The Better Alternative in 2019
The lovely, compassionate, trustworthy and loyal politician that Dekka and others on here wanted as our current PM.

‘Jeremy Corbyn has condemned the UK… for supplying Ukraine with weapons and “Prolonging and exaggerating” Russia’s war.

“The former Labour leader, who refused to blame Russia for the Salisbury poisonings in 2018, said that "pouring arms in isn't gonna bring back a solution".
* Speaking in an interview with Al Mayadeen, an independent Arab satellite news channel, believed to have links with terrorist organisations,   the Independent MP for Islington North said it was “disappointing” that “hardly any of the world’s leaders use the word peace” when discussing the invasion.
It’s a pity the Russians didn’t “use the word peace” before they invaded! Yes, pity we helped prolong and exaggerate Russia’s war; an independent, sovereign state could have been subjugated quicker and be a tranquil and contented Russian satellite by now.  

“Corbyn suggested, then the African Union or Arab League - which includes Syria - should mediate because they 'have no direct economic interest one way or the other'.”
Actually Russia has arms deals with many African states from whom it also imports natural resources.

www.lbc.co.uk/news/corbyn-criticises-uk-sending-weapons-to-ukraine/

* Oh and heaven forbid that a Labour politician should talk to GB News or the Sun.
Name names...

Who, on here, wanted Corbyn as PM? Who, on here, thought there was even the slightest chance of that happening (bearing in mind his approval ratings had been at minus 40% for the duration of the campaign).
https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/15...6935335936 - link to the part of the interview in question if anyone wants to watch it.

Finding it tough to disagree with his points around peace and the treatment of refugees.
JOK is suffering from his usual selective memory syndrome, I’m surprised he hasn't provided a page of links to random sites or posts from here to support his ‘fact’ that we wanted JC for PM.

Most in here recognised JC as unelectable and saw his weaknesses. JOK’s main recurring failing throughout his posts is his inability to recognise the weaknesses and many failings of The Tory party which has stepped up a gear with Johnson in charge and now the latest patsy to take the job.

He’ll cry #leastworst when it comes to the 2019 election and will ignore the obvious hypocrisy at the next one at some point in the next two years.
(08-03-2022, 09:17 AM)baggy1 Wrote: JOK is suffering from his usual selective memory syndrome, I’m surprised he hasn't provided a page of links to random sites or posts from here to support his ‘fact’ that we wanted JC for PM.

Most in here recognised JC as unelectable and saw his weaknesses. JOK’s main recurring failing throughout his posts is his inability to recognise the weaknesses and many failings of The Tory party which has stepped up a gear with Johnson in charge and now the latest patsy to take the job.

He’ll cry #leastworst when it comes to the 2019 election and will ignore the obvious hypocrisy at the next one at some point in the next two years.

Agreed. However, certain posters on here will go on and on and on about Johnson's failings and people supporting him even though pretty much everyone who would be on his general side politically had declared him an unfit leader/PM. 

Fair?
(08-03-2022, 12:50 PM)Fido Wrote:
(08-03-2022, 09:17 AM)baggy1 Wrote: JOK is suffering from his usual selective memory syndrome, I’m surprised he hasn't provided a page of links to random sites or posts from here to support his ‘fact’ that we wanted JC for PM.

Agreed. However, certain posters on here will go on and on and on about Johnson's failings and people supporting him even though pretty much everyone who would be on his general side politically had declared him an unfit leader/PM. 

Fair?

Difference being that Johnson actually became PM

Fair?

Not at the point when he was elected they didn’t. You had most of those who supported him / voted for him on here saying it didn’t matter too much that he lied as ‘they all do it’. Ignoring his record / reputation for lying and unsuitability for the role, and playing down the overwhelming evidence that the Conservative party had ramped up their contempt for the truth during the last election campaign. Again it was dressed up as ‘they all do it’ or it didn’t really matter, or laughably it wasn’t true. The only time it mattered to them was when it became nigh in impossible to justify his actions and it was embarrassing to even try. 

It did matter and it has eroded further the standards in British politics to the lowest point I can remember.
Johnson v Corbyn was the greatest illustration of #leastworst in British political history. Particularly in hindsight.
(08-03-2022, 08:16 AM)JOK Wrote: The lovely, compassionate, trustworthy and loyal politician that Dekka and others on here wanted as our current PM.

‘Jeremy Corbyn has condemned the UK… for supplying Ukraine with weapons and “Prolonging and exaggerating” Russia’s war.

“The former Labour leader, who refused to blame Russia for the Salisbury poisonings in 2018, said that "pouring arms in isn't gonna bring back a solution".
* Speaking in an interview with Al Mayadeen, an independent Arab satellite news channel, believed to have links with terrorist organisations,   the Independent MP for Islington North said it was “disappointing” that “hardly any of the world’s leaders use the word peace” when discussing the invasion.
It’s a pity the Russians didn’t “use the word peace” before they invaded! Yes, pity we helped prolong and exaggerate Russia’s war; an independent, sovereign state could have been subjugated quicker and be a tranquil and contented Russian satellite by now.  

“Corbyn suggested, then the African Union or Arab League - which includes Syria - should mediate because they 'have no direct economic interest one way or the other'.”
Actually Russia has arms deals with many African states from whom it also imports natural resources.

www.lbc.co.uk/news/corbyn-criticises-uk-sending-weapons-to-ukraine/

* Oh and heaven forbid that a Labour politician should talk to GB News or the Sun.

JOKs fact based narrative takes a bit of a back seat when it comes to his blind spot I see  Big Grin

Fair?

Definitely, it is an example of how a small minority of the population (the Tory members in this case) can hoist upon us a leader who we wouldn't necessarily want and then there is a reversion, once they are at the helm, to football support politics. I do always subscribe that he was a known conman, I just don't think anyone knew how bad he was.

We have become settled into a world without nuance, Brexit being the perfect example of that, you're either for or against and no you can't have any compromises. For many Boris 'delivered' Brexit therefore he is good and no matter how much he steals from the public purse or takes great swaths out of our rules to keep order where they don't suit his personal needs, or just simply lies to peoples faces and everyone knows it, it doesn't matter. This is shown by someone who will be choosing the next leader of the country accuses Sunak of not being loyal in a public debate. Johnson is a crook, why should anyone on earth be loyal to that, it's the leadership of the country not the Queen Vic.

(08-03-2022, 01:16 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Johnson v Corbyn was the greatest illustration of #leastworst in British political history. Particularly in hindsight.

Agreed, but my point still stands that you only veer towards the leastworst line when that least worst happens to be Tory. You say there is a fag paper between Tory and Labour policies  at the moment which indicates the leastworst, in your view, is a centrist labour government. But I would bet some decent money that you won't be voting for him which nullifies your original leastworst reasoning.
(08-03-2022, 03:30 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(08-03-2022, 01:16 PM)Protheroe Wrote: Johnson v Corbyn was the greatest illustration of #leastworst in British political history. Particularly in hindsight.

Agreed, but my point still stands that you only veer towards the leastworst line when that least worst happens to be Tory. You say there is a fag paper between Tory and Labour policies  at the moment which indicates the leastworst, in your view, is a centrist labour government. But I would bet some decent money that you won't be voting for him which nullifies your original leastworst reasoning.

The gravity of #leastworst is definitely shifting B1.

Here's a confessional for you: my problem with the Tories for the last couple of years and particularly at the moment is that you literally have no idea what you're getting. Sound money was jettisoned long ago, contradictions between liberalism and regulation abound both economically and socially, moral hazard has become de rigueur to the extent that everyone expects a bung whatever their means.

On one hand Liz Truss talks sense about the deregulation of gene editing and deregulation of the insurance market, then on the other hand is barking mad with tax cuts and pay cuts for public sector workers. It's Tory Tombola season - stick your hand in see whether you win the Champagne or the Blue 20/20. I'm dizzy with the sheer spectacle of it.

My vote at the next election will be for whichever of the two main parties promises to see the homes we need built (and means it), to invest in the energy infrastructure we need (and means it), to accept that London drives the UK economy and gives it the tools it needs, to take the shackles off gene editing, to allow the labs we need to be built in Cambridge rather than expect scientists to relocate to Middlesbrough, to sort the impasse with Horizon or find the funding to replace it, to lower visa charges for scientists, to come to a practical agreement on the Northern Ireland protocol, to ignore Nicola Sturgeon, to stop the crazy regulation of the private rented sector which is reducing supply and driving up rents, to stop lying to me that a heat pump will adequately heat my house.

There's nothing in that list that a pragmatic Labour party couldn't accept is there?