Massive Improvement Today
Cunninghamismagic Wrote:The fact that we are now on a par with the likes of Coventry says it all.

I was thinking that at the game - damning indictment on our club.
In fact, given their trajectory in regrowing the fan base, enthusiatism, decent upcoming manager and neat passing team, you could say they are moving ahead of our underperforming, stale club.
(04-24-2022, 08:11 AM)EastMidsBaggie Wrote:
Cunninghamismagic Wrote:The fact that we are now on a par with the likes of Coventry says it all.

In fact, given their trajectory in regrowing the fan base, enthusiatism, decent upcoming manager and neat passing team, you could say they are moving ahead of our underperforming, stale club.

How thoroughly fucking depressing.
GunsOfNavarone Wrote:
EastMidsBaggie Wrote:

and that's how it felt going through the motions up there yesterday with little to excite for next season based upon the last 15 games...
(04-24-2022, 09:08 AM)EastMidsBaggie Wrote:
GunsOfNavarone Wrote:
EastMidsBaggie Wrote:

and that's how it felt going through the motions up there yesterday with little to excite for next season based upon the last 15 games...

I still can't work out what it was they were actually trying to do. Rarely threatened with any real intent yet at the same time we were open enough to have been played through for chunks of the game. Just as well Coventry didn't appear overly interested either. Felt numb watching it. Another nothing game in a nothing season.
A massive improvement would be if we could beat the first defender with a corner. Our first 3 yesterday were rubbish yet the one time a decent corner came in, Clarke was unlucky with the header. It ain't that difficult! Likewise free kicks, why are they always overhit past the far post? Simple basics.
(04-24-2022, 09:30 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: A massive improvement would be if we could beat the first defender with a corner. Our first 3 yesterday were rubbish yet the one time a decent corner came in, Clarke was unlucky with the header. It ain't that difficult! Likewise free kicks, why are they always overhit past the far post? Simple basics.

Correct. Reach at fault for that. 

A few things really wind me up in our play. Other than our overall play being wank, of course. 

Why do we not leave anyone up when defending corners? All 11 men in our box. No outlet and it ends up coming straight back when we do clear it. 

Why do we never have a near post runner when we have a corner? Especially when at least half of our corners don’t beat the first man? We actually utilised that move quite well under Slav with O’Shea making the run to the near post.
(04-23-2022, 05:18 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: The fact that we are now on a par with the likes of Coventry says it all.

Coventry are now a better team than us - unless I am reading the league table wrong?
Dumbo Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:A massive improvement would be if we could beat the first defender with a corner. Our first 3 yesterday were rubbish yet the one time a decent corner came in, Clarke was unlucky with the header. It ain't that difficult! Likewise free kicks, why are they always overhit past the far post? Simple basics.

A few things really wind me up in our play. Other than our overall play being wank, of course. 

Why do we not leave anyone up when defending corners? All 11 men in our box. No outlet and it ends up coming straight back when we do clear it. 

Why do we never have a near post runner when we have a corner? Especially when at least half of our corners don’t beat the first man? We actually utilised that move quite well under Slav with O’Shea making the run to the near post.
Yes, O'Shea was at his most effective attacking from the near post.  Also, at one (of our) corners yesterday Cov left 3 men up and we had to send 4 back. Then when they had corners we left no one upfield. I could not see any form of plan or anything that had been done on the training ground.
(04-24-2022, 11:28 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
Dumbo Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:A massive improvement would be if we could beat the first defender with a corner. Our first 3 yesterday were rubbish yet the one time a decent corner came in, Clarke was unlucky with the header. It ain't that difficult! Likewise free kicks, why are they always overhit past the far post? Simple basics.

Yes, O'Shea was at his most effective attacking from the near post.  Also, at one (of our) corners yesterday Cov left 3 men up and we had to send 4 back. Then when they had corners we left no one upfield. I could not see any form of plan or anything that had been done on the training ground.

Andy Johnson said as much in the match comms. He derided the umpteenth cornet that was cleared away and said it is all well and good having Carroll in the box to aim at but he saw nothing imaginative from the training ground for any of our set pieces.
(04-24-2022, 12:49 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(04-24-2022, 11:28 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
Dumbo Wrote:

Andy Johnson said as much in the match comms. He derided the umpteenth cornet that was cleared away and said it is all well and good having Carroll in the box to aim at but he saw nothing imaginative from the training ground for any of our set pieces.

This is basic coaching. Something so easy to remedy, yet it hasn't been done. Very telling.