Pereira
(07-23-2022, 10:03 PM)Sliced Wrote: So much bollocks going around. The obsession with Val is baffling. Pereira being sold was 100% down to those behind the scenes, and especially the fact that we sold him for a fraction of his value. He wanted to go and we caved for a quick bit of cash. Probably to fund the owners loan.

As the topic AGAIN seems to be dominating the board because Besiktas finally lost a game despite the fact we won today; Val started out well here, and got worse. In January he wanted a striker and midfielder. He got the former who got injured after one game and no midfielder. Bruce came in and made us even worse on the pitch but has seemingly had a really good transfer window after a much needed end of season break. Thankfully those behind the scenes have been co-operative rather than a hindrance in getting not only one much needed midfielder, but three of them without any significant losses. The squad is in a much better place for us to challenge than last year and I'd argue that there's absolutely no excuse for Bruce not to take us higher than 5th, where Val left us.

It's just such an Albion thing for us to beat bundesliga opposition because of players coming off the bench when a lack of bench options was the massive issue last season and, instead of being happy, we're still talking about the last bloke who left over half a year ago.

We're a weird bunch, no doubt about that.

For what it's worth, super excited about this season.
(07-23-2022, 09:37 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(07-23-2022, 09:36 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(07-23-2022, 11:57 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(07-23-2022, 11:50 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(07-23-2022, 11:01 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Indeed.

Val originally planned to use him on the right.

Other players complained about his attitude in training and he clearly didn't want to be here. Val wanted an all in, all effort culture, so was happy to sell Pereira. Imagine he thought we'd get more too.

The fact he wanted to play Pereira on the right should have started the alarm bells ringing

In Vals tactic best place for him. Val never used attacking midfielders, same as Klopp never does. 

This is what I don't get about Pereira worshippers, a good player doesn't play in just one single position, especially since the right of a 3 pronged attack as Val had it is similar to an attacking midfielder role in a lot of ways. He had all the attributes to be a star in that role and position, no reason he couldn't do it.

That's a bit like saying Michael Owen, Lineker or Shearer should have been able to play as defenders or ball winning midfielders....

Don’t go giving Athers ideas…

Lol my skool report at 5 said jeanius

(07-23-2022, 11:01 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(07-23-2022, 10:37 AM)Cuzer Wrote: What an absolute load of bollocks

Cuzer

Indeed.

Other players complained about his attitude in training and he clearly didn't want to be here. Val wanted an all in, all effort culture, so was happy to sell Pereira. Imagine he thought we'd get more too.

The fact he wanted to play Pereira on the right should have started the alarm bells ringing

In Vals tactic best place for him. Val never used attacking midfielders, same as Klopp never does. 

This is what I don't get about Pereira worshippers, a good player doesn't play in just one single position, especially since the right of a 3 pronged attack as Val had it is similar to an attacking midfielder role in a lot of ways. He had all the attributes to be a star in that role and position, no reason he couldn't do it.

That's a bit like saying Michael Owen, Lineker or Shearer should have been able to play as defenders or ball winning midfielders....

The voice of sanity....

(07-23-2022, 10:37 AM)Cuzer Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 06:34 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: Pereira seems to be a very flaky individual, but I can't let this thread pass without reminding everyone that Valerian Ismael tried to remove every creative player from the club. If he'd wanted Pereira we could have hung onto him. It took minutes to unravel what was left of the positives from the Bilic era.

What an absolute load of bollocks

Cuzer

Indeed.

Really?  Where did this come from?
(07-23-2022, 11:55 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(07-23-2022, 09:37 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(07-23-2022, 11:50 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: The fact he wanted to play Pereira on the right should have started the alarm bells ringing

Don’t go giving Athers ideas…

Lol my skool report at 5 said jeanius

The voice of sanity....

(07-23-2022, 10:37 AM)Cuzer Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 06:34 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: Pereira seems to be a very flaky individual, but I can't let this thread pass without reminding everyone that Valerian Ismael tried to remove every creative player from the club. If he'd wanted Pereira we could have hung onto him. It took minutes to unravel what was left of the positives from the Bilic era.

What an absolute load of bollocks

Cuzer

Indeed.

Really?  Where did this come from?

Val had him part of his plans when he came in until other players complained that he wasn't trying in training while Val was being hard on everyone. The only position he could have played in his strict 3-4-3 is on the right. And the plan was to use him there afaik.
(07-23-2022, 10:37 AM)Cuzer Wrote: What an absolute load of bollocks

Cuzer

Indeed.

And just read this again.

Fuck me your arms must hurt from a reach that far.

I mentioned how an attacking midfielder could play in what is another attacking midfielder role and you compare it to a striker playing a defensive role.

Why I stopped debating on here so much, the lack of intelligence in football debate is annoying.
Going back to the original post...... Pereira hasn't moved anywhere as far as I can tell.  Big Grin
(07-23-2022, 10:38 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:

Not at all.

An attacking midfielder should be able to play on either side of a 3 pronged attack. Barnes and Maddison both can and do for Leicester at times.

C'rect Birdy. Playing MP in the front 3 would have been no different to what we did playing Diang, Robbo, Grant, Phillips or anyone's other than Hugill who was the only real no.9 we had until Carroll joined.
People saying Val didn't want MP are just convincing themselves. The reality has now become apparent,  our owner unsettled Periera, full stop.