Mason Holgate
(02-21-2019, 12:59 PM)Moore Than Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 10:58 AM)JoeTheBaggie Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 10:53 PM)Squid Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 10:30 PM)Dumbo Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 10:20 PM)Huggybear Wrote: What we lost in losing Harvey Barnes we have gained in Mason Holgate.Certainly right back was an area that we missed out on strengthening before the season began.

Spot on.

Just like Gayle and Murphy...Holgate turned down our rivals to join us
And yet DM sat down with James McClean, asked him to stay and he said no. He must be gutted now.

I always felt that despite his sectarian views, Albion fans rated his work rate rather than his end product. I bet DM recognised that too. 

I’d have liked him to stay, but his arrogant outburst of “doing better” immediately thrust his character to the forefront. Glad he went. Working ‘ard but playing shite in a good team is a lot better than working ‘ard but playing shite in a shite team.

Not sure why anyone would have wanted McClean to stay. Abject footballer. The Stoke fans think he's a waste of space. They're absolutely livid with us for dumping Berahino, Fletcher and McClean on them at the perfect time for us - and paying us almost £20m for the privilege.

???
Like I said I liked his work rate, someone you could throw on when things arent moving forward. Granted he was never a world beater, but did inject a bit of something. 

Although I do agree, it was a shrewd bit of business to get him off our books after they bought the previous two.
(02-21-2019, 02:41 PM)JoeTheBaggie Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 12:59 PM)Moore Than Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 10:58 AM)JoeTheBaggie Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 10:53 PM)Squid Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 10:30 PM)Dumbo Wrote: Spot on.

Just like Gayle and Murphy...Holgate turned down our rivals to join us
And yet DM sat down with James McClean, asked him to stay and he said no. He must be gutted now.

I always felt that despite his sectarian views, Albion fans rated his work rate rather than his end product. I bet DM recognised that too. 

I’d have liked him to stay, but his arrogant outburst of “doing better” immediately thrust his character to the forefront. Glad he went. Working ‘ard but playing shite in a good team is a lot better than working ‘ard but playing shite in a shite team.

Not sure why anyone would have wanted McClean to stay. Abject footballer. The Stoke fans think he's a waste of space. They're absolutely livid with us for dumping Berahino, Fletcher and McClean on them at the perfect time for us - and paying us almost £20m for the privilege.

???
Like I said I liked his work rate, someone you could throw on when things arent moving forward. Granted he was never a world beater, but did inject a bit of something. 

Although I do agree, it was a shrewd bit of business to get him off our books after they bought the previous two.

Wonder if the Stokies fancy HRK for £15m at the end of season?
(02-21-2019, 02:41 PM)JoeTheBaggie Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 12:59 PM)Moore Than Wrote: Not sure why anyone would have wanted McClean to stay. Abject footballer. The Stoke fans think he's a waste of space. They're absolutely livid with us for dumping Berahino, Fletcher and McClean on them at the perfect time for us - and paying us almost £20m for the privilege.

???

I think his best game for us was against Arsenal when he had to stop Bellerin, he matched him for pace and work rate and totally nullified him. I think he's ideal for a Pulis team because he doesn't see much of the ball, so his limited ability isn't exposed, and all you focus on is his endeavour. Big Dave's style of play would have totally exposed hm. I'm certainly not anti-McClean, and don't agree with the abuse he's been given when we've played Stoke, but we're better off with the money we banked for him. His next move is unlikely to be a team bigger or better than us or Stoke.