Tony Mowbray
(04-29-2022, 09:13 AM)wba13 Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 08:42 AM)Squid Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 08:20 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 05:45 AM)Huggybear Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 06:15 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: There is better than Mowbray out there. I think I'd sooner stick with Bruce, and I'm pretty meh about that.
I'm inclined to agree with Derek H on this. he had some fine players that year we went up, funded by selling some fine players the year before, when he should have got us up. For all his talk about fine football, when we were losing he'd always stick Brunty left back to fire the ball to Bednar in the box, from the halfway line. Then he buggered off and has done little or nothing since. Thanks for the memory, but no thanks.

No comparison Mowbray builds teams and you don’t stay at one club for five years without having done a good job .Blackburn were a mess and he rebuilt them and proved he hasn’t gone out of date like certain managers.

If Blackburn fail to get in the play-off’s this season what has Mowbray achieved since he left us of any note? After five years at a club I would expect more than to potentially finish in the top 8! Megson took a complete and utter embarrassment of a club to the Prem on a shoestring in three seasons, the second season missing out in the play-offs! 

Bruce has a better CV and yet he’s a dinosaur, Mowbray is hailed as forward thinking but has a less impressive CV and is what three or four years younger than Bruce?

CV is irrelevant if the manager doesn't perform well in the here and now. I have seen Mowbray send out a decent team with my own eyes this season. Sadly, I cannot say the same for Bruce.
So you didn’t see the Fulham and Bournemouth matches then. Just saying.

I've also seen the Swansea, Stoke and Coventry games.
(04-29-2022, 09:44 AM)Squid Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 05:45 AM)Huggybear Wrote: No comparison Mowbray builds teams and you don’t stay at one club for five years without having done a good job .Blackburn were a mess and he rebuilt them and proved he hasn’t gone out of date like certain managers.

If Blackburn fail to get in the play-off’s this season what has Mowbray achieved since he left us of any note? After five years at a club I would expect more than to potentially finish in the top 8! Megson took a complete and utter embarrassment of a club to the Prem on a shoestring in three seasons, the second season missing out in the play-offs! 

Bruce has a better CV and yet he’s a dinosaur, Mowbray is hailed as forward thinking but has a less impressive CV and is what three or four years younger than Bruce?

CV is irrelevant if the manager doesn't perform well in the here and now. I have seen Mowbray send out a decent team with my own eyes this season. Sadly, I cannot say the same for Bruce.

But you can say the same as Bruce,as I said above Fulham and Bournemouth,it’s irrelevant that you saw other matches as you were stating about Bruce doesn’t perform well. It amazes me how fans only see the worst in Bruce. None of us will know what Mowbray could have done with this bunch of tossers we have. As I’ve said before 4 managers couldn’t get a tune out of these. Remember Bruce wasn’t my first choice and yes I would like Mowbray, but the thing is Bruce is our manager so we should back him.
(04-29-2022, 09:44 AM)Squid Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 05:45 AM)Huggybear Wrote: No comparison Mowbray builds teams and you don’t stay at one club for five years without having done a good job .Blackburn were a mess and he rebuilt them and proved he hasn’t gone out of date like certain managers.

Did you see Blackburns recent games against Reading (L), Blackpool (D), Peterborough (L, FFS), and Stoke (L)?

Mogga sent out a decent team in all of those but they clearly didn't perform.
(04-29-2022, 09:02 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Didn't you want Dean Smith who had achieved less than Mowbray?

Yes, but at that time the choice wasn’t between Bruce or hypothetically Mowbray which this discussion seems to have become. The choice at the time was between Moore and Smith and I stand by my opinion he would have been a better appointment at that time and probably now as well.
(04-29-2022, 10:35 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 09:02 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Didn't you want Dean Smith who had achieved less than Mowbray?

Yes, but at that time the choice wasn’t between Bruce or hypothetically Mowbray which this discussion seems to have become. The choice at the time was between Moore and Smith and I stand by my opinion he would have been a better appointment at that time and probably now as well.

To be fair not going over a done and old debate again. 

I'm just trolling you really, but my view is the same as I've held for a while. 

Bruce has shown me nothing to impress me. However if the club feel he is the man to start the rebuild do be it. I'll support him fully until we see how next season us going.

If they want a change and do go for Mowbray, I'll also support him fully, he's developed as a manager from the very blinkered man we had, he oversaw a fantastic rebuild here before, one which gave us Mozza and Brunt!  So I would probably be a little more excited than I am with Bruce.
I still don't rate Smith at all by the way. He would have done worse than Moore, because he wouldn't have galvanised the club, nor found the players Moore did that summer.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Ironic when TM did the rebuild back then we had more budget to spend then by some distance then we will have this summer.
(04-29-2022, 10:57 AM)Tambag Wrote: Ironic when TM did the rebuild back then we had more budget to spend then by some distance then we will have this summer.

Yes, and much as I liked Mowbray and his approach, he did have almost two bites at the cherry, having taken over relatively early in 06/07. Next season might be make or break for whoever's in charge: no promotion and we could well be looking at the end of the yo-yo sequence for a while.
(04-29-2022, 10:57 AM)Tambag Wrote: Ironic when TM did the rebuild back then we had more budget to spend then by some distance then we will have this summer.

Exactly we had the biggest budget and best squad in the division. Stoke only started spending more than us at Christmas. The of the league was very weak.
Mark Warburton leaving at the end of the season.

Not suprising really, one of the only teams that have been worse than us since Steve took over. It'll be interesting to see who they get in, I don't know what their budgets look like but at the start of the season I thought they were one of the most likely to get promoted.