Academy players on bench.
(08-28-2021, 06:51 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 06:50 PM)Man from delmonte Wrote: I guess it does show the thinness of our squad. I’m assuming Kipre and Castro have both picked up knocks as I would’ve assumed they’d be in the squad.

Ultimately, like Bielsa amd Klopp. Val likes a small senior squad and support comes from young players and academy graduates.
In principle I think that’s a good approach. The main issue with that is whether the kids are good enough. I would hope that Ismael has seen enough so far to convince him that those involved in the squad are fully capable of making the step up.
(08-28-2021, 06:50 PM)Man from delmonte Wrote: I guess it does show the thinness of our squad. I’m assuming Kipre and Castro have both picked up knocks as I would’ve assumed they’d be in the squad.

Ultimately, like Bielsa amd Klopp. Val likes a small senior squad and support comes from young players and academy graduates.

Spot on Birdy. Bielsa's use of his youth team since the minute he went there gets massively overlooked. He's unearthed some brilliant players in the process too. He sees them as an extention of the first team and like Val has all age groups playing the same way.

Hopefully Val can replicate his success!
Interesting that the bloke on Sky just said how strong our bench is... Big Grin
(08-28-2021, 06:55 PM)Man from delmonte Wrote:

In principle I think that’s a good approach. The main issue with that is whether the kids are good enough. I would hope that Ismael has seen enough so far to convince him that those involved in the squad are fully capable of making the step up.

See, I remember watching a famous manager speak at a coaching seminar years ago. He didn't really buy into young players being good enough or not once they've got through the academy, they obviously can play. It's getting them game time,and monitoring their mental attributes, are the professional, do they train well and are they willing to learn. It was there I heard the idea that it takes a long time for anyone, other than prodigies to settle into the Championship or Premiership. 

Essentially, what he was getting at was, want to develop youth, you have to play them. If they've passed the modern academy structure, they should be capable of playing for most teams outside the Champions League, IF they apply themselves and get the key game time.

Loans aren't always beneficial either, means learning a different style, in weaker facilities too often. Was a genuinly interesting seminar.

For example, with us. Field, never looked out of place, but lack of game time stalled him, and poor man management killed him off, no one will ever convince me playing Barry ahead of him was a better option.
(08-28-2021, 06:48 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: As always, not always here. Twitter is full of it.

Ignore Twitter and improve life. Ends.
(08-28-2021, 06:48 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: As always, not always here. Twitter is full of it.

Twitter is full of shit. Don’t use it for this. Thousands of morons looking for a reaction.
(08-28-2021, 07:58 PM)Fido Wrote:

Ignore Social media and improve life, ends.
(08-28-2021, 09:08 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 07:58 PM)Fido Wrote:

Ignore Social media and improve life, ends.

I imagine so.  I have never dipped my toe in.  I have heard what lies beneath.
(08-28-2021, 07:02 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 06:55 PM)Man from delmonte Wrote:

See, I remember watching a famous manager speak at a coaching seminar years ago. He didn't really buy into young players being good enough or not once they've got through the academy, they obviously can play. It's getting them game time,and monitoring their mental attributes, are the professional, do they train well and are they willing to learn. It was there I heard the idea that it takes a long time for anyone, other than prodigies to settle into the Championship or Premiership. 

Essentially, what he was getting at was, want to develop youth, you have to play them. If they've passed the modern academy structure, they should be capable of playing for most teams outside the Champions League, IF they apply themselves and get the key game time.

Loans aren't always beneficial either, means learning a different style, in weaker facilities too often. Was a genuinly interesting seminar.

For example, with us. Field, never looked out of place, but lack of game time stalled him, and poor man management killed him off, no one will ever convince me playing Barry ahead of him was a better option.
Agree with this Birdman.

You give young players the best possible chance of progress by playing them.

And you give them an even better chance when you can integrate them into a team of senior players.. 

Even when a youngster turns out ultimately not to be good enough it doesn't follow that playing them in a game will adversely affect the outcome.

Liam O Neill didn't make it with us,  but playing him at Swansea in a crucial game, didn't stop us winning it.
Twitter is quite fun when Arsenal have just been thrashed 5-0 by an actual adult football team.