Elvis Costello- Oliver's Army (is no longer on its way)
(01-13-2022, 11:57 AM)MassDebater Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 11:53 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 09:37 AM)Pipkins Wrote: Maybe You Tube & co
Will clamp down on all those music vids relating to the use of the 'n word bitches guns & drugs

Uh oh!!  That’s another strike for “Oliver’s army”

Did you know..... that Costello wasn’t happy with the demo to Oliver’s army and almost gave the song away.  The keyboard player intentionally decided to then add some “ABBA” keyboard chords to the song and it lifted the whole song to a different level and so decided to keep it. 

Did you also know. Costello’s dad wrote and performed the song “secret lemonade drinker” for the tv commercial advertising “R whites“ lemonade?

Did you also know, Costello used to busk outside record label offices to try and get a recording contract?

I believe it's because of the N word that Elvis asked for it to stop being played...

Ahh, I see.  I was trying to rack my brains as to what other word was used used that was causing offence. 

I’m amazed the Arabs in London haven’t complained about the lyrics Big Grin
I told you I’ll be back
(01-13-2022, 09:30 AM)CA Baggie Wrote: I see a fist being shaken at a cloud Spandau. 

There’s millions of offensive songs out there, go listen to the Macc Lads if you want your daily fill.

Dr Jimmy by The Who surprises me that it is still around, I think it’s a great song, but it has some “contentious” lyrics. If you take it in the context of the song about the split personality then it makes sense and is slightly less offensive.

True enough CA, but mainstream hits of the past that are part of the fabric of our rich pop culture is a different thing.

I don't know how there could be a poll finding out the real thoughts of people, but I would say the overwhelming majority in society are very concerned about cancel culture and revisiting the past with a 2020s lens.

There is a very vocal minority, mostly very left of centre that dictate an awful lot of media output now generally through nothing more than taking to social media to vent their outrage. As I've said before I've friends in their 30s, Uni educated lads and they feel the same.

On a separate lighter issue Accidents Will Happen is my favourite Elvis Costello song.
(01-13-2022, 12:28 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 09:30 AM)CA Baggie Wrote: I see a fist being shaken at a cloud Spandau. 

There’s millions of offensive songs out there, go listen to the Macc Lads if you want your daily fill.

Dr Jimmy by The Who surprises me that it is still around, I think it’s a great song, but it has some “contentious” lyrics. If you take it in the context of the song about the split personality then it makes sense and is slightly less offensive.

True enough CA, but mainstream hits of the past that are part of the fabric of our rich pop culture is a different thing.

I don't know how there could be a poll finding out the real thoughts of people, but I would say the overwhelming majority in society are very concerned about cancel culture and revisiting the past with a 2020s lens.

There is a very vocal minority, mostly very left of centre that dictate an awful lot of media output now generally through nothing more than taking to social media to vent their outrage. As I've said before I've friends in their 30s, Uni educated lads and they feel the same.

On a separate lighter issue Accidents Will Happen is my favourite Elvis Costello song.

I don't want to go to Chelsea was mine. I've had to change since our last visit, though!
(01-13-2022, 12:52 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 12:28 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:

I don't want to go to Chelsea was mine. I've had to change since our last visit, though!

'Pump it up' all day long for me
+1 for Pump It Up.

Btw, I reckon the vast majority in the UK wouldn't know what 'cancel culture' was if it bit them on their cervix. Nobody gives a shit apart from the hand wringers, perpetually angry and self important on Twitter imo.
(01-13-2022, 01:30 PM)SophLad Wrote: +1 for Pump It Up.

Btw, I reckon the vast majority in the UK wouldn't know what 'cancel culture' was if it bit them on their cervix. Nobody gives a shit apart from the hand wringers, perpetually angry and self important on Twitter imo.
Yes it's like "woke-, which, IMO, means whatever the user wants it to mean. And they're against it.

What's a cervix? Dodgy
(01-13-2022, 01:34 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:

What's a cervix? Dodgy

I like to be known as a person without one, despite the fluid nature of my username
Pump it up is alright but never really clicked with Costello. Saw him at Glastonbury once and found him rather dull.

We've made a whole industry out of people having opinions and blasting them out on GMB or news night or Talk Radio so that they can get followers and then get sponsorship. It's madness - one of my daughters best friends is the daughter of someone very famous and gets paid to 'promote' products or be associated with a brand by posting pictures of herself on TikTok or twitter or whatever. She also gets loads of abuse from trolls which really impacts her mental health at times unsurprisingly. The games gone Tom.