My best pal......
We lost our Norfolk Terrier 3 weeks ago aged 11 after 6 months of nursing him though cancer. I'm a bit better than I was, but to be honest it has been unbearable. I haven't had a worse day than the one where we had him put to sleep.

My sympathies to you Peachy mate
(02-28-2022, 04:14 PM)Old Stroller Wrote: We lost Jess, our 14yo labradoodle on December 29th after she became ill a couple of days earlier. We’d planned with the vet that when the time came she would make a house visit, but being the Christmas holiday they were short staffed and we had to drive her the vets to say our goodbyes. She was our world, and the house felt completely empty afterwards. For the next three or four days we revisited a few of Jess’s favourite walks and she was with us in spirit. It made us feel a little better. I’d recommend it.

Well that's completely heartbreaking and quite lovely in equal measure.
(02-28-2022, 02:32 PM)Peachy Wrote: I've just this morning had to put down my 14 year old chocolate lab after she became ill on Friday. 

I am absolutely broken. I know there are plenty of dog lovers on here who have been through the same. I've just come back into the house and it feels totally soulless. I can see her everywhere.......

Life is feeling particularly shit at the moment.....
Truly sorry for you Peachy. Not long after the Mrs and I got married we adopted a dog from a rescue centre, an absolute legend. When our lad was born, she used to go to sleep next to his cot, wouldn`t let anybody who was  not family or friend near him, but was as daft as a brush, kids in the street used to knock our door asking if they could play with the dog, she lived to be 14 also. We replaced her with the current hound, half Jack Russell / half Springer, barmy, and much loved, but, a different personality to the old one.
If I could give you any advice, I would say leave it for a few months, then start looking for a new one.
Again, deepest sympathy mate.
Sorry to hear this sad news Peachy.

Stay strong!
So sorry to hear the news, Peachy. We had our old lurcher for nearly 14 years, and we've never replaced her. Still got a picture of her on my desk 11 years on. And we still find dog hair all over the place. Dogs truly are a joy and such an important member of the family.
(02-28-2022, 04:29 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 04:14 PM)Old Stroller Wrote: We lost Jess, our 14yo labradoodle on December 29th after she became ill a couple of days earlier. We’d planned with the vet that when the time came she would make a house visit, but being the Christmas holiday they were short staffed and we had to drive her the vets to say our goodbyes. She was our world, and the house felt completely empty afterwards. For the next three or four days we revisited a few of Jess’s favourite walks and she was with us in spirit. It made us feel a little better. I’d recommend it.

Well that's completely heartbreaking and quite lovely in equal measure.

Have been doing the same-the little fella's ashes are going to be scattered on his favourite walk soon.   How we cope with that emotionally is quite another matter though...
Peachy Wrote:I've just this morning had to put down my 14 year old chocolate lab after she became ill on Friday. 

I am absolutely broken. I know there are plenty of dog lovers on here who have been through the same. I've just come back into the house and it feels totally soulless. I can see her everywhere.......

Life is feeling particularly shit at the moment.....

Sorry to hear that. I share your pain.

We got the message form the vets that we had to put our wonderful Westie boy down as I was driving back from Ewood Park last year.
I got there to hold his paw as he went but, god, that really was one of the hardest moments in my life letting my pal go.

Luckily we still have another great dog but the bond with him for over thirteen years, especially over lockdown and working from home, was a beautiful thing.
Strangely, also over lockdown, I'd taken lots of great footage of the dogs and it keeps the wonderful memories alive for us.

Still miss the little fella so much six months later though...

Ted Maul Wrote:Awful news Peachy. Some people might think it's just a dog/cat whatever but they become such huge parts of the family.

Those folks just don't get it I'm afraid. It's their loss though.
Just want to say thanks to everyone for their kind words. Amazing bunch you lot.

I'm doing all right but telling the kids when they got back from school was awful.

Thanks again all. Hoping those useless twats in stripes tonight try and cheer me up......... you can but hope.
Its horrible when you lose a pet. All the best.
Sorry Peachy - I posted this 16 months ago and got a similar response for which I was very grateful. 

I still miss the bloody lunatic.

No more dogs (wbaunofficial.org.uk)