Rowett
(02-01-2019, 08:41 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 08:33 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 08:04 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 07:57 PM)albion_pigeon Wrote: I guess Rowett's football was also too close to the bone considering all of those recent years under a certain person.

If I not they played more expansive football they would never of got relegated.

Playing more expansive football got us three 9th place finishes directly after Pulisball and his 40 points, no more, no less had kept any such lofty ambitions in check.

We didn't get relegated because we played expansive football. We got relegated because we suddenly started bringing in extortionately priced dross, and failed to address the weak-as-pisswater defence. 

We both went down together, so if playing expansive football was our downfall, what was yours?

A combination of not sacking TP earlier and employing Pardew. That said we would have been relegated two years earlier without the former. You went down as you said because of your piss poor defence which had no protection under Hughes whose success in his first season was built on organisation that started to fall apart when he had a feel years at the wheel.

But you could say the same about Pulis. Did well with other people's players at the Albion but then fell apart when he started to build his own team.

All managers take over another man's team. I can't remember a single other instance where a relegation was blamed on a manager being sacked 5 years earlier.

Hughes did brilliantly for us then for reasons that can't be reasonably explained, he lost the plot. The relegation is on him. I'll be damned if I give the credit for the good times, playing a completely different style of football, to a previous manager who'd also lost it big time by the time he was sacked.
(02-01-2019, 08:50 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 08:04 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 07:57 PM)albion_pigeon Wrote: I guess Rowett's football was also too close to the bone considering all of those recent years under a certain person.

If I not they played more expansive football they would never of got relegated.

Playing more expansive football got us three 9th place finishes directly after Pulisball and his 40 points, no more, no less had kept any such lofty ambitions in check.

We didn't get relegated because we played expansive football. We got relegated because we suddenly started bringing in extortionately priced dross, and failed to address the weak-as-pisswater defence. 

We both went down together, so if playing expansive football was our downfall, what was yours?

A combination of not sacking TP earlier and employing Pardew. That said we would have been relegated two years earlier without the former. You went down as you said because of your piss poor defence which had no protection under Hughes whose success in his first season was built on organisation that started to fall apart when he had a feel years at the wheel.

But you could say the same about Pulis. Did well with other people's players at the Albion but then fell apart when he started to build his own team.

All managers take over another man's team. I can't remember a single other instance where a relegation was blamed on a manager being sacked 5 years earlier.

Hughes did brilliantly for us then for reasons that can't be reasonably explained, he lost the plot. The relegation is on him. I'll be damned if I give the credit for the good times, playing a completely different style of football, to a previous manager who'd also lost it big time by the time he was sacked.

DK I said my replies in gest. I don’t and never will understand the anger that some have towards managers or players. I have my preferences others have there’s. It’s just a soap opera.
(02-01-2019, 09:00 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 08:50 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 08:04 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: If I not they played more expansive football they would never of got relegated.

DK I said my replies in gest. I don’t and never will understand the anger that some have towards managers or players. I have my preferences others have there’s. It’s just a soap opera.

You say that as though you think I've taken offence Derek. We've had enough of these knockabouts for us not to take it too seriously, though I'll admit I get more wound up than you. We're all different. But as I said on another thread, it's good to be back. It's because of this sort of sparring that I said it.