9 years ago today Albion went 3rd in the Premier League...
(11-24-2021, 08:49 PM)hudds Wrote:
(11-24-2021, 08:22 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(11-24-2021, 06:26 PM)hudds Wrote:
(11-24-2021, 06:22 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(11-24-2021, 05:55 PM)hudds Wrote: We weren't cheated.  We weren't good enough and that match presaged the next season after promotion.

We were cheated, the goal that ultimately knocked us out shouldn't have stood as it was a blatant deliberate handball in the build up.
A bit of handball the ref didn't call, but the truth is we weren't good enough to lay a glove on them.  I didn't feel cheated; we were second best.

We certainly weren't second best that day. Pompey created as little as us and were often on the back foot.
Bollocks!  We passed it around and did fug all.  Pompey didn't need to do anything except take it off us from time to time.  We got a bit of urgency towards the end but got nothiong.  Just like when we got promoted a few months later.   The semi-final was a rehearsal for the next season.  Tippy tappy, nowhere - BANG!  Whimper.

Talking arse again lad. You claimed we were 2nd best. We weren't. Neither side created much that day.
(11-24-2021, 08:56 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(11-24-2021, 06:26 PM)hudds Wrote:
(11-24-2021, 06:22 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: We were cheated, the goal that ultimately knocked us out shouldn't have stood as it was a blatant deliberate handball in the build up.
A bit of handball the ref didn't call, but the truth is we weren't good enough to lay a glove on them.  I didn't feel cheated; we were second best.

We certainly weren't second best that day. Pompey created as little as us and were often on the back foot.
Bollocks!  We passed it around and did fug all.  Pompey didn't need to do anything except take it off us from time to time.  We got a bit of urgency towards the end but got nothiong.  Just like when we got promoted a few months later.   The semi-final was a rehearsal for the next season.  Tippy tappy, nowhere - BANG!  Whimper.

Talking arse again lad. You claimed we were 2nd best. We weren't. Neither side created much that day.
Me talking arse?  Pompey did enough. We tippy-tappied to nowhere. We deserved what we got. Dress rehearsal for the next season, to a T.

Check if it's snowing.
(11-24-2021, 09:00 PM)hudds Wrote:
(11-24-2021, 08:56 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(11-24-2021, 06:26 PM)hudds Wrote: A bit of handball the ref didn't call, but the truth is we weren't good enough to lay a glove on them.  I didn't feel cheated; we were second best.

Me talking arse?  Pompey did enough.  We tippy-tappied to nowhere.  We deserved what we got.  Dress rehearsal for the next season, to a T.

Check if it's snowing.

Not down sarf. Probably ooop north
Same year Sunderland ended up 17th…….
Not many of us lot at that Sunderland game. Under 700 IIRC. And we went third.....
(11-25-2021, 04:03 AM)DemonicBaggie Wrote: Not many of us lot at that Sunderland game. Under 700 IIRC. And we went third.....

Early kick off and on TV. We had taken over 1500 to Newcastle a few weeks earlier.
Unfortunately our form dipped after this game.
(11-25-2021, 04:03 AM)DemonicBaggie Wrote: Not many of us lot at that Sunderland game. Under 700 IIRC. And we went third.....

I was there - then drove 5 hours for a 40th in Hagley.
(11-25-2021, 10:03 AM)MancBaggie Wrote:

Yup, so was I, it's just the irony of how well we played and it took us up to our loftiest ever heights in the prem era, yet for all that people dream of being in the promised land, the support was miniscule. I know we were messed about by an early kick off and tv but we've taken far more to Tranmere midweek in winter when we were truly terrible.
(11-26-2021, 10:57 AM)DemonicBaggie Wrote:
(11-25-2021, 10:03 AM)MancBaggie Wrote:

Yup, so was I, it's just the irony of how well we played and it took us up to our loftiest ever heights in the prem era, yet for all that people dream of being in the promised land, the support was miniscule. I know we were messed about by an early kick off and tv but we've taken far more to Tranmere midweek in winter when we were truly terrible.

I was a drunken mess in Bilbao that weekend… 
Turns out the locals like Sunderland and didn’t take nicely to me celebrating our goals. 
Think I’m still a bit hungover from that weekend… those free pouring Basque-tards.
Hardballs is right, I don't think we understand what an achievement it was to finish 8th that season.

Recently when in the pub with some Blues mates they came out with their regular "we're the only Midlands club with major honours this century" line.

Time and time again I take great pleasure in reminding them... "ha ha, I don't think so lads, we finished 8th back in 2013 with a VERY low net spend, thank you very much"