of their 'system'. I don't want a system, I'd be happy for us play with a different formation/approach every game depending on the opposition! unrealistic I know, but having 1, 2 or even 3 strategies (with players knowing their jobs in in each) depending on the opposition shouldn't be that hard.

Corberan would tick that box. His Huddersfield team played a variety of tactics depending on opposition and he would often make multiple system tweaks in one game.

What I like about him is that whilst he’s versatile, he has a core set of values around pressing, hard work and being defensively solid. The football was not pretty at Hudds, but they were very well organised and knew how to adapt in game, that shows excellent coaching.

The issue is - again as seen with Hudds and at Olympiakos - his methods take time. I do fear we could find ourselves stuck in the bottom 3 whilst his ideas take shape.