Solidarity With Ukraine Thread
(02-25-2022, 02:53 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 02:27 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 12:58 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 12:21 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Younger Russians generally upset. Sadly the older generation seem to be fully behind Putin, see Ukrainians as terrorists and the aggressors.

Younger Russian's are at risk of being conscripted into this. Older Russians are not.

I have a feeling that might be swaying opinion on this.

Also the older ones remember the days of the great world power that the USSR was. The fact they all didn't have a pot to piss in, and had to save for 20 years to buy a knackered Lada seems to have been forgotten.

The queue for that first McDonald's in Moscow was visible from space.

Isn't anything visible from space if you have a good enough camera? Wasted mouseclick...
(02-25-2022, 02:12 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: It's absolutely tragic for the people of Ukraine, and for most Russians. It will spark a deepening world-wide recession, as if Covid hadn't been bad enough.

I suppose it's the inevitable consequence of the rise of populist border-line bonkers world leaders (Berlusconi, Trump, Putin), who gather support amongst xenophobes and older people. The rhetoric is fine, it's what politicians do and people love it, but this is a huge step beyond. Similar thing in India, Modi is hugely popular with most Hindus and gets away with tremendous discrimination against other religions.

Spot on Chesh. Modi is a prick
(02-25-2022, 02:24 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 01:29 PM)HugeHons Wrote: FIFA President needs to take a long hard look at himself.

I could not agree more.

What a bloody charlatan.

Yeah, but made up for it by giving it to a respectable place like Qatar next! Oh wait.................
There's a video circulating of a tracked armoured vehicle spotting a saloon car in the street then accelerating towards it and flattening it and the occupants. Be warned it's horrific and can't be unseen.
(02-25-2022, 03:05 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 12:21 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Younger Russians generally upset. Sadly the older generation seem to be fully behind Putin, see Ukrainians as terrorists and the aggressors.

Younger Russian's are at risk of being conscripted into this. Older Russians are not.

Also the older ones remember the days of the great world power that the USSR was. The fact they all didn't have a pot to piss in, and had to save for 20 years to buy a knackered Lada seems to have been forgotten.

They're comparing against an romanticised version of the USSR that they weren't alive to remember and probably never existed.

Now where have I heard that before?
(02-25-2022, 03:21 PM)Jacobthebaggie Wrote: There's a video circulating of a tracked armoured vehicle spotting a saloon car in the street then accelerating towards it and flattening it and the occupants. Be warned it's horrific and can't be unseen.

Thankfully the guy survived, it was a blatant murder attempt
(02-25-2022, 03:44 PM)HugeHons Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 03:21 PM)Jacobthebaggie Wrote: There's a video circulating of a tracked armoured vehicle spotting a saloon car in the street then accelerating towards it and flattening it and the occupants. Be warned it's horrific and can't be unseen.

Thankfully the guy survived, it was a blatant murder attempt

Cheers for that info. It's been playing on my mind since seeing it. Poor fuckers must be going through hell over and over again
(02-25-2022, 03:26 PM)Duffers Wrote:

They're comparing against an romanticised version of the USSR that they weren't alive to remember and probably never existed.

they are actually more enamoured with the vision of pre communist Russia and the Czarist empire than they are the USSR.
(02-25-2022, 03:48 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 12:58 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Younger Russian's are at risk of being conscripted into this. Older Russians are not.

they are actually more enamoured with the vision of pre communist Russia and the Czarist empire than they are the USSR.

I think Duffers was referring to something closer to home. 

I do wonder if those that voted to leave are starting to realise the ringleaders of the whole affair are now defending Russia, the same Russia that would benefit from having a divided Europe and weakened UK so that they could get on with their own plans. Hmmmm, penny dropping anyone?
(02-25-2022, 03:56 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 03:48 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 02:27 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Also the older ones remember the days of the great world power that the USSR was. The fact they all didn't have a pot to piss in, and had to save for 20 years to buy a knackered Lada seems to have been forgotten.

They're comparing against an romanticised version of the USSR that they weren't alive to remember

I think Duffers was referring to something closer to home. 

I do wonder if those that voted to leave are starting to realise the ringleaders of the whole affair are now defending Russia, the same Russia that would benefit from having a divided Europe and weakened UK so that they could get on with their own plans. Hmmmm, penny dropping anyone?

Nah! They will double down on lying to themselves it was a good idea despite the list of organisations and individuals associated heavily with voting to leave.

Banks praises Putin
Farage admires Putin
Johnson (when it suited him) Russian donors give to party
Gove Russian donors give to party
Murdoch and the Sun - Fox News praising Trump and Putin
The Mail
The Express  
The ERG, Russian donors giving to party.

It will be very difficult to know what the average Russian thinks inside Russia given the states hold on freedom of speech, the media and right to or not protest. You will have some brave protestors risking their lives and staunch Putin fans at the opposite end of the spectrum. In between that you will have a genuinely silent majority whose opinion we don’t really know.