Hypothetical Albion 2022/23
You’ve forgotten Livermore, who will no doubt still be captain failure in the middle.

The crux of our team should still be good enough to put up a fight next season, as the core isn’t as bad as it’s doing this year, we just failed to address the same gaps that have plagued us for 3-4 years in the summer.

Next summer we need competition at fullback, an energetic midfielder, a creative midfielder/number 10 and a decent ride sided player. That’s 4 first team signings.

Add those to the likes of CR7, Grady, Carroll (sic), Dike, Mowatt, Bartley, O’Shea, Kipré… and a couple of kids to pad the squad and we have a more than decent shot at the top 6 again.
(02-14-2022, 07:54 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: You’ve forgotten Livermore, who will no doubt still be captain failure in the middle.

The crux of our team should still be good enough to put up a fight next season, as the core isn’t as bad as it’s doing this year, we just failed to address the same gaps that have plagued us for 3-4 years in the summer.

Next summer we need competition at fullback, an energetic midfielder, a creative midfielder/number 10 and a decent ride sided player. That’s 4 first team signings.

Add those to the likes of CR7, Grady, Carroll (sic), Dike, Mowatt, Bartley, O’Shea, Kipré… and a couple of kids to pad the squad and we have a more than decent shot at the top 6 again.

Spot the deliberate mistake Big Grin
(02-13-2022, 12:02 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: With the teams coming down win fugged!

Teams would have said the same about us last season and look how that's worked out.

Burnley are in need of a reset, same as us. Watford are a basket case and Norwich have Dean Smith.
(02-14-2022, 09:44 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(02-13-2022, 12:02 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: With the teams coming down win fugged!

Teams would have said the same about us last season and look how that's worked out.

Burnley are in need of a reset, same as us. Watford are a basket case and Norwich have Dean Smith.

Agree with this.

Burnley's squad is hardly young and will need some serious work should they drop this season (Tarkowski, JRod, Vydra, Mee, Barnes are all out of contract) - McNeil and Cornet will go, and whilst they'll get decent fees, they have a LOT of debt to service under their new ownership and with their previous owners retaining an option to re-purchase should Burnley drop, as well as Dyche's VERY lucrative new deal, they'll have a fair amount of distraction to deal with in the summer.

Watford are a basket case but their madness seems to somehow find a way out of the Champ with minimal fuss. Financially they're stronger than most in this league, and will be a threat again regardless of who their wheel of managerial fortune lands on to appoint this time round. 

Norwich have form for getting back up, but Smith isn't a great Championship manager. They'll be in the mix, and finish top 6, but I can't see them having their usual dominating season under him. His Villa and Brenford sides had the same frailities and inconsistencies and I see no reason to think they'll be any different.

Top 6 next season is entirely realistic provided we release some funds into the strengthening we desperately need and have the balls to either ship out or freeze out the perennial underachievers still clinging onto a payday here.t

As funny as it would be, we need to hope Everton, Newcastle and Leeds all get their shit in order and get out of the mire, and that Fulham, B'mouth and one of Boro, SU and Forest make it up this year to clear the divison of the best managers/biggest resources)
(02-13-2022, 11:26 AM)MrFizz Wrote: If we don't go up we could look something like this:

Griffiths

Furlong
Kipre
Bartley
Townsend

TGH
JF Livermore
Mowatt

Grady
Dike
AN Other

If those 'AN Others' are 1) a creative and energetic midfielder, and 2) Dwight Gayle i think i'd settle for that.

Onions?

edited
(02-14-2022, 09:44 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(02-13-2022, 12:02 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: With the teams coming down win fugged!

TBF whilst those 3 will be considerably richer than us, rather them than Leeds, Newcastle or Everton! Although I'd love Everton to drop, for that FA Cup Reply where they cost us promotion by nobbling everyone.
(02-13-2022, 11:26 AM)MrFizz Wrote: If we don't go up we could look something like this:

Griffiths

Furlong
Kipre
Bartley
Townsend

TGH
AN Other
Mowatt

Grady
Dike
AN Other

If those 'AN Others' are 1) a creative and energetic midfielder, and 2) Dwight Gayle i think i'd settle for that.

Onions?

It's not that different from where we're at at the moment to be honest. In some ways it's a blessing that a lot of our players aren't good enough as they aren't going to be whisked away by bigger clubs.

It'll be more difficult next season, but we will probably still have a top half Champ side as we do this year. As long as we have that then a decent manager has the potential to get us promoted.