Derek McInnes
(11-02-2021, 03:45 PM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 12:28 PM)Squid Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 09:57 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 08:47 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Serious questions need to be asked at the Football League given the amount of players and managers that are leaving contracts in League 2 to move to the Conference. The structure is all wrong.

Why ?

Some of these Conference teams will get into the League because they have a lot of money, usually in the short term, e.g. Rushden & Diamonds, Colne Dynamos, Hornchurch(?)

What is needed is better financial regulation e.g. Bury , Macclesfield, Oldham to stop money laundering

That really is the hidden darkness in football. In a recent Athletic article about Forest, on of their own fans put forward that the ownership of Forest is one big money laundering scheme by their rather shady owners.

I find this really interesting. 
Re McInnes, I think his chances of establishing himself in England are maybe gone, other than the likes of Walsall, Shrewsbury etc, he should, having done o.k at St Johnstone & Aberdeen always be able to go for the St Mirren / Hamilton Accies / Falkirk type of jobs.
It`s the money laundering bit that really needs looking at. In this country, ( not just in football ), we tend to think that this sort of corruption happens in Bulgaria, Macedonia or ex Soviet Republics. Yeah, right.
You mention Forest, wouldn`t surprise me. Last year, on a holiday in Devon, we watched their version of Central News. A lad from Torquay United supporters club or whatever was on. Said they had been taken over by some `investor` who bought the club for £10, paid off their £ 100,000 debt, and had plans for a 20,000 seat stadium (???? ), hosting international U21 / rugby world cup games, and was in talks with `An ex England international ` to come in as manager. No one has seen this bloke since, and they get no response to requests to meet him.

That's horrendous. It should not be allowed to happen.

This is a very enlightening thread. I didn't realise non-league was so awash with cash. As it grows in popularity the day may come when the football in the National League is better than League One/Two.
(11-02-2021, 03:59 PM)Squid Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 03:45 PM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 08:47 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Serious questions need to be asked at the Football League given the amount of players and managers that are leaving contracts in League 2 to move to the Conference. The structure is all wrong.

Why ?

Some of these Conference teams will get into the League because they have a lot of money, usually in the short term, e.g. Rushden & Diamonds, Colne Dynamos, Hornchurch(?)

What is needed is better financial regulation e.g. Bury , Macclesfield, Oldham to stop money laundering

That really is the hidden darkness in football. In a recent Athletic article about Forest, on of their own fans put forward that the ownership of Forest is one big money laundering scheme by their rather shady owners.

Re McInnes, I think his chances of establishing himself in England are maybe gone, other than the likes of Walsall, Shrewsbury etc, he should, having done o.k at St Johnstone & Aberdeen always be able to go for the St Mirren / Hamilton Accies / Falkirk type of jobs.
It`s the money laundering bit that really needs looking at. In this country, ( not just in football ), we tend to think that this sort of corruption happens in Bulgaria, Macedonia or ex Soviet Republics. Yeah, right.
You mention Forest, wouldn`t surprise me. Last year, on a holiday in Devon, we watched their version of Central News. A lad from Torquay United supporters club or whatever was on. Said they had been taken over by some `investor` who bought the club for £10, paid off their £ 100,000 debt, and had plans for a 20,000 seat stadium (???? ), hosting international U21 / rugby world cup games, and was in talks with `An ex England international ` to come in as manager. No one has seen this bloke since, and they get no response to requests to meet him.

That's horrendous. It should not be allowed to happen.

This is a very enlightening thread. I didn't realise non-league was so awash with cash. As it grows in popularity the day may come when the football in the National League is better than League One/Two.

Similar situation is already happening in Scotland. With their non-league 'Pyramid' now in place, theres more money swishing about the Lowland League/West of Scotland league than ever. Cove and Kelty have recently got promoted into the League at the expense of Berwick and Brechin and are storming it. Clubs in League 2 are struggling to attract players as many clubs in 'non-league' pay more and are centrally based. WOSFL clubs Darvel and Clydebank (2 leagues below Lg2) recently beat Lg2 clubs in the Scottish Cup.

Also many ex-Junior clubs attract far more support than Lg2 clubs. Teams like Auchinleck, Irvine Meadow, Pollok regularly get 700 through the gates. Far more than the 200/300 that the likes of Stranraer and Cowdenbeath get.
(11-02-2021, 03:53 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 01:22 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:

Why ?

The EFL salary caps making it difficult for teams in League 1 and 2 to spend their way to promotion, but the National League is allowed to continue unchecked. It's something that needs to be applied throughout the pyramid, otherwise sides in League 1 and 2 are losing out. Cambridge could offer the League 2 top scorer enough money to stay with them in League 1, he's now playing for Wrexham.

Completely this... not sure how National League clubs who spend their way to promotion then adapt to a higher league with a lower budget however. Will be interesting to see how Wrexham adjust if they do make it up (seems unlikely at present) - they're currently running by far the highest budget in non-league football, and their owners have said they will be investing further in January...

All that being said, Stockport are a big club for that level, and are a bigger club than Hartlepool and I would imagine have some money behind them as they've been pulling players out of League Two to join this summer so it's understandable by Challinor has left... If he's serious about progressing his career, he has a much better chance of making League One with County in the long run than he does with Hartlepool.

(11-02-2021, 03:45 PM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote:

Why ?

On McInnes, no idea where he goes in the English system really.

He's gone as far as he will go in Scotland as the Old Firm wont give him a job, and he's already won as much as he's likely to win with Aberdeen... especially now Rangers are back in business effectively ending any hopes of 1st/2nd place!

Regardless of all the issues he faced at Bristol, it looks like he'll only be remembered for how it ended... Shame you'd think his work in Scotland would at least give him hope of a decent L1 or Champ side.

Said it before... If I were in his position, I'd be having a great time earning a boatload of cash managing a club in the Thai divisions or something similar in the Far East... British managers seem reluctant to go on a world tour!
Yes, SW4. As I say don`t know where Dekka goes from here. Shame, I thought he was great for us,as a player / captain  at the time, and would welcome him at The Hawthorns anytime ( could he be assistant manager ? ) As you mention, maybe a L1 / ambitious L2 side. A move abroad would maybe be a good thing. As a kid in the 70`s / 80`s, I recall several English / Scottish players & coaches going to Malta / Cyprus etc.
I have great respect for McInnes, a great captain and leader.
Excellent management experience too. The Bristol city job seemed ideal for him. I don't know anything about behind the scenes stories (I bet someone at Albion could have a few such stories in a few years). But I've always believed that man management is just that. If you can do it at Aberdeen, you can do it anywhere, except maybe with the biggest egos.
Get a good support team behind him and I'd like to think that he'll be a successful manager.
Hope so.
Nobody has got Bristol City into the Premier League since he left, yet!

Few managers have moved from the Scottish Leagues and done well in England Adams has done ok but Neilson and Pressley did not stay long
(11-01-2021, 10:11 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Apparently interviewed for the Stockport job, but has missed out to Dave Challinor from Hartlepool.

Really not sure where his career goes from here!

Probably replace Val in January  Big Grin