Low/non-alcoholic beer
(01-14-2022, 02:02 PM)yeoman lai Wrote: Guiness 0.0 is very good, if you can get any!

Heard very much the same .. supply is an issue as you say.
(01-14-2022, 02:26 PM)SophLad Wrote: I can't see the point in having the calories without the buzz personally but each to their own.  Like Bibz says, I'd rather have a lemonade if I'm after a thirst quencher (unless maybe at a BBQ/curry and I had to drive).

Most 0% beer has about a third of the calories of the regular stuff. Almost certainly way fewer calories than sugary pop as well. 

low alcohol beer is also a surprisingly good post-workout/run beverage. Lots of electrolytes!

Brewdog Punk AF is pretty bland but their Nanny State is decent.
(01-14-2022, 02:46 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 02:26 PM)SophLad Wrote: I can't see the point in having the calories without the buzz personally but each to their own.  Like Bibz says, I'd rather have a lemonade if I'm after a thirst quencher (unless maybe at a BBQ/curry and I had to drive).

Most 0% beer has about a third of the calories of the regular stuff. Almost certainly way fewer calories than sugary pop as well. 

low alcohol beer is also a surprisingly good post-workout/run beverage. Lots of electrolytes!

The problem is that a good many no/lo alcohol beers have little or no malt (sugar) which is what hops (bitterness as well as flavour) balances in "real" beer.  Nanny State is typical of that lack of balance and thinness, but if you put a quarter spoon of Aspartame in, it tastes miles better.  Ghost Ship and Guinness lo/no don't suffer from that problem (so much).
(01-14-2022, 03:06 PM)hudds Wrote:

The problem is that a good many no/lo alcohol beers have little or no malt (sugar) which is what hops (bitterness as well as flavour) balances in "real" beer.  Nanny State is typical of that lack of balance and thinness, but if you put a quarter spoon of Aspartame in, it tastes miles better.  Ghost Ship and Guinness lo/no don't suffer from that problem (so much).

You know what else they haven't got?  Alcohol.
(01-14-2022, 03:19 PM)SophLad Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 03:06 PM)hudds Wrote:

You know what else they haven't got?  Alcohol.

I refer the honourable gentlemen to the OP and purpose of this FUCKING THREAD.  Now, DO ONE, ponner.
(01-14-2022, 01:57 PM)sideboardbilly Wrote: Trying to lower the alcohol intake.

Can anyone recommend any decent non or low alcoholic beers.

Tried a few obvious ones but not really taken to any.

Thanks

No need to thank me Big Grin 

[Image: 640x640.jpg]
I told you I’ll be back
I like St. Peter’s without (from Tesco )it’s a stout ,I find some of the beers like becks blue give me a bad headache
Council Pop, it's about the best way of cutting down on the booze intake. Can't see the point of paying over the odds for a glorified flavoured water.
Brewdog do a Punk AF which I like.
Tried quite a few last year whilst doing Dry January, and have to say the best of a mostly bad bunch was the Brooklyn Brewery one... it's usually sold in Tesco and Waitrose and is generally the closest I've tasted to having the weight of a decent beer. Nanny State and Punk AF are OK too, but pretty much all traditional lager rip-offs are best left on the shelf or poured down the sink... Moretti Zero is possibly the worst tasting liquid on Earth.

Estrella FreeDam is ALMOST passable.

Tesco do a pre-mixed low alcohol G&T which is really good too, and even better when added to gin as a mixer.