British TV for locals
Apparently there is a demand by government that tv shows on publicly owned TV channels should reflect Britishness. Form an orderly queue to define what this means in reality?

Goodness gracious me!
(09-16-2021, 11:25 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Apparently there is a demand by government that tv shows on publicly owned TV channels should reflect Britishness. Form an orderly queue to define what this means in reality?

Goodness gracious me!

You do realize this is more of a USP thing rather than ideological or nationalistic, don't you? Or maybe you misread on purpose just so you can bang your fuggin cymbals again...
On the upside, it means no more Mrs Brown’s Boys.
(09-16-2021, 12:01 PM)Fido Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 11:25 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Apparently there is a demand by government that tv shows on publicly owned TV channels should reflect Britishness. Form an orderly queue to define what this means in reality?

Goodness gracious me!

You do realize this is more of a USP thing rather than ideological or nationalistic, don't you? Or maybe you misread on purpose just so you can bang your fuggin cymbals again...

I asked a question,  you are the only one saying anything about ideology or nationalism and getting arsy again. What is our USP? Is it the Office? I’m sure we sold that to the the US? Is it Goodness Gracious Me? Is it Vera? Is Luther wtf does it actually mean? Any show depicting Britain is uniquely British ffs.
A Cleobury man on his way to set fire to a peregrine's nest is interviewed by the BBC  and complains about inconsiderate parking by "people from Birmingham". In the background some fly-tippers can be seen unloading a burnt out Toyota Yaris from a flatbed.

To a soundtrack of This is Us by Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris.
I'm struggling to think of what content is made by public service broadcasters that isn't, what would be called, British. And why is here a need to legislate for this when there are other small issues like a pandemic, brexit, going into a cold war with China, supply chain issues, cuts to services and a million other fucking problems to deal with rather than Downton having some random Oirisher in it.

Can someone give me an example of what they are legislating against? Or is this just noise and distraction from the rest of the shitshow.

Edit: Just had quick google and found that Band of Brothers had the BBC as one of the production companies, something that will be legislated against in future. Glad they're cracking down on this sort of waste of public money.
(09-16-2021, 12:52 PM)baggy1 Wrote: I'm struggling to think of what content is made by public service broadcasters that isn't, what would be called, British. And why is here a need to legislate for this when there are other small issues like a pandemic, brexit, going into a cold war with China, supply chain issues, cuts to services and a million other fucking problems to deal with rather than Downton having some random Oirisher in it.

Can someone give me an example of what they are legislating against? Or is this just noise and distraction from the rest of the shitshow.

Edit: Just had quick google and found that Band of Brothers had the BBC as one of the production companies, something that will be legislated against in future. Glad they're cracking down on this sort of waste of public money.

Killing Eve was set across Europe, so I assume this will be frowned upon also. It’s absolute nonsense by an embarrassing government obsessed by culture wars.
Must admit, I'm at a loss as to what they're pushing here. Whittingdale provided examples of the sort of programmes which met the criteria - I'm curious as to which programmes he considers don't.