Having reached bottom (I think)...
(02-01-2022, 09:59 AM)MassDebater Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 09:13 AM)Sliced Wrote: I don't disagree with you. One positive is definitely that the better players within our squad are younger than the players we first got relegated from the Prem with. At least with the likes of Dike, Diangana, Grant, O'Shea there is something to build upon and these few are undoubtedly top half Championship players that will be effective under another manager.

However, a) I don't expect Lai to be capable of that kind of rebuild, b) it's something that has to happen quickly because the finances will only get worse from here and c) I fear that any "overhaul" in the summer will result in us being even worse afterwards.

Totally agree with your assessment.

If we appoint a BFS alike then we can kiss goodbye to anything but a sticking plaster. And there's no guarantee that they'd have enough time to get us back into a solid PO position either, especially with no window to switch things about either... Imagine a BFS type appointment on a 6 monther that doesn't get us up... well that doesn't even bear thinking about.

Compared to some vague hope that things will get better if we stay in this division for the next few seasons with dwindling advantage over any of our competitors and when I say competitors I mean all the division not just those teams who may be at the top of the league? 

What are we basing this idea that we will get a better chance of promotion if we stay in this league for longer than one or two seasons?
(02-01-2022, 10:08 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 09:59 AM)MassDebater Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 09:13 AM)Sliced Wrote: I don't disagree with you. One positive is definitely that the better players within our squad are younger than the players we first got relegated from the Prem with. At least with the likes of Dike, Diangana, Grant, O'Shea there is something to build upon and these few are undoubtedly top half Championship players that will be effective under another manager.

However, a) I don't expect Lai to be capable of that kind of rebuild, b) it's something that has to happen quickly because the finances will only get worse from here and c) I fear that any "overhaul" in the summer will result in us being even worse afterwards.

Totally agree with your assessment.

If we appoint a BFS alike then we can kiss goodbye to anything but a sticking plaster. And there's no guarantee that they'd have enough time to get us back into a solid PO position either, especially with no window to switch things about either... Imagine a BFS type appointment on a 6 monther that doesn't get us up... well that doesn't even bear thinking about.

Compared to some vague hope that things will get better if we stay in this division for the next few seasons with dwindling advantage over any of our competitors and when I say competitors I mean all the division not just those teams who may be at the top of the league? 

What are we basing this idea that we will get a better chance of promotion if we stay in this league for longer than one or two seasons?

I'm not, I think a long dark period will descend once again if we stay down. I just have serious doubts that a SamAlike will be the short term answer to getting this lot firing enough to cling onto a PO Spot... Especially as games in hand could see us around 8th (is it?)... If as Rich just suggested, Six has gone, then the next appointment is major, and I just don't want the usual journeymen who are in it for another fat pay off, thing is, I have next to no faith in those running the club to make an inspired decision either...
(02-01-2022, 09:04 AM)Peachy Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 08:50 AM)Babel Wrote: We've been transformed into a factional club with a  fraction of the pull we've had for two decades. We have a  squad that is adequate for mid table and have scuttled enough points to stay up. While this is all negative, we're in a good spot for rebuilding. That requires for Lai to show leadership, Val, sadly, to leave, do all we can to get the deadwood out of the team, and work youth in as much as possible under a new manager. The rest of the season is a free hit to assess what the players are capable of, who need to go, who can be promoted from within, and what players we need to buy. The aim must be to be organized, united, and competitive for next season. Time to look on.
Bang on. 

I'd be picking up the phone to Cov and see how much Robins would cost. They are mid table, not going up or down, and i doubt the compo would be anywhere near Val levels. 

Get him in, reunite him with Stevens at the academy, and get to work weeding out the stagnant dross with a view to a complete overhaul this summer.
Huh  If they win their two games in hand they will be above us in 5th place!   But it's  yes to Robins!