Jack Smethurst
(02-17-2022, 04:14 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Being let's say from the older generation.
The comedy giants when I was growing up were oldies.
Laurel and Hardy are still fun today IMO. My mind simply accepts it's from days gone by. Even the "Carry on" classics are looking dated now

I bet you couldn't believe it when the Talkies came out  Big Grin
(02-17-2022, 03:58 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(02-17-2022, 03:07 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(02-17-2022, 02:44 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: But the racism was a sub-plot in Rising Damp. You could re-make it, and remove it. You also had some excellent comedy actors in Rising Damp. Racism was the over-riding plot in Love thy Neighbour.

Sorry, I should have explained myself better. I was referring to 'love thy neighbour' not rising damp. I think one of the reasons Rising damp 'gets away with it' was because, as you say, it was only a sub-plot. This then led me to wonder who would want to watch a show that was purely about racial issues - like 'love thy neigbour' - and just how bad a modern remake would be...

You couldn't remake it really, could you?

How about Mind Your Language? I remember that to be a gentle poke at all foreign cultures. I suppose it definitely was racist though, looking back.

I suppose it all then starts getting a little heavier about what 'racism' is and a 'joke' is. A gentle joke may seem harmless to some, but others take offence. 

It's very complicated now what is and isn't in good taste and I think that's why Maureen Lipman recently said comedy is in real threat.

Modern comedy shows are so wet now, pandering to the hypersensitive, that it's pointless. It's a tricky balancing act.
(02-17-2022, 04:23 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(02-17-2022, 02:44 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: But the racism was a sub-plot in Rising Damp. You could re-make it, and remove it. You also had some excellent comedy actors in Rising Damp. Racism was the over-riding plot in Love thy Neighbour.

Sorry, I should have explained myself better. I was referring to 'love thy neighbour' not rising damp. I think one of the reasons Rising damp 'gets away with it' was because, as you say, it was only a sub-plot. This then led me to wonder who would want to watch a show that was purely about racial issues - like 'love thy neigbour' - and just how bad a modern remake would be...

How about Mind Your Language? I remember that to be a gentle poke at all foreign cultures. I suppose it definitely was racist though, looking back.

I suppose it all then starts getting a little heavier about what 'racism' is and a 'joke' is. A gentle joke may seem harmless to some, but others take offence. 

It's very complicated now what is and isn't in good taste and I think that's why Maureen Lipman recently said comedy is in real threat.

Modern comedy shows are so wet now, pandering to the hypersensitive, that it's pointless. It's a tricky balancing act.

Ok some of these aren’t bang up to date but the following aren’t ‘wet’…

Peep Show - drugs, sex, swearing, eating dead dogs
The Inbetweeners - non PC language, under age drinking, crude ref to sex
Fleabag - sex, confrontational, drug taking
Toast of London or Tinsel Town - cartoon violence, sex, swearing general silliness
People Just Do Nothing - working class, swearing, drug taking
After Life - swearing, death, ref sex, drug taking prostitution
IT Crowd - daft, irreverent and not at all wet
Man Down - daft, irreverent abs again not at all wet

I’m sure I’ve forgotten some decent comedies but the list I’ve given, whether they are to everyone’s taste or not cannot be described as ‘wet’. 

Love Thy Neighbour was shite then it’s shite now. Not just because of the passing of time or subject matter but because the jokes were naff. It was about as hard hitting as a bowl of jelly. It joins comedies such as On The Buses in the ‘really?!’ bin. Rising Damp, Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Dads Army are classics Love They Neighbour was jaw dropping rubbish in comparison.

I think you’re in danger of old man shouting at a cloud Spandau. You can still have good quality comedies which I think my list is, you don’t have to be utterly naff abs lazy… well you can look at the success of Mrs Browns boys a comedy that fits the ‘really?!’ bin, but is incredibly popular with the hard of thinking.
(02-17-2022, 10:10 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Toast of London or Tinsel Town - cartoon violence, sex, swearing general silliness

I’m sure I’ve forgotten some decent comedies but the list I’ve given, whether they are to everyone’s taste or not cannot be described as ‘wet’. 

Love Thy Neighbour was shite then it’s shite now. Not just because of the passing of time or subject matter but because the jokes were naff. It was about as hard hitting as a bowl of jelly.  It joins comedies such as On The Buses in the ‘really?!’ bin. Rising Damp, Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Dads Army are classics Love They Neighbour was jaw dropping rubbish in comparison.

I think you’re in danger of old man shouting at a cloud Spandau. You can still have good quality comedies which I think my list is, you don’t have to be utterly naff abs lazy… well you can look at the success of Mrs Browns boys a comedy that fits the ‘really?!’ bin, but is incredibly popular with the hard of thinking.

Fair point enough Derek. 

Haven’t seen some of those, but watch previous little tv these days. 

Find reading or podcasts more my thing. Spent tonight listening to 3 episodes of Desert Island Discs whilst making a bean stew for my vegetarian daughter.

I genuinely don’t understand why so many are offended by Mrs Brown’s Boys. It has a niche for people of a much older and simpler outlook like my father in law.
(02-17-2022, 11:04 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(02-17-2022, 03:07 PM)fuzzbox Wrote: Sorry, I should have explained myself better. I was referring to 'love thy neighbour' not rising damp. I think one of the reasons Rising damp 'gets away with it' was because, as you say, it was only a sub-plot. This then led me to wonder who would want to watch a show that was purely about racial issues - like 'love thy neigbour' - and just how bad a modern remake would be...

Love Thy Neighbour was shite then it’s shite now. Not just because of the passing of time or subject matter but because the jokes were naff. It was about as hard hitting as a bowl of jelly.  It joins comedies such as On The Buses in the ‘really?!’ bin. Rising Damp, Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Dads Army are classics Love They Neighbour was jaw dropping rubbish in comparison.

Fair point enough Derek. 

Find reading or podcasts more my thing. Spent tonight listening to 3 episodes of Desert Island Discs whilst making a bean stew for my vegetarian daughter.

I genuinely don’t understand why so many are offended by Mrs Brown’s Boys. It has a niche for people of a much older and simpler outlook like my father in law.

Re-Mrs Browns Boys, I’m not sure age is an excuse Wink
(02-17-2022, 11:11 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-17-2022, 11:04 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(02-17-2022, 03:58 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: You couldn't remake it really, could you?

Fair point enough Derek. 

Re-Mrs Browns Boys, I’m not sure age is an excuse Wink

There’s not much humour in my father in law. The rudimentary make-up of Mrs Brown’s boys fits in perfectly with my opinion on him.
I'd add a couple to that list, Derek.
This Country
Detectorists
I find both really funny and harmless enough. Although I suppose the former might be aiming a swipe at the people of the Cotswolds and the latter at those with anorak type hobbies. LTN was a particularly poor 'comedy' , poor both then and probably now. It was probably commissioned as a humourous swipe at bigotry but it just showed how out of touch those programmers were.