Boris Johnson
(10-22-2022, 11:29 AM)foreveralbion Wrote: boris looking less likely now.

can only be good news

Ay? He’s got the 100. Looking more likely than ever.
(10-22-2022, 02:13 PM)bb74 Wrote:
(10-22-2022, 11:29 AM)foreveralbion Wrote: boris looking less likely now.

can only be good news

Ay? He’s got the 100. Looking more likely than ever.

Posted a few minutes ago by Chris Mason (BBC): "Within moments of those around Boris Johnson claiming they have hit the threshold of 100 MPs backing the former prime minister, scepticism from other Conservative MPs. "Hogwash", "absolute garbage", "clearly nonsense" are among the phrases being used.

Why?

Well, the publicly-declared number of backers is much, much lower and — bluntly — his track record when it comes to truth is patchy.

These races are all about generating momentum, even a sense of inevitability.

There are MPs inclined to back him but keen to keep their counsel for now — but you can expect a blizzard of demands that Johnson’s team produce a list if their claim is to be seen to be credible."
They were doing some vox pops of local tory members on the news last night. Not one of them mentioned Mourdant, fwiw I think a combo of her and Rishi may be the only way they could unite the party and salavage a semblance of economic credibility.
To be honest I really think they have reached their Michael Foot moment and will be in the wilderness for a couple of GEs after this.
The Times is reporting: "No 10 officials are preparing to testify against Boris Johnson in the parliamentary inquiry into Downing Street parties....one well-placed source said: 'November will see maybe 40 hours of oral evidence. Partygate will be front and centre again'....Downing Street has handed over documents, emails, pictures and messages to the committee. A source with knowledge of the evidence told The Sun: 'Boris is screwed'"

Meanwhile, ITV journalist Paul Brand tweeted yesterday: "Sources close to Privileges Committee say evidence is so damning that Boris Johnson could be 'gone by Christmas' if he returns. One Tory MP tells me any attempt to kill the inquiry could 'bring down the govt'."

If more Tory MPs had tactically voted for Mordaunt instead of Sunak in the previous contest, we wouldn't have ended up with Truss as PM. Have they learned their lesson this time around? It's simple arithmetic really regarding the divorced from reality Tory Party members:

Sunak v Johnson = Johnson
Sunak v Mordaunt = Sunak (probably)

However, a number of MPs who supported Mordaunt in the previous contest have already either switched to Sunak or Johnson, so the likelihood of MPs who haven't declared why they're votiing for yet working together to bring about a "not Johnson" final two seems remote at the moment.
I just don't get why they can't all see that Sunak is a pretty obvious choice at this point.

Do I agree with him on most things? Probably not.

Is he an actual capable politician who understands the position we're actually in? Yes.
The public are clearly enthused by the latest faffing by our so called government.

LAB: 56% (+5)
CON: 19% (-4)
LDEM: 10% (+1)
REF: 5% (+2)
GRN: 4% (-3)

via
@YouGov
Boris has pulled out.

And by “pulled out” he really means didn’t get enough support.
(10-23-2022, 08:17 PM)Duffers Wrote: Boris has pulled out.

And by “pulled out” he really means didn’t get enough support.

He claims he has 102 nominations and would win the public vote but has decided now is not the right time to make a comeback. Naturally.
First time he’s pulled out of anything…
im sure everything will settle down with rishi in charge  Smile .

how many months before an election?